Varying Intensities Tailored to Individuals?

Jim,

Do you ever tailor the template %'s to the individual athlete being trained?

For example on squats if 5+ session was a 10RPE (i.e they failed to make 5) but the 1+ session of the same block they managed to get 2 or maybe even 3
But then the opposite effect on bench where on 5+ they got 6/7 but failed a single in the same block , would you vary % to cater to the athlete or just reset the TM?

If your squat topped pit at 5 reps.
And you barely make 7 reps on bench.
Your starting TM may be too high.

Anyway. Generallt a lifter has to have 5 strong reps at 95% or even 5 strong reps at the TM. In every lift. Which would make for some more reps in the 5+ too.

Sometimes Jim will double a person’s training max and halve their percentages.

1 Like

Yes for the first block of the cycle , but if your a few blocks/months into the cycle i was just wondering on Jim’s thoughts,
if he
a) leaned more to reset the training max and start again ( im guessing he would 9/10 go with this as hes an advocate of start light and progress slow)
or
b) occasionally if he would play with the percentages for individual athletes to push the most out of their last 2/3 blocks in a cycle. (and if and when he does this , what leads him to this decision)

Funny that, Jim never stuck me as the kind of guy to piss into the wind . . . where are you getting your sources of information from? Ronald McDonald?

I think @oscare is being sarcastic.

On the 1+ week you should get a strong five. This happens to be my next session and I need to hit 8 on the press and 11 on the deadlift to break a pr.

When I started with 531 just after SS. I set it up so that I hit 5 on the 5s week, TM was to high, I stalled.

Reset the TM and try and break the pr from the last time you where at that weight.

Or, are you looking at jokers for heavy single practice? Jim talks about these but has since said too many people misuse them. I was one of those people.

He does have guidance on peaking programmes as well.

Short answer: just reset the TM.

Long answer:

The TM is a tool that mathematically simplifies submaximal autoregulated wave periodization by making it so that you only have one moving variable (the TM) and many fixed variables (the percentages for the work sets), instead of having one semi-fixed variable (1RM) and many moving variables (the percentages for the work sets). If you start varying the percentages of the sets, then the TM is used in vain.

The programming is not designed to ride on the edge of failure, but to train way below failure. Jim knows that not all lifts and lifters have the same rep strength ratios. A person’s 5 rep and 1 rep max in the squat might be very far apart, but in the press they might be very close together. This is also why we program supplemental and assistance work. As you get to know your own body, you may start using different supplemental programs for different lifts.

1 Like