V-Diet for an Endurance Athlete

Velocity Diet Day 20

165.3 (down 1.6)
11.6 down to date

Wrestling with my goals the past few days. Getting strong and adding muscle as I wrap up my 40s and head into my 50s feels like the best thing to do for my longterm health and life. Completing the goal of running the Boston Marathon is something I’ve wrapped my whole life around for the last few years. I’m “marathon guy” to everyone around me. These two goals don’t mix well, but I’m going to try and figure it out.

Read on Reddit about a guy who successfully did 5/3/1 two days a week. Bench/squat week one, press/deads week two, and ran four days a week. Accessories vary depending on recovery. That’s a light running load, but I think I can make it work.

Ate great today. Pork tenderloin medallions taste great and cook fast. Shoot, they’re cheap too. That helps when you’re dropping so much cash on protein powder and supplements. :grinning:

2 Likes

Velocity Diet Day 21

165.2 (down .1)
11.7 down to date

Feeling great, energy is strong. Ate right and trail rucked for 2:35 today. Wrapped up week three and ready to head into the final week.

2 Likes

Killing it man. Very impressive

1 Like

Thanks, @TrainForPain. I don’t know if I should be happy this four weeks is coming to an end or sad that life flew by so quickly. Seems like I just started.

What are your thoughts about me taking a three week maintenance break and then going for another 28 days?

I’m betting by the end of this final week, I’d still have about 15 lbs of fat to drop to get to 11-12% body fat. Then focus on a lean careful bulk.

I just prefer not to diet for months on end. Lifts are still good. Energy is fine. I don’t know.

1 Like

I think having a transition plan is really smart! Why 3 weeks in particular?

I think it’s totally fine to roll right back into it. I wouldn’t want “diet” to become a 4-letter word for you, if we can help it. @T3hPwnisher has started rolling with a “lifestyle” version where he has several solid meals a week (lunch with his wife). He’s also carnivore for most of his solid meals, but I think that’s something you could leave up to your own interpretation.

@Chris_Shugart recently wrote an article about just dropping one daily meal for a shake. I think that’s a fine plan, too.

I think a major benefit of the V-Diet is simply getting your habits back in order. I didn’t transition off smartly, and could use another run myself. In your situation, you’re thinking ahead, so I think you could do whatever fits for you.

1 Like

Three week’s rationale:

• Week one - week before my Leadville trail marathon
  • Week two - week of marathon
  • Week three - recovery week

Bumping healthy carbs up the two weeks up to the marathon. Living at maintenance.

Then four weeks Velocity. Then I really like @T3hPwnisher version. I’ve been reading about that.

Build strength and wrap up this marathon garbage after Boston wraps and go all in on getting big for old age. :grinning:

2 Likes

Velocity Diet Day 22

165.7 (up .5)
11.2 down to date

Week Three Recap:

• Seven day average calories: 1799
• Seven day average protein: 205
• Seven day average expenditure (algorithmic using scale weight vs calories): 2602

Recovery day. Got some rest. Ate perfect. Finished Succession.

1 Like

Velocity Diet Day 23

165.3 (down .4)
11.6 down to date

Today is Memorial Day in the states and I feel very prepared going in to this day with extended family.

Kicking off with a shake. I know that we’re grilling meat, so that makes the HSM easy. I’m going to bring a sweet potato with me since I figure all the sides will be stuff like potato casserole with Lays crunched over the top.

It’s funny, in the past I’d just count this day as a “cheat day” since it’s a holiday. The problem is, there’s always a “reason” for a cheat day. Friend’s birthday at work. Family is in town. Summer break has hit.

Pretty soon there are more cheat days than clean days. I really want this to be a lifestyle I maintain. Sure, eating that sugar filled fat infused thing will happen from time to time. But, that’s what I want it to be, only time to time.

I’m really getting what I hoped out of the Velocity Diet, a tastebud reset. My HSMs have tasted great and the little Metabolic Drive sweets have been great too.

Ended the day with a six mile weighted ruck. Can tell I’m holding some water today.

4 Likes

I referred to this as “excess celebration”, and absolutely fell victim to it. People think it’s during periods of depression that we eat poorly out of comfort seeking behavior, but when I’m down I don’t eat. When things are great? Too many poor decisions, all in good faith. It’s good to recognize that pattern.

Bringing your own side is a clutch move. Bringing enough for the whole party is social as well. Bringing a salad, mashed sweet potatoes, veggie/fruit tray, etc. You also know what’s in it.

That’s right on. Poor decisions, all in good faith is a perfect way to say it. Stealing that.

I’ve also become the “grill guy” and am responsible for the main meat dish wherever I go (plus the whole nailing the temp thing).

I’d hoped the “real food will taste better - reset” thing was true when reading about the Velocity Diet, and I can for sure say it’s right on. I had roasted corn on the cob with NOTHING on it and swear it was one of the best things I’ve ever tasted.

3 Likes

Oh my goodness yes! Holy cow food is delicious. Plain egg whites are some of my favorite things to eat. Everything I’m smoking on my smoker is without sauce. There are so many wonderful flavors out there.

2 Likes

This is great to hear!

I am the main meat dish wherever I go

Your go-forward plan sounds great - I’m predicting seasons of awesomeness.

2 Likes

Velocity Diet Day 25

On a business trip, no scale.

Found a place to workout and do 30 additional minutes of cardio.

Honestly, easier to be compliant from a hotel room and away from family.

2 Likes

Velocity Diet Day 26

Still on the trip. No scale.

Ate well. Ate dinner a place that had plain grilled chicken and rice. Snuck my own dressing in.

Rucked up and down some hills for an hour to get that heart rate up.

Closed out the day with half a shake and some popcorn. Salty snack just had to happen.

Two days left!

2 Likes

Velocity Diet Day 27

Another boring update. Still out of town, so I can’t weigh in.

Did an hour bands and body weight workout. Rucked for 30 minutes. Ate right and am excited to go into my last day.

1 Like

Velocity Diet Day 29

177 was my starting weight.
164 is where I landed at the end.

A total of 13 pounds dropped over the four weeks.

Yesterday was my last official day of the V-diet. Stayed solid, did a ten-mile trail run, and arrived home to a clean house; that’s a bonus.

Time flew by on the Velocity Diet, I was satisfied most of the day, HSMs always tasted great, and my workouts went well. I really can’t complain at all.

On day one, I said:

I’m an endurance runner that has about ten pounds to lose. Just came off of a two-year training block and need to nurse some tendon issues in my feet. Figured that in this downtime, I’d do my rehab and drop some weight before my build begins again for my Boston qualifier in early to mid-2024.

Because I run so much, I’ve been able to keep weight gain away while not eating as well as I should. The goal here is a reset.

Tendon issues are feeling SO MUCH better. I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of better strength training for my running. I’m hoping that the reset has taken hold, mentally, I feel it has.

Mission accomplished. Till next time!

4 Likes

Incredible work!

2 Likes

Congrats dude! The Velocity Diet remains one of the most positive things I ever did for myself, and I’m so glad to see you had a similar experience.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your encouragement! 28 days flew by and throwing weights around had been great.

1 Like

You’ve been a massive help with your V-Diet log. I look forward to drafting heavily from what you’ve been learning! I have two kids and a wife who prefers that I don’t drink a shake when we’re hanging out. So, what you’re doing resonates a lot.

Thanks!

1 Like