T Nation

Vacation Planning Time

@Irishman92 HAHA :blush: Australia would also be a fantastic long vacation! I’m not sure what would be good there either but I bet the Wildlife would be interesting to see. I always think about Steve Irwin when I think about Australia.

1 Like

@ActivitiesGuy You Always Have The Best Reviews!!! All of that was helpful especially for a long weekend idea. Yes good olé WV mountains…

I’ve never been to Michigan but wanted to find a cool spot there to visit. Of course Hawaii is a dream trip when I have more time to burn. Thank you for your thoughts!
1 Like

Gonna have to put my vote in for Alaska. Stayed in Anchorage for 10 days last summer with the lady. Food was amazing, plenty of great restaurants and coffee huts in the area. We could have gone to a different mountain for each day we stayed, glaciers you can hike on, gorgeous beaches,plenty of areas within driving distance of the city. Can also have someone fly you around on a bush plane . Bears are cool too if they dont kill you.

2 Likes

New Hampshire

1 Like

Yes it’s a resort. Definitely a couples thing and yes we love the beach so it was awesome. There are other things to do like snorkeling, visiting the ruins, or doing and eco tour. Our resort had pretty much anything you wanted to choose from.

1 Like

If you want a combination of outdoorsy / pretty / fun, Traverse City and the surrounding area is great. There are a lot of wineries (one day my wife and I just drove out to the end of the peninsula and started working our way back, hitting four or five wineries along the way for tasting and snacks). The Sleeping Bear Dunes are a really cool thing that you can hike up, on and around. There’s water so you can go sailing, water-skiing, paddle boarding, whatever your thing is on that score. The scenery from a lot of the high points is gorgeous (one of the wineries on the peninsula has an incredible view where you can see the body of water on both sides). It’s a pretty cool change of pace if you want something that’s kinda like an exotic trip without spending the money for a really exotic trip, lol.

It takes about 9 hours to drive there from Pittsburgh. Depending on exactly where you’re at in WV, it could be a little shorter or a little longer (if you’re over by Parkersburg or Wheeling, might be a little shorter since you’re already further west than I am; if you’re in southern WV it could be longer).

1 Like

Ohiopyle is pretty awesome if you like kayaking and rafting. There’s also mountain biking, hiking, a pretty cool rope/obstacle course, and probably other stuff that I’m not aware of. Don’t know if there’s enough to fill a whole week but it’s close to WV so you could just do a long weekend. I’ve never stayed there because I used to live about 90 min away, so I can’t speak to the accommodations.

1 Like

Hawaii, most beautiful place I’ve ever been.

Took this from a helicopter:
IMG_0479

1 Like

@theonecamko glaciers you can hike on?!? So cool!! Also the restaurant thing is a plus because half of a good vacation is the amazing food :slightly_smiling_face: If I go I will try not to get killed by bears lol. Thank you!

1 Like

@polo77j I’ve honestly never considered New Hampshire and need to do my homework on what is there.

@ActivitiesGuy that sounds like a perfect long weekend for sure! It wouldn’t be far from me but would feel like it which I love. Awesome!

@Steel_Nation I can’t believe I haven’t heard of thisOhiopyle :smiley: those activities are absolutely my thing and I believe it said historical area which is a plus. Rafting and kayaking is so much fun. I’m not sure how far from me but there should be a cool place to stay. I am excited people are posting good weekend spots too!!

@anon50325502 BREATHTAKING :heart_eyes: so amazing! Do you know a good area specifically? I need to get there and get in a helicopter.

I love that whole area. I’ve spent weeks there one and two days at a time hiking and fishing. There’s also Nemacolin Resort and a ton of other stuff.

Actually, I keep thinking about revisiting Seneca Rocks and the surrounding area. We used to take weekend trips there when I was a kid.

1 Like

The beaches in Pensacola, FL are world-class. Orange Beach,AL is a little west of there; the beaches are every bit as nice, and it is slightly less crowded. There are also plenty of fishing charters available, as well as some kayaking and hiking opportunities.

1 Like

They have a small shore line but a few nice beaches, Lake Winnepasauke is really nice and it’s situated in mountains … great hiking, great outdoor activities … the wife and I go up there a few times a year - it’s great 4 season environment

1 Like

We did the helicopter ride in Kauai and when the wife and I go back that’s where we’ll stay. It was, in our opinion, the best of the islands. We stopped at Maui (awesome luau - one of the best evening we had), Kona, O’ahu (Pearl Harbor and the Arizona are must if you like history at all), Kauai (we actually flew over the famous waterfall that’s used in a lot of movies like Jurassic Park), and one other port the name of which is escaping me (saw an “active” volcano" - just steam really, but we were there while magma was flowing on the other side of the island).

It really was a fantastic, once or twice in a lifetime, trip.

We took a 15 day Carnival Cruise around the islands, which is the only thing I wouldn’t recommend unless you love being on the ship, a lot.

2 Likes

haha, don’t believe anything Flip tells you about me!

But yeah you should totally take the trip to the UK. It’s small enough that you can see everything really easily

1 Like

You really know how to sweet talk a girl…

1 Like

quit trying to cock block me, bro. I’ve almost sealed the deal!

2 Likes