VAN HALEN at the GARDEN! (5/23/08)

Damici, you get to have all of the fun. It’s not fair.

Oh, I could show you fun, my dear. If you only knew the half of what I could show you . . . ! :wink:

[quote]MsM wrote:
Damici, you get to have all of the fun. It’s not fair.[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:
Oh, I could show you fun, my dear. If you only knew the half of what I could show you . . . ! :wink:

MsM wrote:
Damici, you get to have all of the fun. It’s not fair.

[/quote]

Fuck the sexual innuendos, I want more VAN HALEN!

(The rest aren’t all that clear, as you can see).

Dave’s like 53 and has abs. Wolfie? 17 and, well, no abs . . . .

Dave looking right at me, but it looks like I’m on acid or something . . .

Papa Van Halen and son.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Before the show started, as the arena was still filling up they had these two giant remote controlled blimps flying around the arena. You can’t tell from this shot, but they’re each about 12 or 15 feet long, and I think they’re hard plastic or something, and they have the VH symbol on them.

Whoever was flying them had a good time swooping in low and buzzing the crowd. Pretty damn cool.

Alright, this is the end of the ones that are worth showing.

A little more Edward for y’all. Here’s the beginning part of his solo – you know, where he’s just getting “warmed up” for the serious playing. :wink:

*** [EDIT: I just tried to fix the video. Hopefully the sound works this time].

Awesome shots dude! Looks like a great show. Great seats - nothing like being right there.

I saw VH about 6 times with Roth (twice on Fair Warning, Twice on Diver Down and twice on 1984) and with Hagar twice…

Great stuff Damici - thanks for sharing. : )

GREAT stuff, D!

Amazing!

I’m glad Edward is doing better, and that the Tour appears to be a success.

Question: what happened to the original Bassist that Wolf replaced?

Thanks, D!

Mufasa

No problem.

It’s not really clear why they had a falling out with Michael Anthony. On VH’s last tour (with Sammy in 2004) Sammy said that Eddie wanted to replace Michael back then, but that Sammy refused to do the tour without Michael, so they agreed to keep him.

Dave makes it sound now like Eddie just wants to take advantage of the chance to play with his son while he’s still at the top of his game, but you don’t just replace the guy who’s been there for almost 30 years unless there was some sort of falling out.

That’s all I know.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
GREAT stuff, D!

Amazing!

I’m glad Edward is doing better, and that the Tour appears to be a success.

Question: what happened to the original Bassist that Wolf replaced?

Thanks, D!

Mufasa[/quote]

I was there too but no where near as great of seats as you. What a fucking show! I was simply blown away by how completely in control Eddie was. Diamond Dave is looking pretty good for his age.

Bought a shirt and wore it on Sunday - There were so many people asking about the show walking the streets of Manhattan it was scary.

I sincerely hope this is not the last one!

Sammy did an interview on a morning show about a year ago and was talking about how VH got a new manager and he sold the soul of the band. This was about the time they made the Greatest Hits album. Sammy said the record company and the manager were swindling the artists but Eddie needed cash.

I don’t know if it was true but Sammy sounded pretty bitter. I heard about Sammy saying he wouldn’t tour without Michael but he didn’t mention it in the interview. Here is an exerpt article I found at MTV.

—“It’s not like it was totally unexpected,” he told MTV News during a recent interview, “only because of the strain from the 2004 tour and how everything’s been since then.” Anthony is referring to the band’s 2004 reunion jaunt with Roth replacement Sammy Hagar, which grossed almost $55 million before ending on a sour note (at the conclusion of the run’s final gig, guitarist Eddie Van Halen smashed one of his guitars and quickly walked offstage).

“That’s the one thing that’s really kind of sad,” Anthony continued. “It would have been cool to get onstage with Dave again, but I’m not going to whine about it, because that’s the way it is. Why waste my time trying to make a stink about it?”

Instead, Anthony is going to be hitting the road with Hagar this fall for a tour that kicks off in Biloxi, Mississippi, on October 19, and runs through November 17 in Sioux City, Iowa. The tour will feature Anthony’s Mad Anthony Express, Los Tres Gusanos, the Other Half, and Sammy and the Wabos.

