V-Diet, the Second Time Around. 15 Years Later

I picked up a little infection that put a fair amount of ick throughout me. So, today was a perfect day for pictures, weight, measurements and all the rest. I cheated on the weight and waited until after dinner JUST to get a lot of momentum at the start. I weigh, generally, less than this. I lift at the 102K class and weighed 99 last time, so obviously, this little issue this week not onlymade me feel bad but nudged my weight up. My plans are simple.

Schedule Menu Servings

Water and Walk

Breakfast
Surge 2-3 scoops
Biotest® Superfood 2 scoops
Flameout® 1 softgel
Micellar Curcumin® 2 capsules
Lunch
Metabolic Drive® 2-3 scoops
Flameout® 1 softgel
Midday
Flameout® 1 softgel
Dinner
Healthy Solid Meal 300-700 calories
Flameout® 1 softgel
Bedtime
Flameout® 1 softgel

Before/After Records

Photos
Weight 228 pounds (infection!!)
Circumference measurements
Arms, left and right, flexed

L 37 cm (14 inch)
R 38 cm (14 inch)
Chest, high, relaxed
118 cm (46 inch)
Waist 1-inch above navel
108 cm (42.5 inch)
Waist at navel
106cm (41 range)
Waist 1-inch below navel
104/105 cm (41 inch)
Thighs, left and right
L 60cm
R 63 cm
For training, I am three weeks into a peaking (Olympic lifting program):

Wow! I look like shit!

11 Likes

Just prepping the Surge made me lose one pound. I start tomorrow morning. What I did last time is try to roll out of bed every day and walk. This time:

Wake up
15 minute meditation (Brain FM’s Rain Reflection)
Clothes on, grab water bottle, walk. (Pee before I leave)
I am going to just try to get some junk extra easy mileage in…every day. I walk daily about 2-6 miles depending on things. I want to just get that number like 4-6 miles every day…if that makes sense.

3 Likes

That worked out great. One mile walk after meditation. The dog was hanging out with Lindsay when I came home and doing well. I will have my first Surge/Superfood shake in a few minutes and let’s hope the smells of the Superfood taste better in water.

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting the Lemon Drop flavor…it saved the drink!!! Tonic Day today, easy mobility stuff.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I missed this the first time round, excited to see how this goes.

1 Like

Just getting ready for dinner. This is SO much easier than the original!!!

Not only do we have the meal (daily!!!), we also have only two pills to sort out. I used to spend far too much time setting my pills for the day.

Thank you to Chris Shug for making this for us. Remember, if you are reading this, it’s all about the brain change. After finishing this, at age 47, I had the best year of my career in the discus and Highland Games…and broke all the state weightlifting records. (Of course, being in a lighter class helped…)

4 Likes

looking forward to see this unfold. clearly remember your original article on the V-Diet! the piece on how brocolli tastes afterwards was pure gold. good luck!

Now this is just awesome. Looking forward to your progress and coming along for the ride!

2 Likes

My bodyweight is already down. Just in from my morning walk. Last night, a bit of chicken, some Yukon gold taters, salad, and a lot, I mean a lot!, of veggies. This is SO much easier.

Off to O lift in a few. I slept in a bit today. Sleeping got much better on the first round of V Diet…I think the cure to a lot of people’s sleep issues would be to ease down the bodyfat.

I’m in a good mood. I just turned on “Prey” on Hulu, I might like this. I got Hulu for “Only Murders in the Building” and I am enjoying the other shows, too.

Snatch and Clean and Jerk total today.

2 Likes

Thank you for trying it! Tim Patterson was a great help here with the latest variation. He really liked the daily solid meal idea, and it makes sense. If a big part of the V-Diet is “changing your taste preferences and habits” it only makes sense practice that daily. If it’s important, do it every day.

(Someone wise said that once. I forget who.)

:smiley:

You may find the history of this thing interesting. Way back when I was high school teacher, all the female teachers were passing around a photocopy of a “magic diet.” I found one of the pages on the copy machine and read it over.

