T Nation

Variety of Fats

I know that getting your protein from a variety of sources is the best way to ensure that you’re getting enough of all the essential amino acids. I also know that it’s best to eat a variety of vegetables to get a wide range of vitamins and phytochemicals.

My question is this. Since there are different types of omega-3 fats (EPA and DHA for example), should I be getting my omega-3 fat, and other types of fat, from a variety of sources?

You’re already eating a variety of foods. If these include fishes and a variety of whole grains, you’re probably already getting a variety of fats.

I don’t know what kind of wholegrains your eating, bikemike, but the ones I eat aren’t exactly oozing with fat. Anyway I’m primarily concerned with omega-3.

Regarding fish, as I understand it only fresh fish have any substantial amounts of omega-3. Since these are more expensive than canned, plus they’re a pain in the ass ( since you have to cook them) I stay well away from those babies.

Here’s the deal. I’m trying to create a nutriton programme where I eat pretty much the same stuff every day. I’m varying my protein and veg throughout the day. I was wondering if I can just rely on flaxseed oil for omega-3( along with EPA and DHA supplements), or should I throw in some walnuts as well?

I Like throwing in walnuts, avacadoes. fish, fish oil, flax meal, various things that move and or make noise, cocnut. yes vary it for both a variety of fats and variety in your diet.

Yes, I forgot about nuts. Don’t forget to eat your nuts. They have all kinds of EFA’s.

PM me about your diet. I do
the same thing and can give you some suggestions. If you’re interested.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
Yes, I forgot about nuts. Don’t forget to eat your nuts. They have all kinds of EFA’s.

PM me about your diet. I do
the same thing and can give you some suggestions. If you’re interested.[/quote]

Ditto.

Cannned alaskan salmon has a much greater concentration of omega 3’s than the farm raised fresh you get at the grocery store. It’s right by the tuna in the grocery store.