T Nation

V-Form Back Depends on Morphology?

Hello, i work my back since a “long time” and i am carreful about the execution of all of the exercices for the back. And iam curious how and why some peoples they have the back form like a V, ?
i try to find the good word for explain that, all of peoples have different limite the length, so some peoples even if they work their back, they will never have the V and the others one they will get because they have the morphology for that, for the V form ?

thx,spasiba,merci

They’re just really lean.

Quickly what i have in mind

1. not enough back/lat muscle mass
  2. too much fat on the love handles

Everybody can have the V-tape, but yes your insertions and physiology will made everyone different from each other

P.S. You’re not speaking of the christmas tree? Don’t you?

2 Likes

Many times people have trouble using their lats or “feeling” their back muscles when they lift. So they don’t get great back development.

Or they pull too much with their arms and biceps and the back doesn’t get good work.

Or sometimes people use more traps and mid-back “thickness” muscle instead of lat “width” muscle.

If I use an overhand, wide grip on pulldowns or chins it’s easy to use more biceps that lats. Or if I do rows with and overhand, wide grip I use more upper back than lats. So I could work “hard” on back stuff and not get a wide back.

Now I’ve been using more neutral grip on rows and pulldowns, with my elbows more tucked to my sides. And trying to pull towards my hip in an “arc” motion to build lats and back width.

2 Likes

noo the christmas tree hehe, i will try to find a good pictures, but the christmas tree it is also nice, but u need to have a really low body fat i think for that ?

" Many times people have trouble using their lats or “feeling” their back muscles when they lift. So they don’t get great back development. "

For sure, i read about that, but do u think that it is really important the " wide grip " or pronation or supination for the devolpment of the back ?

i will try to send picture and video of the exercice, but my phone it is in a shop close because of this f***** virus

Would have to disagree here, a lot more goes into having a wide back than being lean, and plenty of people who aren’t that lean have large backs and shoulders. There are also plenty of really lean people who have no lats because they don’t know how to activate them properly in training and have just trained upperback their whole careers.

Lats + big side delts and traps + a reasonable waist (doesn’t have to be six-pack lean) = V.

1 Like

ok thank, i will make a video of the pull up and row for take advice, iam just focus on the Scapula, to feel them correctly, just maybe wide grip it is not so good for me, for me the “V” back, i do my full body home, 2 exercices by part of body, maybe isn’t enough for make a back, and more easy in a split, i don’t know, so when i can make a video i will share it

Hey i take some pictures, i would like your advices about my weakness (a lot huhu) so i training in my house since 2 month, before i start the full body in the gym 3 time by weak something like that, and i took my full body here, i don’t want split never pussy isolation for me (irony)
that was the program before, i didn’t have to much time before this virus for training this one

Bench dumbbell/Dips
Back squat/front
Pull up
stiff deadlift
military press
Rowing barbell
Curl barbell dumbbell ect
push up tight grip elastic resistance

I know my arms are fucking weak and shoulder i think, i try to work them hard, i have long arms so… i don’t know they are slow, i will kick them, also my calf… aha i didn’t work them so i will start also, and my neck for to be like KEN the survivor.

I hope my front arms will growth and big strong i don’t feel them when i training like a ghost member

My goal it is to be the KEN LE SURVIVANT so i need to training hard

1m80 for 69 kilo, i eat a lot now so i take fat a bit, i don’t care of abs for the moment but i work them with Gank and other exerices 2/3 time by week, i just try to not take to much fat but i will loose them after when i will arrive in my goal 85 kilo or 80 kilo i don’t know

thx for any advices thant u can give me, i will open a training log when this virus is finish, iam fucking motivate i dont know what happen
So For the V back i will send u a video when i can also for show how i execute Pull up and row barbell, i hope i will get this V back aha

i don’t know how to take correctly pictures of my body so if u have some exemples i will take it.
Chest for me it is easy, even if here they don’t look “big” i take easly chest even if i work them just with Dips like actually i just use dips and push up tight grip, in this picture iam “cold ?” i didn’t training before to take that

For the moment i training in my house with my program
2 exercices chest leg back
military press
row barbell
curl or whatever for biceps and push up tight grip for triceps
i have elastic resistance for push up and dips and 40 kilo for squat so 1 minute rest and 3/4 sets

Yeah man, you’ve got some traps and rear delts built up nicely. It looks like your rows are working your upper back well.

But what you’re doing isn’t hitting your lats much. Here’s an article with some pictures and videos that talks about hand and elbow position during rows or chins to hit lats vs mid back.

Here’s a video showing a barbell row done with a neutral grip, elbow close to body, to hit lats.

This video shows a couple drills to Feel you lats and get them working before your lifts.

2 Likes

Thank man, i will read everythings, i will improve my program with 4 training i have free time rest so i can try to work hard

1 Like

ok ok i start to read, so i will explain what i understand if u can help for my understanding thx

They explain that if we want to focus a precise point that will depend of the grip, so some exercices are better for the wide and some other exercises for the thick.

So if i do rowing dumbbell exemple i can more isolate the lats/teres first because it is a neutral grip and because i can focus more easily one hand a at time.

