Vacation Eating?

I’m wondering what the current trend is when you go on a trip for a week overseas, or anywhere where you don’t own a kitchen (i.e. eating out is main staple besides supplements). Not sure if it’s a big deal if your trying to do a clean bulk for the majority of the time.

Just looking for some tips and experiences.

What I did last time I was in that situation was focus on eating less calories than maintenance, with a huge focus on protein.

Since when the delicious vacation meals come, they’re not going to be too protein dominant, and I have some room for the extra calories from earlier in the day. In the end it pretty much evened out.

Why do you have to eat crappy on vacation?..where exactly are you going?

Holy Bullshit. Even Ronnie Coleman let loose when he went on his cruise…and I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone in this thread is in danger of matching what he accomplished. Muscular Development did a whole segment where one of the writers tried to match the quantities of pancakes, steaks and eating utensils that got inhaled by the Mr. Olympia.

I sure as hell hope you guys LOOK the part if you can’t even relax on a vacation.

Its a vacation for a reason. Let loose and enjoy yourself. I went on a cruise over the summer and ate some of the best food I ever had.

You want to know the “current trend?”

Instead of being a sheep and following what everyone else does, why don’t you do what most falls in line with your overall goals?

Personally, I’d look forward to sampling to local cuisine if traveling internationally.

[quote]earthquake wrote:
Not sure if it’s a big deal if your trying to do a clean bulk for the majority of the time.
[/quote]

This statement makes your question all the more bizarre.

Unless you are anal with your “clean bulk,” I don’t see the problem.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Holy Bullshit. Even Ronnie Coleman let loose when he went on his cruise…and I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone in this thread is in danger of matching what he accomplished. Muscular Development did a whole segment where one of the writers tried to match the quantities of pancakes, steaks and eating utensils that got inhaled by the Mr. Olympia.

I sure as hell hope you guys LOOK the part if you can’t even relax on a vacation.[/quote]

This answer kicks ass.

VACATION is the key word here. If you are dedicated, than vacations are probably the only time of the year when your out of the gym for more than a day.

Enjoy it, relax, and eat.

Worry about real life when you get back to it.

I found this thread surprising. Very little actual advice given.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I sure as hell hope you guys LOOK the part if you can’t even relax on a vacation.[/quote]

Doesn’t it seem like the opposite should be true? Like if I walk around at sub-10% body fat and 4000kcal is maintenance I could goof around for a week or two and not worry much, whereas if I’m 20% body fat, and only need 2500 calories, I’m much more likely to set myself back by indulging for a week or two?

I don’t eat any very different when on vacation. Europe is big on bread, I still pass. If everyone else at the table is like “This is the best bread ever”, I’ll have a piece. Of course, that’s a different kind of vacation than going on a cruise, where the majority of the people are there to gorge at the buffet, and maintain a buzz the entire trip.

My advice (finally, after my little rant): grocery stores are great. If you’re going somewhere foreign, they’ll still have all that interesting foreign stuff, but ingredients and portion controls are much more managable.

Only thing I worry about on vacation is not getting enough protein. Meals out are carb/fat heavy. Definitely indulge and eat whatever you want, but having an extra shake/bar or two isn’t a bad idea!