T Nation

Varying Bench Grip

CT, I’ve been using the layer system and benching twice a week. I am a wide bencher (index finger on rings) so all of the focus tends to be on my chest. The problem is that my triceps are lagging behind. In order to balance things out, I have considered alternating wide and closer grip every other session or doing 4-5 sets of close grip or high board presses after my regular bench sessions. I’d like to get your opinion on what you thought was better. Thanks.

[quote]mkrozewicz wrote:
CT, I’ve been using the layer system and benching twice a week. I am a wide bencher (index finger on rings) so all of the focus tends to be on my chest. The problem is that my triceps are lagging behind. In order to balance things out, I have considered alternating wide and closer grip every other session or doing 4-5 sets of close grip or high board presses after my regular bench sessions. I’d like to get your opinion on what you thought was better. Thanks.[/quote]

Honestly the best option would be to get a Dead-Squat bar and do bench press from pins with it, BY FAR the best triceps exercise I’ve ever done… it’s lightyears ahead of any close-grip work you can do.

A second best option is to to narrower grip benches from pins, only doing the top half of the movement. A full movement with a narrow grip puts too much strain on the shoulders IMHO.