Using Supplements Safely/Correctly

Hey guys -

I read that you have to stop taking certain supplements after certain periods of time.

One guy said that you shouldn’t take L-Glutamine for more than a month. Another guy said that you can only take creatine for a limited period of time because if you take it too long, it will permanently shut down your body’s natural creatine production.

How long can I use creatine for? How long do I have to wait before I can start taking it again? Same questions for glutamine.

Oh yeah and while I’m asking: Why do they say that bodybuilders want to drink something with high glucose after their workout? I never understood this.

(Yes, I know that I’m a total noob with this stuff, but I want to make sure I’m doing things effectively and safely, so I want to ask your opinions and advice…)

I think glutamine is okay to take continuously.

And creatine isn’t produced by your body. Before supplements, it was absorbed into the body by eating red meat. Take creatine. All the time. No need to cycle it.

What Kroby said. To answer your second question, after a workout something high in the glycemic index will cause an insulin spike in your blood which will then shuttle nutrients to your muscle. Having protein in the mix will bring your muscle essential amino acids for repairs and building. i.e something like surge.

Might read the Solving the Post Work Out Puzzle 1 and 2’

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Might read the Solving the Post Work Out Puzzle 1 and 2’

Phill[/quote]

What’s that? (Again… yes, I’m a noob.)

Is that a post on here or something?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=460833

Creatine is naturally produced by our liver and kidneys.

[quote]kroby wrote:
And creatine isn’t produced by your body. Before supplements, it was absorbed into the body by eating red meat.[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Creatine is naturally produced by our liver and kidneys.

kroby wrote:
And creatine isn’t produced by your body. Before supplements, it was absorbed into the body by eating red meat.

[/quote]

Okay, that’s what I thought too. So being that creatine is naturally produced by the body, is it possible to “shut down natural creatine production permanently?” This is what I heard from an medical resident student who does bodybuilding stuff, so that’s why I want to be sure about what’s true and what’s not…

Glutamine isn’t dangerous to take everyday as it’s contained in a lot of foods. According to a very good book I recommend called “Nutrition Timing” by John Ivy and Robert Portman, they list some various foods and their glutamine content…

Round Steak - 3 oz: 4.05g
Chicken breast - 3 oz: 3.74g
Ground beef - 3 oz: 3.19g
Sole/Flounder - 3 oz: 2.39g
Skim milk - 1 cup: 1.67g
Lentils - 1/2 cup: 1.39g

[quote]1morerep wrote:
Glutamine isn’t dangerous to take everyday as it’s contained in a lot of foods. According to a very good book I recommend called “Nutrition Timing” by John Ivy and Robert Portman, they list some various foods and their glutamine content…

Round Steak - 3 oz: 4.05g
Chicken breast - 3 oz: 3.74g
Ground beef - 3 oz: 3.19g
Sole/Flounder - 3 oz: 2.39g
Skim milk - 1 cup: 1.67g
Lentils - 1/2 cup: 1.39g
[/quote]

Great, thats good to know. I eat alot of chicken breast and the occasional round steak here and there.