V-Diet Progress

Thanks for all of the great responses guys. Today has been really hard for some reason. I’m fucking hungery. I’m trying to keep in mind that I get my one real meal tomorrow. Oatmeal just doesn’t sound like enough of a “treat” to me so I think that wife and I are going to get some steak or chicken with sweet potatos from Outback as a kind of date.

Oh, by the way. Even though the triplets are only 10.5 months old they love to steal my oatmeal/blueberries/protien powder breakfast. That’s not too processed is it jackass! Sorry, I’m hungery and grumpy.

Scottish,
Are you making any thick shakes with ice that you can enjoy for a while? That helped me when I did this diet. It works great when watching others eat rather than just chugging the shake.

If you get really hungry, try warm/hot green tea. The warm liquid helps make your stomach think you have food in it and your hunger can go away. Or, brush your teeth.

Just a few tricks.

im gonna start this diet on sunday, im excited

Good luck with it. I can’t tell you that it’s easy but I can tell you it’s been effective. One of the things that I read that has been helpful for me is “there’s a difference between hunger and cravings”.

Took a 45 min. long walk tonight. It felt pretty good. I got wicked hot. Does anyone know if a ketonic state can physiologically make you get hotter while doing next to nothing. Does it have something to do with having to access fat for energy?

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Scottish,
Are you making any thick shakes with ice that you can enjoy for a while? That helped me when I did this diet. It works great when watching others eat rather than just chugging the shake.

If you get really hungry, try warm/hot green tea. The warm liquid helps make your stomach think you have food in it and your hunger can go away. Or, brush your teeth.

Just a few tricks.[/quote]

I had not tried the thick shakes until this morning. They are good. Thanks for the tip.

Damn, this thread brings back memories. Stay with it. Fight off all the urges to compromise.

I don’t know if it is worth a try, but I found that slowly drinking something like a diet coke would revolt me… or fill up my gut with gas… who knows, but I didn’t feel hungry.

Worth a shot since it doesn’t have any calories.

That’s funny. My wife took my son to go get a movie last night and they came back with a diet coke for me. I didn’t drink it last night but I’ve been sipping it today. It’s the first diet soda I’ve had on this diet. Makes me burp big time.

We are going to go get our real food today so my motivation and determination are pretty high right now. I may run to the gym today to have my bodyfat checked.

I started the V-diet the day after you, Scottish 190. Fairly similar stats too. 5-9, 180 about 15% bf. I did the first four days with no solid meals, one a day since. I added the meals because my sleep was shit because that’s the only time hunger and cravings were hitting. Much better with the meal.

Me, I’m a diet soft drink junkie. I tried to limit intake the first few days. A strange thing has happened since…I’ve mostly lost the taste for 'em. Normally I’d suck down a 20 oz. Diet DP in 10 minutes or less. Now I don’t seem to drink half of one in 20 minutes and don’t have a desire to finish it off.

I still enjoy those first few sips, but that’s enough. As Shugs noted in his experiment, I’m craving clean foods and not much crap (outside pizza and a good burger.

I weighed at day 4 and was down 4.5. Will weigh and measure the 'handle area tomorrow morning.

Nice. Keep pluggin’ away.

[quote]pgosu wrote:
I started the V-diet the day after you, Scottish 190. Fairly similar stats too. 5-9, 180 about 15% bf. I did the first four days with no solid meals, one a day since. I added the meals because my sleep was shit because that’s the only time hunger and cravings were hitting. Much better with the meal.
[/quote]

The meal’s not a horrible idea, but it will slow the progress. If you want to curb latenight or early morning cravings, have a shake right before bed, I mean finish as you are lying down to go to sleep. Some days when I had a tough day, or worked out “extra” hard, I would have a shake and a half right at bedtime. Never once did I wake up hungry with this scenario.

Also make sure you’re getting 7-8 hours of sleep. This diet doesn’t do too well with much less.

Good luck!

Diet sodas raise insulin levels just as much as regular sodas leading to fat gain and other health problems. Look it up.