It was a variation of a protein-sparing modified fast, I learned later. Basically, it’s a high-protein, low-carb liquid diet that doctors put very overweight people on so they could get a surgery safely. I watched the other teachers do it, lose weight rapidly, then gain it all back. It was a bust. But the simple idea stuck with me.

After joining T Nation as the assistant editor, I decided to make a smarter version of the plan with the same basic idea: drink these shakes and don’t worry about anything else. I did it out of frustration with my own fat-loss goals. I just couldn’t drop that last 10 pounds or so (after losing 60+ in college).

The original plan was Grow! protein shakes (which later became Metabolic Drive) and ground flax seeds. Yes, those were nasty-ass shakes. But it worked. The tastebud changes, the loss of lifelong cravings, the habit of having a cheat meal that turned into a cheat day that turned into a cheat weekend… vanished… forever.

After several variations and updates based on user feedback and supplement technology breakthroughs, we have the current version, which is just as effective, healthier, and (thankfully) a bit easier.

3 Likes

Light total in the O lifts today. Like the first time around with the V Diet, I have some anxiousness about training. Snatched 150, Clean and Jerked 190 with lots of light reps to warm up. One mile walk upon waking, one mile Heavy Hands (five pounds in each hand) after O lifting.

Weight is DOWN! One caveat: I did have a nice little infection that drove my weight up a bit (inflammation is always underappreciated with weighing in) so my first days might be a bit of a blip on the radar…in terms of losing bodyweight.

5 Likes

Chris noted on the phone call that drinking THIS much protein plus the one meal would be hard. It’s true. I’m trying to figure out if I should do two or three scoops. Yesterday, all were three. Today, two.

I will figure this out. I know there is a bdwt guide on the information but I am straddling the line.

Perfectly fine going with a “2 or 3” approach based on how you feel, hunger, time of day, etc. Studies show that a mega-dose of protein early in the day helps keep hunger in check in the evening and reduces the urge to have a TV-snack-a-thon at night. So I like the idea of 3 scoops early in the day, 2 later. Autoregulation in effect.

Thanks, Chris…that’s money.

That’s a great solution for my little issue. Thanks for everything on this journey.

1 Like

Donated blood this morning. My HR was 58…which is amazing considering I always get a little uneasy with the Red Cross. That’s a good sign, 58.

I am switching around the order of the supplements today. I didn’t want Surge hitting me while donating.

2 Likes

Here is the original discussion AFTER the finish with CS and me.

The New V-Diet Test Drive
by Dan John and Chris Shugart

A few months ago, coach Dan John said that the Velocity Diet was an insane diet for insane people. A few weeks later, he started the diet.

Well, that explains a lot, doesn’t it?

All kidding aside, I was thrilled to have Dan try the diet. He’s brutally honest, intrinsically curious, and he has the heart of a teacher.

He also had a big fat belly.

Now, I admire the hell out of Dan. He’s an athlete, and at 49 years old he’s still a record-breaking competitor. But after seeing Dan speak at a couple of seminars, I couldn’t help but notice that his “strong guy gut” was getting bigger.

Now, Dan doesn’t train to look good naked like a lot of us do, but this went beyond aesthetics: Dan was starting to look unhealthy. And after talking to him, I knew he had some other problems he needed to get a handle on. They weren’t big problems, but they were growing.

For one thing, Dan was developing a bad case of visceral or central adiposity. That means he was accumulating fat sub-abdominally — underneath the abs. This creates a hard, pregnant belly look.

And worse, it’s a sure sign of impending health problems. In fact, it’s linked to just about every bad health issue out there that can kill you. It wouldn’t be overly melodramatic to say that the “pregnant belly look” on males is a clear foreshadowing of an early death.

And Dan had it.