Supination grip for chin up will more focus the lats but in my case i feel more in the upper back i believe, so i will use the video that u send me before to start chin up for try.

" Grip Width A closer grip or shoulder-width grip is usually more ideal for targeting the lats."

So maybe it is good for me to add rowing dumbbel for focus the lats ? so i can do dumbbel row 2 time by week and 1 time row barbbell and continu chin up also, what do u think about this idea ? because i training with a fullbody so i have 2 exercices for the back that i need to choice so chin up supinated first and row dumbbell.

That said, one reminder is to have elbow-to-wrist alignment when you’re in the fully contracted position of a pulling exercise. It’s a great overall position for the joints to be in to fully maximize the area of the back you’re trying to bias and can keep you from compensating with other muscle groups.

Do u have a exemple ? exemple for the row dumbbel to be carreful to move back my elbow to the maximum ? iam not in the gym club so my choice about the exercices will be a bit limite maybe, but i understand i think totally.

So i think that for me the upper back is ok, i know how to work him, just need more focus on my lats, my only possibility it is your video and row dumbbel or if u have some suggestion of other exerices that i can do with a barbbell or dumbbel but the row dumbbell seems good with chin up.

When i execute row barbbell i feel also more the middle and upper back but it is more difficult to isolate, i will try to be carreful with my technique, i make some video when i can for get advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBmaLGeJyc

This one look very good, just i can’t in my house so i will do the same with dumbell and to not use to much the shoulder for pull, for the chin up that will to much difficult to focus more the lats but still is a good exerice, maybe i will try to push more my chest front when i will do some chinup

thank again

1 Like

just what do u think also about chinup weighted ? i think that will fuck the execution no?

Yes, you’ve got it!

I think dumbbell rows, elbows close to your body will be a Great move to hit your lats. I would have mentioned it, but I wasn’t sure you had dumbbells. If DB rows easy to set up and do, definitely do those.

If you don’t feel the supinated chins in your lats, can you use a neutral, palms facing each other grip?

Using the “lat activation” before the chin ups is a good idea.

Yes, I think your doing a good job with upper back, and some time focusing on your lats will work well. I like your plan to do lats twice and upper back once for awhile.

That said, one reminder is to have elbow-to-wrist alignment when you’re in the fully contracted position of a pulling exercise. It’s a great overall position for the joints to be in to fully maximize the area of the back you’re trying to bias and can keep you from compensating with other muscle groups.

He means to keep your elbows lined up with your wrists when you row or chin up. Like don’t have your hands so wide they are outside your elbows. Or so very narrow that they are closer than your elbows. The author believes you’ll use more back and less biceps that way.

You really seem to understand the important concepts, don’t worry much about that.
I think you’ll do great, good luck!

1 Like

I think dumbbell rows, elbows close to your body will be a Great move to hit your lats. I would have mentioned it, but I wasn’t sure you had dumbbells. If DB rows easy to set up and do, definitely do those.

yeah i can do that, just 12 kilo but i will do a lot of reps and fast rest

If you don’t feel the supinated chins in your lats, can you use a neutral, palms facing each other grip?

yeah i have this things it is good ? just the space it is not large for the neutral grip, like in the picture

Using the “lat activation” before the chin ups is a good idea.
okok

Yes, I think your doing a good job with upper back, and some time focusing on your lats will work well. I like your plan to do lats twice and upper back once for awhile.

Yeah because in the fact chinup work also upper back even if it is not like the barbell row or other exercices.
So i will not lost my gain i think, chinup and dumbbell row will be a good combination i think also. Maybe even one sets of dumbbell row for make hot the last before chinup ?

He means to keep your elbows lined up with your wrists when you row or chin up. Like don’t have your hands so wide they are outside your elbows. Or so very narrow that they are closer than your elbows. The author believes you’ll use more back and less biceps that way.

yeah i think i understand more close elbow for feel more lats, that look logic, but when i can i make video and that will be perfect for look myself and get advice if is not good.

Spasiba man

1 Like

All these tips are good. But…

How long have you been actually training for?

2 Likes

Maybe you could try this grip? I guess in the doorway you would need to keep your head on one side, but you could alternate sets maybe.

kd makes a good point, it takes time to build muscles. But less time if you can get them pumped up and sore!

1 Like

for the moment i just do “basic program” i training in the gym 2 month maybe, and 2 week in the house but before ago i training also but i was not regular, to much beer and lazy sofa book bitch

but of what we talk actually i didn’t know everythings or no i know a bit just i just was thinking that chinup and row barbell is enough for the lats, but not in my case

i know that will take some time, so now i will take picture for myself and hee like that i will see the “evolution” but i will be just limited a bit

yeah i will try that tomorrow, u think that is better of the neutral grip of my stuff ?

It’s good to learn how to use the lats well. The biggest factor though is the lack of time training consistently.

It’s going to take years, building quality muscle takes a long time.

but if u don’t work correctly and don’t feel ur lats that can take a life do get them, if u don’t work your calf they will not growth, i see a lot of people who training a long time and they didn’t have good lats