T Nation

V-Diet Log (HogLover)

Alright, I’m creating my own v-diet log because I feel bad for hijacking other v-dieters threads and I need my own place to put my information and thoughts during this period. Hopefully folks will check it out and offer thoughts or suggestions.

I’m starting my second week of the diet (11.6-12.9). The first week I went from 195 to 190. Of course I inched up a couple of pounds over the weekend but that’s cool, no worries. My goal is to get down into the 180s range and it’d be great if I could break the 170s but I won’t be disappointed if I don’t.

Struggled the first weekend with no solid meals. It’s just a mental will power adjustment that I’m going to have to make. I’ve done the diet before so I know what to expect. Seems like the structure of the work week makes the diet easier and all the social and free time of the weekend makes it more difficult. Anyway, recognizing that hopefully helps me have more willpower during those tough times.

Of course staying on schedule reduces the chances that you’ll be tempted to cheat and eat a solid meal on the diet. I try and stick to a 3 hour interval between shakes. As long as I can plan ahead and make sure this happens I’m good.

So, here goes week 2.

Weight this morning: 192 lbs.

Hoglover! Good luck, sounds like you’re doing well. I’ve seen your comments on my husbands thread (TroyA), sounds like you’re right on track.

Today is day 23 for us, I think? Maybe its 24? I’m down 9.2lbs as of this morning, this thing WORKS!

For me, I didn’t see much drop in week 2 but yes, week 3 things picked up again. Keep us posted!

Forgot to mention my shake regiment and stats.

Height: 5’ 8"
Weight: Starting - 195 lbs.
Today - 192 lbs.

Goal: 12.9.06 - 185 lbs.

5 shakes per day
Each shake contains: (non-workout)
1 scoop Grow! Whey
1 scoop Metabolic Drive
2 tablespoon of flax meal
4 fish oil tabs
2 scoops Surge (workout days)

Don’t know if anyone noticed but I’m not taking any HOT-ROX up to this point. Does anyone know any adverse affects to the diet in not taking them other than appetite suppression?

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Don’t know if anyone noticed but I’m not taking any HOT-ROX up to this point. Does anyone know any adverse affects to the diet in not taking them other than appetite suppression? [/quote]

HOT-ROX is not an appetite suppressant. It’s main job is to help prevent catabolism (the carb 19 component) while skyrocketing the fat loss (the A7-E component). I don’t think you’ll fail the diet on the HOT-ROX, but I would imagine your weight loss would probably be about double so far if you had been taking it. Just a personal observation of it’s effects. Then again maybe not, not everyone responds the same way to it.

As for your diet- why no solid meals at all?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
HogLover wrote:
Don’t know if anyone noticed but I’m not taking any HOT-ROX up to this point. Does anyone know any adverse affects to the diet in not taking them other than appetite suppression?

HOT-ROX is not an appetite suppressant. It’s main job is to help prevent catabolism (the carb 19 component) while skyrocketing the fat loss (the A7-E component). I don’t think you’ll fail the diet on the HOT-ROX, but I would imagine your weight loss would probably be about double so far if you had been taking it. Just a personal observation of it’s effects. Then again maybe not, not everyone responds the same way to it.

As for your diet- why no solid meals at all?[/quote]

I eat 1 solid meal on the weekends like everyone else.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
I eat 1 solid meal on the weekends like everyone else.[/quote]

Two quotes from your first post led me to think otherwise:

and

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
HogLover wrote:
I eat 1 solid meal on the weekends like everyone else.

Two quotes from your first post led me to think otherwise:

Struggled the first weekend with no solid meals.

and

Of course staying on schedule reduces the chances that you’ll be tempted to cheat and eat a solid meal on the diet.

[/quote]

I meant during the week on both counts.

11.15.06 - (Day 10)

So I’m on day 10 of this diet program and I’m hanging around 190 lbs. in the mornings. I think I need to bust it harder in the gym in order to break through to the 180s. I read CTs article “The Beast Evolves”,
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459236

This was a truly inspiring article and I’m not sure how I’ve missed it up to this point. I’d say that I’m close to where CT was when he started that transformation (maybe a little less fat)but I’m an inch shorter than he is. But it looks like he consumed mostly low carb protein shakes for 14 days and then after that he went on a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks.

So of course that’s got me to thinking about abandoning the shakes I’m on after this week and going on a low carb ketogenic plan for a few weeks. Of course part of me believes that this is a convenient reason to bail out of the V-diet early but another part of me just looks at CTs results and wants to do whatever he did to get his physique.

Anybody have any thoughts on my reasoning?

CT also has dedication and follow-through and had he started the V-diet he would have seen it through before moving on. If you give up now you’ll always wonder what would have happened in the end. Where you would have ended up.