But he was ready to do something about it, something kinda crazy: go on my Velocity Diet. As a recap, the Velocity Diet is basically a liquid diet where you drink protein shakes all week and eat only one solid healthy meal on the weekend. You supplement with healthy fats and fibers and you have a post-workout drink after lifting.

The diet lasts 28 days, then you transition off. Most people lose 10 to 20 pounds or more and report a loss of cravings for unhealthy foods and new preferences for healthy ones after the diet ends. Basically, the diet “reprograms” their behaviors toward food, and fat loss usually continues after the diet is over.

Dan started the diet about the same time I was starting an updated V-Diet book, and he agreed to try out some of the new ideas. What happened? Let’s talk to Dan.

Chris Shugart: First things first, Dan, what were your results after four weeks on the Velocity Diet?

Dan John: My body weight on day one was 249 and some change. I used the wrestling scale at school. On day 29 it was 226 on the same scale. My waistline on day one was 42 inches and a little extra. On day 30 it was 37 inches.

Before After

Shugart: Excellent! And you had some killer abs and obliques under there too! Okay, so you lost 23 pounds during the diet, plus five whole inches off your waist measurement.

Let’s cut off the naysayers and the perpetual critics right now. Sure, some of that was water weight and glycogen, but probably only a few pounds, if that. So, outstanding results!

I also notice that you kept the fat loss up after the diet was officially over. Now, most people rebound after a strict diet and blow up like the Michelin man. But with the Velocity Diet, people usually experience radical food preference changes and overall behavioral changes when it comes to nutrition. Put all that together and the fat loss is permanent, plus they can continue to lose fat, if needed.

Now, didn’t you also take some blood tests?

Dan John: That’s the really exciting part, Chris. Check this out:

Before:

Total Cholesterol: 255
Triglycerides: 182
HDL: 41.2
LDL: 177.6

After:

Total Cholesterol: 171
Triglycerides: 103
HDL 46.9
LDL 103

Doctor Brunetti said, “I have never seen this! What did you do again?”

This is fact. This is science. This is much better: HDL up, bad stuff down. Twenty-eight days… look at the difference!

Shugart: The centralized adiposity, that nasty sub-abdominal “heart attack fat,” is pretty much gone! That’s great news, Dan. Now, what made you decide to do this crazy diet?

Dan John: This guy named Chris Shugart kept saying I was fat! Beyond the tears, I decided to change my life, and maybe love myself a little.

Actually, I’ve had two disappointing seasons back-to-back. I blamed job changes, kids, being an idiot, etc. But I realized at my annual doctor’s appointment that I’d put on a lot of weight. And, dear Lord, there was a big fat guy in every one of my pics!

Big deal, right? I wouldn’t have changed, because as a “strength athlete” I’m allowed to not care about my physique. But I was beginning to drop in performance. I started to get little injuries.

The thing about the Velocity Diet wasn’t that I’d lose weight or body fat or whatever. I liked the discipline. I liked the jumpstart it would give me on my other goals.

Listen carefully: If you can do the V-Diet, if you can give up food and booze for 28 days, you can go out and attack any other goals you may have rattling around in your brain.

So, it just came to me. I was sitting there watching my left knee oozing with infection and wondering how to train for Pleasanton and it hit me: “V-Diet.” No kidding. And I have little memory of why that sounded so right. Part of me, the part that wants to be a monk, loved the idea. My favorite part of me, the party guy, objected. The monk won.

Shugart: I like what you said about the discipline aspect. I have a theory here that some people thrive on this diet because it gives them full control over one aspect of their hectic lives. It’s an empowering and somewhat enlightening experience. Or is that just corny?

Dan John: It’s corny, but in a good way because it’s true! We find some interesting things with teenagers and their various eating disorders: it’s the one area in their lives they often feel they can control. So, maybe, just maybe, we all have a little place that wants “control.”

As a parent with all the various “hats” I wear, I often find that something as simple as changing something in the yard tends to bring me some relief, some quiet or isolation. This is a good point, Chris, and I really didn’t think much about it until now. Really, you’re on to something…

Shugart: I hope so. The rapid fat loss aside, the Velocity Diet seems to give people some control back, and that control transcends into other aspects of their lives.

