T Nation

Vacation Workout - No Gym

Hey all,

I’m looking a workout routine while I’m on an extended vacation.
Vacation duration is 4 weeks. Location: All the hell over Europe.
Problem is, I have no idea if there’ll be a gym anywhere in sight.
I’ve been lifting relatively heavy and don’t want to lose the gains.
Anyone have any thoughts on training programs while on vacation?

Also, has anyone had experience taking supplements (protein powder, pre-peri-post workout drinks) through customs? I don’t mind getting screened at customs, I just don’t want to lose what I’ve paid my hard-earned money to purchase.

Appreciated,

Capi

[quote]capi wrote:
I’m looking a workout routine while I’m on an extended vacation.
Vacation duration is 4 weeks. Location: All the hell over Europe.
Problem is, I have no idea if there’ll be a gym anywhere in sight.
I’ve been lifting relatively heavy and don’t want to lose the gains.
Anyone have any thoughts on training programs while on vacation?[/quote]
If you’ve been lifting heavy, and presumably with low reps, it might be a better idea to take the four weeks to enjoy your vacation and try to get a few basic bodyweight workouts throughout the week.

Consider it a deload, a chance to give your joints a break from heavy iron, and work in a higher rep range than you’re used to. In four weeks, if you stay generally active and don’t let your diet go entirely to hell, you won’t regress any significant degree and you’ll bounce right back when you return to the gym.

You could throw together some kind of series with push-up variations, squat and/or lunge variations, core exercises (plank, etc.), and some mobility drills. That should do you just fine.

This, I’m not sure of. I’d imagine the rules are a bit different in each country. You might want to start a new thread in the Supplements forum just asking about this. You’ll probably get some better feedback.

A very portable and rewarding piece of training equipment is the TRX. If you can fork up the $150-250 depending on where you get it and what bundle, this is a great option. You can hook it up to anything sturdy: tree, jungle gym, post, etc. If you’ll seriously be in the middle of nowhere there are also door anchors where you can workout right in your room.

Now the workout routines are semmlessly endless where you can workout strength, endurance, or anything if you learn how to easily use it. The armed forces are big advocates of the TRX, where it gives them a means to workout while their in the deserts of Afghanastan and other foreign countries for extended periods of time.

You can order them through the TRX website, perform better, or even get them from a store like city sports if you have one around you.

Otherwise, I would follow Chris’ advice. Good luck.

Playgrounds. Do pullups while hanging from a swingset. If you find a fence/railing with a corner (unable to phrase this well, but where it turns 90 degrees) you can do dips. Also possible on a ladder by a pool or on a bridge by a lake. In Moscow I found two perfect parallel bars. And an outside gym on Cyprus.

Walking around all day with a big backpack aint that bad for the calves either. Mine grew a centimeter from 11 days in Moscow.

Hotel room workout…basically-

Pushups
Pullups (you can usually hold the door open with something and just use the top of the door to grip)
BW Squats and lunges
Take 2 chairs, put a suitcase on each and use them for bar dips

[quote]Dread wrote:
Pullups (you can usually hold the door open with something and just use the top of the door to grip)
[/quote]

I broke a door by climbing on it as a kid. Don’t think a pretty strong adult should try it. Depends on the door of course…

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Dread wrote:
[/quote]

I broke a door by climbing on it as a kid. Don’t think a pretty strong adult should try it. Depends on the door of course…
[/quote]

Many if not most hotel doors are very heavy duty steel. If you’re talking about breaking the hollow wooden type in your house as a kid, I hope you mowed plenty of lawns to replace it!!

[quote]Dread wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Dread wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Many if not most hotel doors are very heavy duty steel. If you’re talking about breaking the hollow wooden type in your house as a kid, I hope you mowed plenty of lawns to replace it!!
[/quote]

Good point. We were able to fix it pretty easily, but I still had to mow a lot of lawns.