T Nation

V-Diet Help

I plan on going on the Velocity Diet within the week. The only problem is that I’m in Highschool and I’m not sure how to handle the protein shake. Would it be possible for me to premix the shake and then bottle it, and then keep it in a cooler in my locker? I’m just worried about the powder separating from the water, is this a legitimate concern. Basically can I store protein shakes made with water in a cooler for ~6 hours without any ill effects?

[quote]pitbull11188 wrote:
I plan on going on the Velocity Diet within the week. The only problem is that I’m in Highschool and I’m not sure how to handle the protein shake. Would it be possible for me to premix the shake and then bottle it, and then keep it in a cooler in my locker? I’m just worried about the powder separating from the water, is this a legitimate concern. Basically can I store protein shakes made with water in a cooler for ~6 hours without any ill effects?[/quote]

Yes, I work at various hospitals and labs and keep all my protein shakes in a cooler with those blue ice packs in my van.

I’ve also stored them in a fridge for over 9 hours and there wasn’t much protein separation at all. I stored them in shaker bottles and just gave them a quick shake before drinking them.

Thanks. I’m also using benefiber tabs because I didn’t want to have to factor the milled flax seed into the equation and for general ease of use.

when using the benefiber I also lose the healthy fats in the flax seeds. Can I replace this with more fish oil. Here is my basic p/c/f:

Protein = 240g/273g on off/training days
Carbs = 50g/99g on off/training days
Fats = 61g/33.2g on off/training days

I followed the template and found how many calories protein and fiber would cost me and then I subtracted that from the total and made the rest of the calories from fat. However, isn’t that and extremely low fat intake?

when using the benefiber I also lose the healthy fats in the flax seeds. Can I replace this with more fish oil. Here is my basic p/c/f:

Protein = 240g/273g on off/training days
Carbs = 50g/99g on off/training days
Fats = 61g/33.2g on off/training days

I followed the template and found how many calories protein and fiber would cost me and then I subtracted that from the total and made the rest of the calories from fat. However, isn’t that and extremely low fat intake?[/quote]

Just use the benefiber during the day for ease and the flax at night at home. Or… Use flax meal- you know the ground up stuff that isn’t much different than Benefiber, except it doesn’t dissolve as well.

I believe that I read somewhere that taking creatine while on the V-diet is ok as long as you take the 100% pure one. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help.

I believe that I read somewhere that taking creatine while on the V-diet is ok as long as you take the 100% pure one. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help.[/quote]

Creatine is fine to take, just avoid the kind that is premixed with high GI sugars.

So I started today. It’s not as bad physically as I thought it would be, but the psychological aspect is a bitch. I am basically an obese man at heart, I love food. I assume I’ll get used to it after a bit though. Everymeal so far I’ve wanted solid food, but once the shake goes down the want goes away.

The most severe challenge to my diet will be either a party coming up that I have to attend or a memorial service/barbecue for a teacher of mine that died. I may drink less protein during the day and then pound some right before both events so that I’m too full to indulge.

I’m off to lift, but I guess I’m going to attempt to chronicle my experience here partly to stay accountable, and partly so I have a support group. I’ll be posting once a day unless I have a question or comment.

Day 2:

Not bad at all. I’m doing great so far. When my family eats dinner or it’s time for lunch in school I just don’t go anywhere near the table. The worst part of the diet is definitely the mental aspect, and as long as I don’t smell food I really don’t suffer much.

After I lifted last night I got extremely lightheaded, but after my PWO drink I was ok.

I skipped the last shake of the night, I know it’s bad to skip ~52 grams of protein, but I just wasn’t hungry. Tonight I plan on forcing it down if I have to, but since I’m not drinking the PWO drink I should be okay.

Day 2:

Not bad at all. I’m doing great so far. When my family eats dinner or it’s time for lunch in school I just don’t go anywhere near the table. The worst part of the diet is definitely the mental aspect, and as long as I don’t smell food I really don’t suffer much.[/quote]

Did you read the DJ article? He suggest not skipping sitting down to eat with everyone else and I agree. You can’t sequester yourself for 28 days just because you’re on a diet. Sitting there with the food and not eating it will be the biggest test of your willpower- and not giving in will be the best feeling ever. Give it a try. If you really don’t have the willpower, then maybe you should stay away.

Make sure you’re not going for any new PR’s. When I was on the diet I could barely handle 60-70% of my 1RM without getting lightheaded. You’re not there to gain muscle, so workout to maintain.

Don’t ever skip a shake. The last thing you want to do is cut your cals low enough and put yourself in starvation mode. It’s true you are less likely to feel hungry on the diet (funny heh?) but you need to eat.

Thanks for the advice. It won’t be that socially restricting for me to avoid meals at home, because I don’t exactly get along with my parents and rarely eat with them anyway. As far as eating in the school lunch room, I’ll consider it.

I may have just missed it but I noticed no mention of a specific multivitamin, so I’m jsut using a 1 a day mens.