“I just want to go out and play for the fans,” Anthony explained. “Sammy sold part of his tequila company and made a lot of money on that, so he doesn’t have to do anything if he doesn’t want to. But that’s what it’s all about �?? getting out there and playing. I’m not doing the Van Halen tour, so Sammy asked me to come out with him again.”

He said everyone “and their mother” has been asking him why he’s not doing the VH reunion run, and he’s not sure what to tell them. Anthony dismissed rumors that his exclusion from the reunion tour had anything to do with his partnering with Hagar in the Other Half.

“I was touring with Sammy when Van Halen wasn’t doing anything, and people said that got under their skin, and they felt like I was betraying them or whatever, which I really wasn’t,” Anthony explained. “I wasn’t going to sit home and do nothing. My wife wanted my ass out of the house. So when Sammy called and said, ‘Hey, want to come out and jam a song or two?’ that’s how it started. I don’t know why I wasn’t asked to do the tour.”

In fact, he admits he hasn’t spoken to Eddie since 2004 and agrees with many of the band’s fans, who reject the notion that the forthcoming Roth run is a bona fide reunion.

“I know in the past there’s been a lot of fighting and drama, but I’m not into all of that, especially now,” he said. “And I’m not going to sit there and whine about it and call these guys mother------s and the whole bit. It is what it is, and if [Eddie] wants his kid to play with him, fine. But they’re really throwing him into the lion’s den right off the bat. This is going to be a tough enough tour for those three guys, having not played for so long, and then throwing [Wolfgang] in the mix? … I hope he does OK. It’s sad that the fans aren’t going to see the original lineup.”

But Anthony was most upset by Van Halen’s reported attempts last month to erase him from the band’s 35-year history. Fans lashed out at the band after photos of Anthony on Van Halen’s official Web site were allegedly removed or replaced by an image of Wolfgang. The pictures were restored within hours, soon after fans took notice and began sounding off on various VH message boards.

“When I went on the Web site, that was probably more upsetting than anything else,” he said. “On the first album especially, they replaced my picture with a picture of Wolfgang, and I was like, ‘What’s someone trying to do here?’ I am proud of Van Halen’s history, be it good or bad or whatever. I love everything about the band. I guess the fans spoke out, because the next day, they changed it back. I really don’t know what to say to that. If that’s the way they want to play it out, then that’s the way they’ll play it out.”

The tour, he said, is “going to be interesting this year, because earlier in the year, Sammy did this cruise down to Cabo San Lucas, and he asked me if I wanted to play on the ship. I thought, ‘Yeah, that’d be cool to do,’ but I didn’t want to get up there and just play with his band and do Hagar songs as I always do,” Anthony said. “So I thought, ‘I’ll grab his guitarist Vic Johnson and his drummer David [Lauser], and we’ll learn some early Van Halen stuff,’ and somebody called it the Mad Anthony Express. We did a couple of shows and played the really old stuff: ‘D.O.A.,’ ‘Atomic Punk.’ I lead-sang it, and it was so much fun. So we did it again Father’s Day weekend in Lake Tahoe, and I put this thing together. We opened the show, and everybody loved it so much, Sammy’s going, ‘Hey, we need to go out on tour and open with the early stuff.’ So here I go.”

Anthony said the tour with Hagar will run for about a month. Then there will be a brief break before the tour commences. They plan to keep it going up through next summer. He also said there’s a chance he and Hagar will start working on music together and that it’s possible the duo might release a record some point down the line.

Awesome stuff Damici - looks like you had a good time.

Thanks Damici.

[quote]Damici wrote:
Oh yeah, about that guitar pick I mentioned earlier . . .

The silver one is from Eddie, the black and blue one is from Wolfie. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :-)[/quote]

The one on the left kind of looks like the pick of destiny! gasp

• AB

[quote]Damici wrote:

The silver one is from Eddie,

• AB[/quote]

What brand of pick is it? Does it have a gauge, or say like heavy, light, or medium on it ?