T Nation

Van Halen on Kimmel


#1

http://on.aol.com/video/jimmy-kimmel-live---van-halen-performs--runnin-with-the-devil--518738483

I grew up on these guys, and Eddie was the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. BUT,..... I'm a little uneasy watching (and listening) to 60 something year old Diamond Dave.

Thoughts?

S


#2

Ugh. Dave’s awful. Poor phrasing, flat in many spots. Reminds me of an old Catskill comedian trying to be a rockstar!

He was always a goofy dude: funny and self-deprecating, but at least he was flamboyant and active up there in his younger days, and his vocals were at least powerful.

But, whatever. At least he’s having fun. Who wouldn’t want to be onstage with Eddie?


#3

Dave is cool, though. No doubt. I remember hearing a quote by him which was something like “I’m a family man. I personally started three or four last year.”

As for him not being able to sing, well, how many vocalists of that style still can in their later years? Have you heard Ozzy lately? Or Chris Cornell? Robert Plant?


#4

When he did a high kick, Robin on Headline News said,
"Be careful or you’ll need a hip replacement."
LOL


#5

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#6

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Dave is cool, though. No doubt. I remember hearing a quote by him which was something like “I’m a family man. I personally started three or four last year.”

As for him not being able to sing, well, how many vocalists of that style still can in their later years? Have you heard Ozzy lately? Or Chris Cornell? Robert Plant?[/quote]

Ozzy never sang great. Can’t even be brought up in the same sentence as Cornell and Plant!

Cornell and Plant were once a vocal gods. Still sound good but range and power have diminished with age.


#7

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Oh my. Where has all the hair gone?[/quote]

Sad, isn’t it?


#8

Dave has an eye for women, that chick was real hot…

That said, he sucks. I would much rather they hire someone who can sing the songs in key, and then step back so i can watch Eddie shred. It’s always seemed to me like dave thought his signing/front man ability was on par with Eddie’s playing, and it just is not even close. I would even say dave has no talent, and his schtick has been old for 30 years.

I’d still pay money and show to up watch Eddie play if some yodeling country singer was doing the vocals, so it doesnt matter too much.


#9

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I would much rather they hire someone who can sing the songs in key, and then step back so i can watch Eddie shred.

I’d still pay money and show to up watch Eddie play if some yodeling country singer was doing the vocals, so it doesnt matter too much. [/quote]

Eddie doesn’t seem to have lost a step. That at least made me smile. (I still have one of his old picks from the 5150 tour)

S


#10

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
http://on.aol.com/video/jimmy-kimmel-live---van-halen-performs--runnin-with-the-devil--518738483

I grew up on these guys, and Eddie was the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. BUT,… I’m a little uneasy watching (and listening) to 60 something year old Diamond Dave.

Thoughts?

S[/quote]

There’s an art to knowing when to quit.


#11

That was bad. Eddie has lost more than a step compared to where he used to be. But, if Eddie had fun doing it, cool.


#12

Absolutely crazy good.


#13

Eddie is fucking on fire. Everyone on on fan forums is raving about how unreal he’s sounding nowadays, probably better than EVER, even compared to tours in the eighties, nineties, whatever. Guy is clean and sober and just sounds on point now. And his tone is spine-rattlingly awesome. :slight_smile:


#14

Proof that what you are listening to really his shit and always will be.


#15

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Proof that what you are listening to really his shit and always will be.[/quote]

Lmao what a retarded post. Had a bad night. But Van Halen still isn’t very good.