V-Diet, the Second Time Around. 15 Years Later

I use this powder form: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7VZIDG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00F7VZIDG&linkCode=as2&tag=tnation07-20&linkId=dbcda13bbf993655d5aa5d7e7e84a1d3 Pretty gross mixed in water, but fine tossed in a shake.

sorry to hear about your friendā€™s passing.I remember watching him along with Mac Wilkins as two of the dominant discus throwers of their time.

That was a fun time. I rarely made the finals during that era!

Quiet day today. I had an odd day yesterday.

One thing: the weight loss on my ā€œmuffin topā€ area is really obvious. I find how we lose fat to be an area that needs serious study. Certain areas lean right up on some people, the next personā€¦even from the same familiyā€¦loses size/fat in a completely different way.

When we got water weighed at Utah State for some study, there was a football player with a chiseled six pack at 24% bodyfat. Longterm, he developed diabetes after he left sports and died young (no moral judgement hereā€¦just making a point). I was 8%ā€¦seriouslyā€¦and smooth.

Itā€™s genetics, yes, but I would love to know the whys.

Nice drop in my bodyweight this morning. I will do the official weigh in later, but after my meditation and walk, things are bright again.

Yesterday, I had guests come train with me and it was very nice. We did a bunch of KB work. One young lady was born with an issue and it was interesting not only training her but working through appropriate work.

I was called an ā€œableistā€ recently. I didnā€™t know what it meant. Honestly. I train deaf and hard of hearing clients and athletes (I can do ASL at a low level), I have several clients with MS, I have worked with friends with Parkinsonā€™sā€¦but somehow I am a horrible person.

Working with this young lady reminded me that I am not good at whatever standards the internet has set for humanity, but I am good with working with people. Itā€™s the opposite of ā€œI love humanity, itā€™s people I canā€™t stand.ā€

My daughter, Lindsay, bought the whole V Diet package and is doing it, too. When the box of supplements showed up last week, I wondered if I wasnā€™t consuming MD fast enough!

She did have a good idea; shift the meal earlier in the day. So:
Shake
Shake
Meal
Shake
Shake

I did that yesterday and I think she might be rightā€¦if workable.

5 Likes

Youā€™d think the underwater weighing would be accurate, so thatā€™s pretty crazy.

Both Thibaudeau and Berardi have told stories about getting their body fat tested. They were tested by dozens of trained people using $500 calipers on the same dayā€¦ and the measurements were all over the place. Then thereā€™s the issue of sub-abdominal or visceral fat: visible abs but fat storage underneath, and it canā€™t be pinched. Usually presents as ā€œhigh and hard belly fatā€. Goes away faster than giggly subcutaneous fat, but much worse for your health.

Then thereā€™s my doc. Makes me get on a bioelectrical impedance scale every visit so Iā€™ll be nice and depressed for the rest of the day. He later admitted to me that he likes that scale because it reads very high and scares his patients into making better life choices. The bastard.

Fun topic for sure, but I always go back to: how do you feel and how do you look? Happy? Then forget the percentages.

2 Likes

Weight, on the scale, clearly down. Mirror indicates some great progress. Feeling good.

Front squats: 165 five sets of two
Jerks: 180 three sets of two

Heavy hands and ankle weights for a 1.6 mile walk. Lots of sweating. Things are coming around nicely. The weight on the bar feels lighter. Iā€™m wondering out loud if O lifting is helped by bodyfat loss.

1 Like

Easy day todayā€¦dropped a lot getting a new fence today. Lots of walking. Weight is holding at a nice lower level.

I feel pretty good. Not much more time on thisā€¦

3 Likes

Another good weigh in. I feel much better today. Lots of deaths in my life lately. Now, thatā€™s an interesting sentence.

Snatch Complexes for five rounds

Snatch Pulls up to a really high single with 180
Clean Pulls up to 230
Front Squat three sets of three with 190

Walk 1.6 miles with ankle weights. I have a busy day of Coaching Circles, so Iā€™m sitting a lot.

3 Likes

congrats on the progress! do you have any plans on transitioning out of the diet once done?

Thank you, Chieftain. Yes, the biggest takeaway is that:

I like that Flameout at every meal.
Those Curc tablets really seem to impact me.

Iā€™m keeping the Metabolic Drive protein shakes in the future.

I like less meals.

Iā€™m traveling to Rhode Island today so I missed my O lifting. I will get it in tomorrow, I hope.

I felt kinda bad yesterday. I took a sauna and nap and rallied up. Weird. Fun day, lots of writing and physical activity, Tonic workoutā€¦

No idea what hit me. It seemed to just wave in and wave out.

Reading ā€œWonderworksā€ by Angus Flletcherā€¦right up there with David Denbyā€™s Great Books.

2 Likes

I could use a nap. Iā€™m getting ready to speak here at PB in Rhode Island. O lifted today here at the convention. 145 snatch, 175 clean and jerk. Feeling good.

1 Like

Iā€™m back home and officially a year older.

That was a LONG travel day. I will do my best to train and get everything inā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m tired, but I got my five sets of two with 165 in the front squat and my two doubles in the jerk with 190.

I seem to have some bar fear with the jerks but today was really god.

Heavy hands with two poundersā€¦mini band walks.

1 Like

I walk a dog (sometimes two) that never took to strict leash training. Dani and I joke that weā€™re training grip, anti-rotation, pushing and pulling, plus light GPP. Itā€™s a joke, but is it? I swear itā€™s a calorie suck!

:smiley:

Happy Birthday.

Absolutely. So, here is the template:

Hard lifting: walk only after.
Medium lifting: Heavy hands
Light lifting: HH, ankle weights, and ā€œmaybeā€ a weight vest

Walking daily is clearly something that helps me.

1 Like

Thank you

Landing the plane on the V Diet. Almost finished. Heavy pulls (snatch up to 185 and clean up to 240) Front squat, two doubles at 200. Heavy hands walk with two pounders before training for 1.6 miles, morning walk before, too.

I"m down about 8 or 9 pounds depending on the time of day. Two pounds a week is a lot. A lot.

Soā€¦part of the reason I do this is to jump start my discipline. I learn incredible things doing this. First, nightly protein, for me, is a gamechanger!
Next, you fall in love with tastes again. Mike Brown opened a sugar packet and I could smell it, taste it, from feet away.
My sleep is so much better. Better sleep, better fat loss. Itā€™s true.
My training took NO hit at all, but I donā€™t know how doing this again would be better or worse, I just donā€™t know.
The fish oil is wonderful to addā€¦again.
That circumin (whatever) pills work. Better than the normal stuff. Flat outā€¦work.

Obviously, more to come.

6 Likes

Iā€™m doing better. I felt kinda awful all day yesterday. I snatched 145 and Clean and Jerked 185 just to get some lifts in; 1/6 mile Heavy Hands (two pounders) with ankle weights (5 pounds). Then, coached the discus.

I think, long term, I will be able to keep five pounds off as I move back to ā€œnormal.ā€ For 28 days, thatā€™s pretty amazing. The places that are most obvious in the fat loss:

My muffin tops. There were never bad, but it is obvious.
My overall belly size. Itā€™s clearly not as distended. I always strive to look awful in my belly pictures so I will have to play with this a bit.
My face: night and day better.

Long term ideas:
Coffee
Fast
Train and Walk
Meal
Metabolic Drive shake
Meal
Metabolic Drive shake

The other food option was:
Meal
Metabolic Drive
Metabolic Drive
Meal

I will play around with this a bit.

5 Likes

Love the updates sir! Thinking about doing this diet soon, so good to hear from others.

1 Like