Just my $0.02…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CT also has dedication and follow-through and had he started the V-diet he would have seen it through before moving on. If you give up now you’ll always wonder what would have happened in the end. Where you would have ended up.

Just my $0.02…[/quote]

eengrms76, although I appreciate your attention and responses to my thread your tone comes across a little condesending. Do you have any V-diet experience that you’d like to share?

HogLover~
How are you doing today? How are you feeling? How is your energy level?

I’m down a total of 9.6 as of today. We end on 11/20. I’m looking forward to solid food on a regular basis for sure!

What’s your next meal going to consist of?

[quote]HogLover wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Just my $0.02…

eengrms76, although I appreciate your attention and responses to my thread your tone comes across a little condesending. Do you have any V-diet experience that you’d like to share?[/quote]

Wasn’t being condescending at all. You asked for thoughts on your reasoning. I was just giving my thoughts. Re-read it a couple times I think you’ll see I wasn’t being condescending. I’m serious that if you stop now, you’ll never know how much progress you could have made if you stuck it out all the way through. The V-Diet is as much a mental challenge as anything. I was not insinuating that you do not have dedication and follow-through. How could I? I don’t even know you.

As for my experiences. Those are well documented in my blog and about 1000 other threads on here. If my advice doesn’t make it obvious I have experience in it then you’re not really reading it.

If you would prefer I not offer any more advice I’ll politely move on.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
HogLover wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Just my $0.02…

eengrms76, although I appreciate your attention and responses to my thread your tone comes across a little condesending. Do you have any V-diet experience that you’d like to share?

Wasn’t being condescending at all. You asked for thoughts on your reasoning. I was just giving my thoughts. Re-read it a couple times I think you’ll see I wasn’t being condescending. I’m serious that if you stop now, you’ll never know how much progress you could have made if you stuck it out all the way through. The V-Diet is as much a mental challenge as anything. I was not insinuating that you do not have dedication and follow-through. How could I? I don’t even know you.

As for my experiences. Those are well documented in my blog and about 1000 other threads on here. If my advice doesn’t make it obvious I have experience in it then you’re not really reading it.

If you would prefer I not offer any more advice I’ll politely move on.[/quote]

eengrms76 -

I apologize for my response earlier. I may have been crankyness from lack of solids or maybe it was just too early in the morning for me to be reasonable. Thanks for your input.

[quote]Hot AZ wrote:
HogLover~
How are you doing today? How are you feeling? How is your energy level?

I’m down a total of 9.6 as of today. We end on 11/20. I’m looking forward to solid food on a regular basis for sure!

What’s your next meal going to consist of?[/quote]

I’m doing alright I suppose. Struggling to break the 190 barrier. Questioning whether I want to see this through for 2 1/2 more weeks or not.

Congrats on your loss. That’s super!

Not sure what my next solid meal will be. Maybe some Turkey burgers with cheese and a spinach salad or something. Or… some oatmeal with berries and protein powder mixed in. Not sure yet.

Keep it up man,

I know you’ll feel more proud of your self if you stay through the whole 28 days. I’m pretty sure you know this too. Its only temporary and you can go back to a less sadistic diet soon enough. Hang in there.

HogLover~

Stick with it. I got the same lecture last night from my hubbie. I had made some adjustments and ate a few buffalo burger patties on days I missed or couldn’t keep shakes down. He gave me the “you’ll never know how good you could’ve done” lecture.

You’re going to make it, just finish out the 28 days and then switch to the next diet. You’ll really be proud of yourself and I’m sure you’ll make fantastic gains.

You’re already thru the REALLY hard part of the diet, you can do this!

Thanks for the encouragement. Obviously it’s harder at night and on the weekends then any other time but I’m pluggin’ my way through it.

I’m currently on day 11 of the diet, and I think it seems to be getting easier as I go along. I am doing all Metabolic Drive shakes though (plus Surge on work out days), and am hardly ever hungry. I didn’t try mixing in whey, but have read in some other people’s threads that it wasn’t a “filling”. So, maybe try using all Metabolic Drive?

I have lost 7 pounds so far (from 195-188), and my boyfriend is also doing it and he is down 10 pounds in the same time.

I’m not doing any super cardio - making sure I walk at a brisk pace at least a half hour per day and I’m lifting four times per week.

Anyway… I would say stick with it.

11.16.2006 (Day 11)

Weight is still the same as the last couple of days (191 or 190). I’m just hoping that the weight loss will pick back up next week because drinking shakes 5 times a day is hardly worth it if the weight isn’t coming off. I may need to pick it up in the gym more and I’m not taking HOT-ROX but I wouldn’t think that the lack of HOT-ROX would really affect my weight loss any if at all. So I’m not sure why the weight isn’t coming off very well.

Anyway…