Okay, just another thought I want to toss out regarding the psychology of all this: sometimes the best choice to make is to have no choice. Do the V-Diet as written and all of your daily choices regarding food are taken care of.

We all know that to lose fat and get healthier you have to “eat less and exercise more,” but it doesn’t work for most people based on the skyrocketing obesity rate. People have too many choices with most diets: what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat, how to prepare it, etc.

With the V-Diet, no choices. And for a lot of people, it’s allows them to thrive. Any thoughts on that?

Dan John: I absolutely agree. People would ask me, “Dan, how about Greens Plus, cottage cheese, and cheap Scotch?” I’d reply, “No, Chris said to do this!”

I couldn’t even entertain options! So, you took care of food and I just followed. It was a great model for me. I asked all the trainers at the last seminar I spoke at, “Who trains you?” That’s my issue: I have great ideas for everybody else, but I treat myself like an afterthought.

You saved my life, Chris.

Shugart: Aw, shucks. Give us a quick outline of what you did every day.

Dan John: Briiiiiing, briiiiiiiiing.

“You have to be f’ing kidding.”

That was what happened from day one of the diet to about day twenty. The 5:30AM alarm. I would pee, again. I’d open my morning “baggie” filled with two HOT-ROX Extreme capsules, four BCAAs, and Tribex Gold, swallow some water, get the dog leashed, and go walking.

The dog, by the way, looks so much better after my diet, too. I did this for the dog.

Shugart: Funny, I read once that if your dog is overweight, then you probably are too. Okay, what came next?

Dan John: When I got back, I drank some coffee, tried to read the local paper (it’s awful), usually read a book, then had shake number one. Here’s a good combo: a scoop of chocolate Metabolic Drive, a scoop of banana cream Metabolic Drive, and flax meal. Not bad really, considering.

School days were easy. I had two shakes in the morning between classes, then, at “lunch,” I had my fiber tablets, my multivitamin (I bought the “Orange Urine Special” it seems), two more HOT-ROX, and four BCAAs. That was it for supplements.

Before the end of the day, I’d have an additional shake, go home and train, then my dinner shake and the “night” shake of one scoop of Metabolic Drive and the natural peanut butter. I ended up taking Flameout at night, too. I guess I also took some ZMA every night before bed. I really like it. But basically, I stuck to the exact outline that you sent me, Chris.

That’s a big key: don’t start adding cookies, muffins, turkey, Alpo, or whatever. Follow the damn diet! “The V-Diet doesn’t work for me. I ate five meals a day and six shakes and I didn’t lose a pound!” That ain’t it, folks…

Shugart: Yeah, a few modifications are fine if made by well read, experienced folks, but some people go overboard with the changes until they’re basically no longer doing the diet.

You, for example, really like natural Testosterone boosters and were using Alpha Male. But since it contains Carbolin 19 and so does your fat burner, HOT-ROX Extreme, you subbed the Alpha Male for Tribex Gold. No problem. Most people do the diet successfully with no T-booster, but the extra edge can’t hurt.

But those who exchange the Metabolic Drive for a sub-quality protein product inevitably fail the diet. The crap protein isn’t supportive of the diet, it either contains no micellar casein or not enough, and it often tastes bad, which ruins compliance. Want to increase your chances of failing the diet? Use something besides Metabolic Drive. Do I sound like a shill? Tough titty. Use what works or don’t use my diet.

Okay, rant over. What type of training did you do during this 28 day period, Dan?

Dan John: Well, at first I was just a sissy. I was afraid to do anything. Seriously, it was weird. I was going to do up to ten sets of three with the big stuff like deadlifts, squats, press, pull-ups, and the rest, and six to eight with the single joint moves. But, it was like I was waiting for a tsunami. When does “it” hit — the deadly “bonk” of no food and no carbs?