Another question. How often should I need to crap, because I usually take a morning poo and it didn’t happen today,Day 3.

Another question. How often should I need to crap, because I usually take a morning poo and it didn’t happen today,Day 3.[/quote]

A little TMI… seriously though this is different for everybody. Some are two times a day, some are two times a week. Really though if you keep up on your fiber intake you should be about what you were before, maybe a tad less often. Liquid protein doesn’t create as much waste as solid food, in my experience, so it’s natural to decrease quantity. What shouldn’t decrease much is the frequency.

Keep it up! I am on day 3 and have been doing pretty well. One of my co-workers was too busy to get lunch today so I had to run out and grab something for them. Pretty tough smelling their burger all the way back to the office. Don’t be afraid of the food though. You can’t keep yourself from smelling or being around it. Just get used to saying “NO” to it.

Yeah I felt the same way but I figured it was important enough to post. I guess I’ll up the fiber intake a bit. Anyway, I think I may be going through the worst of it right now, I hit the part where your body runs out of glycogen due to lack of carbs. I felt tired and a little bit sick all day, but I’m sticking it out of course. I heard it only lasts a day or two and then you feel great again.

Day 4 and going strong. Temptation is extremely low, and my body is getting used to the shake schedule. I almost know when to eat without looking at the clock. I’ve already had visual weight loss and my shorts fit better, but I doubt that it was fat. I think I’m just almost done with the carb depeletion and losing a fair amount of water weight. Now is when the permanent fat loss begins

I love this feeling, I mean I am so looking forward to my first meal post v-diet, but I feel like if I can make it through this I can make it through almost anything. My confidence in my dedication has definitely gone up, because I honestly had to force myself to comply with the diet for the first couple days and now it’s almost natural.

Pitbull -

Nice work and KEEP GOING! I’m just finishing day 5 here, so we are pretty much in the same boat. I’m not in High School (god, I wish I were!), but my challenge is being on an extended work assignment and basically living in a hotel. I could be eating filet mignion every night on my client. I could be enjoying delicious beers, or a great bottle of wine too. But, helas, I am missing out on my $50 per diem for food! I should just send them my supps bill LOL.

Last night I went into the lounge (drank many glasses of icewater) to listen to the entertainment and the guy next to me got a NY Strip steak covered in fried ontions with garlic mashed potatoes - talk about salivation.

Today I had to switch my protein brand - I used to use ISOPURE before becoming a Biotest customer, so I figured I’d go back to it, and to be honest I feel better today after one ISOPURE shake than I have yet. Not trying to bash Biotest in anyway, but if you look at the label of ISOPURE it has a LOT of trace minerals and vitamins, also loaded with BCAAs - so I’m thinking I might stick to the ISOPURE instead.

Well keep it up man!

[quote]IFR Pilot wrote:
Pitbull -

Nice work and KEEP GOING! I’m just finishing day 5 here, so we are pretty much in the same boat. I’m not in High School (god, I wish I were!), but my challenge is being on an extended work assignment and basically living in a hotel. I could be eating filet mignion every night on my client. I could be enjoying delicious beers, or a great bottle of wine too. But, helas, I am missing out on my $50 per diem for food! I should just send them my supps bill LOL.

Last night I went into the lounge (drank many glasses of icewater) to listen to the entertainment and the guy next to me got a NY Strip steak covered in fried ontions with garlic mashed potatoes - talk about salivation.

Today I had to switch my protein brand - I used to use ISOPURE before becoming a Biotest customer, so I figured I’d go back to it, and to be honest I feel better today after one ISOPURE shake than I have yet. Not trying to bash Biotest in anyway, but if you look at the label of ISOPURE it has a LOT of trace minerals and vitamins, also loaded with BCAAs - so I’m thinking I might stick to the ISOPURE instead.

Well keep it up man!

[/quote]

I will be curious to see if you get the same psychological change with ISOPURE. I think the minimal vitamins might play a factor in the craving of healthy food after the diet is over. Just a thought.

Pitbull- Keep kickin’ butt on that diet!

Day 5: Great day. Doing okay aside from a bit of fear concerning the weekend. I’m worried about a party that I’m obligated to attend tomorrow. I’m thinking about scheduling one cheat meal, but then that goes against everything that I’m working for.

BAsically there will be a massive amount of hard liquor and beer, as well as pizza and subs. I honestly don’t know if I’ll make it through it. Wish me luck and iron will.

Day 5: Great day. Doing okay aside from a bit of fear concerning the weekend. I’m worried about a party that I’m obligated to attend tomorrow. I’m thinking about scheduling one cheat meal, but then that goes against everything that I’m working for.

BAsically there will be a massive amount of hard liquor and beer, as well as pizza and subs. I honestly don’t know if I’ll make it through it. Wish me luck and iron will.[/quote]

Great job. Just keep thinking about the finish line and the feeling of pride you will have. Don’t give in to temptation. What’s one party without eating crap? Don’t set yourself up for failure. Go in with the attitude that you can do it! Good luck this weekend.