T Nation

Value in Switching to Organic?

Is there value in switching to organic food in general? Is the value worth the added cost?

1) I know grass-fed beef is way better on so many levels. It's a bitch to find, though. What's your take?

2) What about the 2nd-tier, the corn-fed but hormone-free meat, at least that you can find in some grocery stores. Does it make a difference? Has it been shown to change our hormone levels?

3) Pesticides in vegetables--enough xenoestrogens to have an effect on hormone levels? Is switching to organic veggies/fruit make enough of a difference?

an analogy would be, is there a difference between Surge Recovery and no explode in post workout potential? (the right answer is yes, Surge gets its dick sucked by 72 experienced but still wholesome uni students)

now monetary cost, i atually dont know. in the long long long term i cant tell you for sure if your saving money on good quality food. but in terms of bodybuilding, or athletic pursuit, id say get yourself good quality food, the best you can find, and save money on protein powder. 1 natural antelope, training for years with arthur jones, has enough protein to make your PC muscles hypertrophy

[quote]TheBlade wrote:

1. I know grass-fed beef is way better on so many levels. It’s a bitch to find, though. What’s your take?

[/quote]

Lamb is almost always grass fed. Organic where possible.

ALthough wagyu beef cannot be beat.

Check out the thread on Salmon (farm raised v.s. wild caught). Their is some great info in their regarding grass fed beef from Bill Roberts.

Edit: sorry i referenced the wrong thread it was this one.

Kanada,
NOexplode is useless, Surge helps recovery. Even in the worst case that’s an unfair analogy. It’s not like nonorganic beef has no valuable nutrients.

Either way, what specific things are the issue (pesticides, estrogens…) and why?

redgladiator,
And lamb is also at least $8 a lb

But that is good to know. Lamb is also delicious

MUtrows,
damn. Sounds like Bill Roberts suggests the hormone treatments have no effect on the meat and likewise for antibiotics. In which case unless it’s grass-fed and so with different fatty-acid profiles, organic is not worth it

What about xenoestrogens in pesticides? Does it make it worth it to get organic veggies/fruits?

You know they use pesticides on organic fruits/veggies right? In a lot of cases the organic pesticides are more detrimental then the non organic ones. Just wash your normal fruits and veggies and save some money.

nump

Check out www.ewg.org for info on what to buy organic vs what to buy conventional.