Never happened! About week two or so, I started really pushing it. I started doing Olympic lift complexes or kettlebell work to get going.

This kind of thing:

Power snatch x 5
Overhead squat x 5
Back squat x 5
Behind the neck press x 5
Good morning x 5
Row x 5

This is all done with one weight (light) and you go back to back to back through the lifts. Doing all of that is “one.”

Shugart: Holy crap! Sounds tough!

Dan John: I tried to do up to six of these, but usually had the ability to talk myself into three to five of the clusters. I’m good at talking myself into something easier.

The other thing I discovered is that my squat wasn’t too happy. So, I pulled out Dave Draper’s TruSquat device and decided to use that with chains for reps of ten and just re-groove my bottom position. After two workouts, I asked myself, “If I thrive on sets of ten in the squat, why don’t I do them?” If I had the brains to answer that, I’d be much better.

I did lots of one-arm presses and added military presses with chains (off a low box) and “invented” curls with chains, a great lift. There’s no easy part with the chains. I did pull-ups every workout and the weight loss made them easier and easier. I also added back my sprints. I do up to eight sprints, bringing the speed/intensity up each rep. I’d consider this and the complexes to be a good addition for most folks trying the V-Diet, but only after the second week.

I also started taking farmer walks seriously again. My GPP went bye-bye this year and it cost me in competitions. So, we learn… again. I’m tired of relearning the same lessons.

So, yes, some structure, but I kept things a little random. I can’t do a workout without at least one experiment.

Shugart: I’m the same way with sex. This year maybe I can try two new things. I’m going for a PR. Okay, next topic, you’re an athlete and a coach — a performance guy — so how was that aspect during and after the diet?

Dan John: Well, with my Olympic lifting, I noticed that I’m “smoother” again. What does that mean? I don’t know, but I know that I know it! Oh, and I broke the state record in the snatch at the Utah Recordmakers meet. So, yes, my strength is fine.

I’m also sprinting and walking and smiling and feeling good. I wasn’t BS’ing with all that “I feel very good” stuff throughout those forum posts. Not only do I look better, my joints feel better. Now, I still have some injury issues; throwing big stuff all the time does lead to minor wear and tear, but overall, I feel great.

The one thing I like is that I’m much more athletic with the implements. I guess I knew that the extra weight was a burden, but I didn’t realize how much. The biggest factor is that my right ankle doesn’t hurt so much — the turning ankle in the discus. So, that’s big. Bigger than one would think.

Shugart: Now, did you get any of those craving changes reported by most V-Dieters?

Dan John: Seriously, one night I was craving roasted chicken as I fell asleep, the same way a normal man thinks about womenkind.

Shugart: Hey, roasted chicken is better than burgers and fries! So, how did you get into the right mindset at the onset of the diet?

Dan John: I just took my brother Gary’s advice and thought, “Tomorrow, I’ll break the diet and quit. Just not tonight.” I woke up, walked, did my shake, and I was fine.

That’s a big one, Chris. You have to make deals with yourself all the time. But that’s fine. Every athlete does this: just one more hill, one more day, one more whatever. I thrive on it, but for me it’s “one more decade.”

The no-booze thing was interesting, too. I thought it would be hard, but it was quite easy. I discovered something I needed to know: much of my alcohol consumption is simple thirst. I never realized how damn thirsty I get at night.

Now, all day, I coach and yell and teach, but I don’t think I’m taking care of my water intake. At night, I can find myself pouring three different beverages in my mouth and think nothing of it: water, beer, and wine. Seriously. So, I dealt with the liquids issue and poof, much of the booze drinking issue cleared right up.

Funny. But, it could have ended up tragic without the 28 day “test run.”

Shugart: Were there any other take-home lessons or things that you learned during the diet?

Dan John: Here’s one: Quit BS’ing yourself about weight. I’m a 220 pound guy and unless my lifts and throws really take off with each additional pound, it ain’t quality weight.

