T Nation

Varicocele ... Anyone?

Hey guys,

Anyone here have a varicocele? If yes, what was your experience with it … and did it affect your T levels?

Thanks!

I had/have one, left side. Doc said it wasn’t a big deal. Not sure if it affected T, didn’t ever really occur to me but now that you mention it I’d kind of like to know myself.

I had 2 of them removed last year. There was no direct effect on T-levels but my sperm count increased significantly. The wife’s not pregnant yet but we continue to have fun trying. On a side note, it took about 3 months to be able to really squat again with significant amount of weight after the surgery. Hope that helps.
Kevin

[quote]metallicaman wrote:
I had/have one, left side. Doc said it wasn’t a big deal. Not sure if it affected T, didn’t ever really occur to me but now that you mention it I’d kind of like to know myself. [/quote]

Mine is on the left side. I had slightly lower-than-expected T levels (560 ng/dL) … . thats within the normal range, but Im 24 and lead a very healthy lifestyle, and lift heavy … so I expected it to be more. Although I did not measure Free T.

Still, I feel like my T levels can benefit from removal of the varicocele, so I might get that done.

[quote]shafik23 wrote:
Mine is on the left side. I had slightly lower-than-expected T levels (560 ng/dL) … . thats within the normal range, but Im 24 and lead a very healthy lifestyle, and lift heavy … so I expected it to be more. Although I did not measure Free T.[/quote]

Actually, if you eat very healthy, to the point of avoiding satured fats, your T will be slightly lower. Heavy lifting will also decrease T, which is slightly ironic, but true. TC often discusses this relation between T and heavy lifting.

I have one on the left side (which is the prominant side in which it occurs). The Dr. told me to start wearing groin support when I lift. I bought a jock strap (for lack of better term)for lifting days and it works like a champ. I notice a great difference when I lift heavy objects and I am not wearing support, OOOOUUUUCCCHHH!!!

I have one too, a small one on the left. No problems since I switched to wearing boxers or going commando about 5 years ago. With briefs sometimes I would get uncomfortable.

I can get some pain if I do too much bike riding. I have a daughter, so I guess my boys are strong. All the Doctors I saw about it told me not to worry b/cuz it was a low grade varicocoele, you cant tell by looking, it just looks like one of them hangs low.
on a side note my friends call me ET Extra testicle