T Nation

Valsalva if I Have Hypertension?

ok… so im in a bit of a catch 22

im only 22 but ive had hypertension for most of my life… oh well… what can i do… the best im trying to do is condition my cardio system to be stronger and get good rest and nutrition…

it cycles between moderately high and not very high depending on blablabbla…

anyway… my catch 22 is i want to be really strong… i dont want to be some perma-weakling and feel like some disabled old man just cuz i have some basic high blood pressure issues… so it irritates me to hell when i see reccomendations of stay away from heavy weights, lift light weights more reps, etc… basically … bitch techniques as i see it…

ive been doing squats, and ive been doing stronglifts 5x5 program… now i am up to 195 in squats at 5x5… my big concern is i dont want to cause any back injuries for myself as i progress… however… ive read to ensure this i must do the valsalva maneuver…

problem is once ive tried the valsalva maneuver while doing squats and after my set i felt kinda wierd and my heart was beating very hard and fast… i didnt really feel comfortable with that… ive read about peoples eyes popping and stuff like that from doing heavy valsalva lifts… i dont want my eyes, or my brain, or anything else to pop…

Mark Rippertoe says thats all bullshit and the valsalva is safe… and that your body eventually builds tolorance to the temporary high boosts in blood pressure… which im inclined to believe because 1. i trust him, and 2. as ive been exercizing more and more my overall endurance/ability of my cardio system goes up… so as before i would have heavy heartbeats at basic weighlifting… after working out for a few months i no longer have the problem

blood pressures of mine range from a low 130/70 … to a high of like 150/90… depending on like… whatever… it just goes up and down day by day month by month…

i have been doing everything possible to lower my blood pressure, and i believe that once i make my heart stronger and all that that my blood prssures will go down… because currently my cardiovascular system is so low on endurance i can barely play a game of ball without feeling like im going to pass out… which again i know is from low indurance and not the BP itself since ive had similar issues with lower level exercizes before which went away once i pusehd myself…

ive been to the cardiologist many times and all my tests are fine, heart is fine, ecgs are fine, stress tests, are fine, everything is fine except my high bp numbers …

anyway… i want to get strong and not lift little sissy woman weights… i dont want to hurt my back… and i dont want to rupture my eyeballs…

soo… what should i do? any ideas or suggestions?

is it ok to breathe out while coming up or will that still hurt my back?? i found if i breathe out while coming up i dont have that big heart beating thing… but i dont want to hurt my back either…

anyway… advice?

thanks

I’ll try to be brief because I am at my clinic working with patients, but here’s some info for you.

1. You really don’t have to do the valsalva maneuver when coming out of the hole or any other lift for that matter, if you learn how to properly engage your core muscles, specifically the transverse abdominis

2. When you do perform the valsalva, do you get light headed, dizzy or feel like passing out? Or is it simply you feeling your heart beating really quickly for a few seconds because the rapid heart rate is normal. There’s no need to go into the physiology but not really something to worry about.

3. To sum it up, if you gradually get stronger in the squat (0r any lift for that matter), your core muscles will surely become stronger allowing you to handle weight without hurting your back. This is assuming your form is proper. So Yes you can breathe on the way up but you still have to be able to build and keep the pressure in your core during the lift.

1. What exactly do you mean when you say you do the valsalva maneuver. Walk me through everything.

2. 130/70 isn’t that bad. Not that great for a 22 year old but not the end of the world.

3. YES, you can exhale on the way up. Absolutely.

4. Your eyes, brain or cherry won’t pop from holding your breath during squats.

[quote]kakno wrote:
3. YES, you can exhale on the way up. Absolutely.
[/quote]

Turn it into a manly roar and increase power output by 20%