I also think that I didn’t eat enough before the diet. Now, this is going to sound odd, but I noted that the steady stream of protein and fiber and whatever made me feel good. I had energy, my joints felt good, I thrived!

Shugart: I’ve had a lot of people tell me they’ve gained “strength” during the diet, which sounds impossible. But maybe, for the first time, they were getting enough protein to support their training while on this diet. Maybe they took that frequent meals thing seriously for the first time. Maybe they lost the chub and became more athletic and (dare I say it?) functional. You can certainly knock out more push-ups, pull-ups, chins, and dips when the excess fat is stripped off.

Okay, what was the worst part of the diet?

Dan John: Seriously, it was having women ask me about it. “Oh, Danny, what’s this diet I heard you’re doing?” Yeesh. “Oh, it sounds perfect for me! I have lots of self-discipline.”

Right. You see, I don’t. Really, I don’t. What got me through the diet was a brilliant move on my part: I brought so many people into my story through T-Nation that to fail would be a huge failure… a lot of pain for me. Forever, people would question my will, my courage, my fill-in-the-blank. So, I put the price of failure very high!

Look at the thread counts. Look at all the emails I received, the discussions, the phone calls. I put the price of eating a cookie beyond the taste of any damned cookie ever made!

Shugart: That’s a good tip. I think one of the best things a V-dieter can do is post a journal of sorts on an internet forum. Put yourself out there. Take before pictures and set a date for afters. It’ll help you and it’ll help others about to go through the same thing.

What other tips can you pass on to future Velocity dieters?

Dan John: Be proactive. Day minus one: organize all the baggies. Take every pill, every fiber cap, every whatever and put them into your “supps baggies.” One grocery bag will hang in your bedroom for morning supps, one is divided into a work supps and a weekend supps, and a third is nighty-night supps. Don’t think at all when you start the diet!

Dan the day before the diet: “baggie night.”

Bring a blender and Metabolic Drive containers to work. Buy two things of milled flax seeds: one for home, one for work (or school or whatever). You’re going to go through a jar of natural peanut butter this month, one spoonful at a time, so buy a good one.

Invest in some nice bottles of water, too. Tap water is fine, but at night a glass of water with some lime or mint will give you a moment of “formal” relaxation. I know it sounds goofy, but it’ll make sense on day two.

Finally, continue to join your family for meals. Cook the damn meals! Yes, the world needs martyrs but not on this diet. Converse, enjoy, relax, entertain, and try to see the world through a new lens: you are going to be in charge of your eating.

Shugart: Good tips. Those cheap travel blenders at Wal-Mart are great.

How did you transition off the diet? Any tips for that stage?

Dan John: Here you go: shop wisely. I’m taking Cosgrove and Berardi’s advice here, so I went shopping. Today, I brought to school:

A case of albacore tuna
3 pounds of spring salad mix
2 pounds of snap peas
3 pounds of broccoli
A container of hummus
A bunch of limes (for my water)
A case of diet iced tea

So, I can’t make bad lunch or snack choices. I also start each day with two eggs and a can of green beans (a whopping 70 calories!) You were right, Chris, the diet prepares you for eating veggies.

Shugart: Shocking, but true! Thanks for your honesty through all this Dan. You’re an inspiration, and I don’t care how corny that sounds!

7 Likes

Popped out of bed today and got my walk without even thinking. Weight is down. Stomach was barking last night. I think I might have not cooked my chicken right the other day.

Back from brunch with Kelly. I had a diet drink!

3 Likes

Weight is up. That makes NO sense.

Great workout today. Woke up, meditation and walk…some work.

Push Jerks
5 sets of 3 with 165
Front squats
5 sets of 2 with 165
Hanging BKLRs with Ab wheel rollouts x 3
Suitcase carries x 3

I lightened the Surge up to two scoops. That seems to help with those weird feelings. I feel like pins are coming out of me sometime after Surge

3 Likes

Glad to have you here. Now back to lurking for me =)