Variety and Atrength Loss?

I’m cutting at present, and I rely strongly on sticking to the same lifts for each body part as a gauge of whether I’m losing muscle as represented by strength loss. I’m also aware though that variety is crucial for keeping muscles working to their full potential, but I’m worried that if say I did for 3 consecutive workouts DB OHP, military press and standing alternating DB OHP as my main shoulder lifts (one each workout), I’d potentially lose strength as those three vary in terms of the amount of weight I can handle. Ie if I did my strongest, sitting DB OHP in week one, then did standing alternating DB OHP in week two (with a lower weight as its more challenging) I’d be concerned that I’d have dropped strength come the next time I did seated DB OHP…? Thoughts?

My thought:

You are over thinking things a bit. If you’re cutting, especially if your implementing an aggressive caloric deficit, then your strength levels are inevitably going to drop a bit BUT it shouldn’t be too drastic.

If you want to have “variety” in your workout then start your workout with Seated DB Press and then do OHP next. That way you’ll get in your variety and you can keep your exercise sequence the same which will make it easier to gauge any potential strength loss.

You’re not only doing one shoulder exercise per workout are you? (Assuming your on some sort of BP split and not a full body routine)

[quote]gregron wrote:
My thought:

You are over thinking things a bit. If you’re cutting, especially if your implementing an aggressive caloric deficit, then your strength levels are inevitably going to drop a bit BUT it shouldn’t be too drastic.

If you want to have “variety” in your workout then start your workout with Seated DB Press and then do OHP next. That way you’ll get in your variety and you can keep your exercise sequence the same which will make it easier to gauge any potential strength loss.

You’re not only doing one shoulder exercise per workout are you? (Assuming your on some sort of BP split and not a full body routine)[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Apologies- I should’ve added, I’m doing a upper/lower split with a frequency of 2 x pwk for each.