Using Straps on Snatch

CT: You use straps in all of your snatch videos. Do you wrap them around the bar as you would for any other lift or are you doing something different with them? I just started snatching recently, hence the stupid question.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
CT: You use straps in all of your snatch videos. Do you wrap them around the bar as you would for any other lift or are you doing something different with them? I just started snatching recently, hence the stupid question.[/quote]

I use straps for about 1/3rd of my snatch workouts. Because I posted only 2 snatch videos (1 from blocks in which I always use straps) in which I happen to use straps it looks like I’m always using them. Because I’m snatching very often (and cleaning on the other days) and that I have small hands, my hands take a beating.

I wrap them around only once.

If you are just starting DO NOT use straps for snatches… wait until your technique is good and stable.

Thank you

Here’s a follow up snatch question for whoever wants to respond:

I do not have bumper plates. Just regular steel Olympic plates. If I construct a “platform” out of several layers of plywood and rubber mats is it going to be ok to drop the weight on the floor from overhead or will it screw up stuff? Are bumper plates a must for that?

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
Here’s a follow up snatch question for whoever wants to respond:

I do not have bumper plates. Just regular steel Olympic plates. If I construct a “platform” out of several layers of plywood and rubber mats is it going to be ok to drop the weight on the floor from overhead or will it screw up stuff? Are bumper plates a must for that? [/quote]

The metal plates might damage the bar over time… once in a while wont be a problem, but too often might cause some wear and tear