UT Austin Gyms?

Anyone know anything about the gyms on campus at UT or close by off campus?

The good thing about Austin, there are five of everything. I haven’t been there in about ten years, but there was a great gym on S. Lamar (a bit of a drive from campus) but it was what you would have seen the old school BB’s at back in the day. I cant remember the name but I think it was like SAMS or something. Anyway, there a lot of 24 hr gyms there, that might be your best bet if your in school.

There’s a Gold’s downtown, there is an independent gym called Hyde Park Gym north of campus on Guadelupe. It’s the one with the bicep coming out of the building(seriously). Those are closest but they are building 24 hr and World Gyms also. At 5th and Lamar there is Powerhouse and Pure Fitness

[quote]Boridi wrote:
Anyone know anything about the gyms on campus at UT or close by off campus?[/quote]

The gyms on campus are damn good in my opinion. I’ve been going to Gregory lately and I pretty much have my way with the squat racks. There’s also more than enough benches and a separate room where you can do deadlifts and power cleans off the floor.

There’s also the rec center which is nice too. Both these facilities have the usual recreational outlets, i.e basketball, but Gregory has a swimming pool and rock climb.

Don’t know how much it costs since I’m a student.

[quote]En Sabah Nur wrote:
Boridi wrote:
Anyone know anything about the gyms on campus at UT or close by off campus?

The gyms on campus are damn good in my opinion. I’ve been going to Gregory lately and I pretty much have my way with the squat racks. There’s also more than enough benches and a separate room where you can do deadlifts and power cleans off the floor.

There’s also the rec center which is nice too. Both these facilities have the usual recreational outlets, i.e basketball, but Gregory has a swimming pool and rock climb.

Don’t know how much it costs since I’m a student.[/quote]

I went there for grad school from 2000-2002. I loved lifting in the Rec Center. It wasn’t quite as crowded as Gregory and it didn’t seem like as much of a “hangout”. I live up in Round Rock now, so I go to the new Gold’s right off I-35 (La Frontera area).

There are tons of gyms around town (Gold’s, 24 Hour, Pure Austin (2 of them, but they’re pricey), and several smaller gyms ranging from inexpensive to high-end.

If you choose to workout on campus, consider parking issues as you’ll be limited in that respect.

Ah, yes!

The “Oxymoron of Oxymorons”:

[center]“College Campus Parking!”[/center]

Mufasa