[quote]Lift4Life wrote:
Diet sodas raise insulin levels just as much as regular sodas leading to fat gain and other health problems. Look it up.[/quote]

How exactly? Why not provide some evidence if you’re going to make such a claim?

I have heard the exact opposite, and being Diabetic myself I have a lot of background in insulin related issues. Artificial sweetners do not spike blood sugar, so there is no way you can have an increase in insulin, unless there is an excess (say 12 cans of diet soda in 20 minutes).

Lift, I see a lot of speculation on the ills of diet soda, but if you can point to a peer reviewed study, that would be great.

i thought of this while going to work: why not freeze a shake, then eat it later like ice cream? it might fill u up more, plus a different texture as well. worth a shot? i might try it on my diet, starting tomorrow(!)

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
pgosu wrote:

The meal’s not a horrible idea, but it will slow the progress. If you want to curb latenight or early morning cravings, have a shake right before bed, I mean finish as you are lying down to go to sleep. Some days when I had a tough day, or worked out “extra” hard, I would have a shake and a half right at bedtime. Never once did I wake up hungry with this scenario.

Also make sure you’re getting 7-8 hours of sleep. This diet doesn’t do too well with much less.

Good luck![/quote]

If it’s the same caloric level as a shake how will it stall progress?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
pgosu wrote:

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I’ll probably try going back to shakes only for week 2. I assumed that on the sleep and after getting only about 4 hours between day 2 and 3, figured I’d try a meal. The sleep issues (besides hunger) seem to have subsided, so I’m game to try no meals again. I have stayed in the calorie and carb requirements even with the meals though.

[quote]big69penisman wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]pgosu wrote:
…I have stayed in the calorie and carb requirements even with the meals though.[/quote]

Both of you seem to have missed the point of the V-Diet. There is more to meals than calories and carbs. There is sodium, fiber, fat, potassium, cholesterol, vitamins, etc. All of this has an effect on you and IMO just is not the point of the V-Diet. If you think you don’t need to be that strict then you are probably on the wrong diet.

pgosu- It’s great that you are willing to try different things. If you are still making great progress with an extra meal here and there and it works for you- by all means. A lot of people have modified the V-Diet to suit. Strange thing though- most of those that have reported modifying it didn’t seem to lose as much weight as those who stuck to it verbatim. Just a thought.

[quote]Scottish 190 wrote:
You obviously don’t have babies and if you do, you should try having triplets. We’re worried about them gaining weight when they are young. If that means leaning a little towards the “processed” side of life then so be it. Not to mention life is a little crazy around here anyway. Mac and Cheese is easy.

What do you feed your babies? [/quote]

Thanks for your time.

I don’t want to hijack your thread.

I was just curious.

If I had babies I’d try to give them anything that would not compromise their health.

Mac n cheese once in a life time doesn’t kill anyone and however you grow your kids is up to you and your wife and nobody else.

Back to the subject: good luck with your diet and keep your goal in mind whenever temptation knocks.

w

[quote]helga wrote:
warlock wrote:
Question: why people feed stuff like mac-n-chesse to their children?

I always believed that if you have a child you will try to set the best examples and teach the best of everything and eating should be on the top of the list.

Ignorant people I’d not even bother asking but someone that come here knows that processed food is not good for you; so why anyone will give something that’s unhealthy to his own child?

Question: Why do you want to hijack this thread about the guys progress when there are plenty of other threads about kids nutrition that you could have a bitch on.

Scottish, Good work. I hope that you get the results that you are looking for.[/quote]

Are you his groupie/bitch?

w

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
big69penisman wrote:

Both of you seem to have missed the point of the V-Diet. There is more to meals than calories and carbs. There is sodium, fiber, fat, potassium, cholesterol, vitamins, etc. All of this has an effect on you and IMO just is not the point of the V-Diet. If you think you don’t need to be that strict then you are probably on the wrong diet.

[/quote]

How are you not being strict if you replace one of the shakes with a whole food meal? The point of the diet is to provide a conveinent way of having a low calorie, moderately low carb diet for fat loss. If he has a whole food meal in place of a shake (which the diet allows) then how is he gonna stall progress? Your response to my question doesn’t validate your statement.