Using Only 45, 25, 10 Pound Plates

I get what you mean man. I just don’t train that way and was saying how it would be to me. Like @strongmangoals said above me, I can’t stand having too many things on the bar like that. I very rarely use 5s or 2.5s anymore(outside of OHP sometimes), I don’t really see a need. Also, if I can’t do something with the 45 and a 25, I just need to work with 2 10s on the bar more. Same goes for a 25 and a 10 versus 3 10s like you were saying. To me, it’s just kind of pointless. It isn’t like the 5 extra pounds is that big of a difference even at a top level in terms of adding strength. Doing sets with 775 (8 45s, 1 25) vs 780 (7 45s, 3 10s) really doesn’t change much in the sense of long term muscle/strength gain.

3 Likes

What I do most of the time with bar weight would probably really annoy you. I frequently have 2x25 + some extra instead of adding a 45. Sometimes 2x5 instead of a 10. 2.5lb frequently since that is required exactly half the time when doing % based training. On DL I’m lazy changing the 45s so after 2 per side I will often add a 35 + 25 + smaller ones, unless I’m close to 400 for the top set I won’t do 3 plates per side. I do a lot of backoff sets so I like things to be easy when I go down in weight.

This number alone makes my blood boil

1 Like

You’ll be happy to know I at least only use one of those per side.

Idk why this comment is so funny to me

It’s ironic because tonight at the gym I saw a guy doing stiff leg deadlifts with a 25, 2 10s, another 25, and another 10. WHAT THE FUCK

2 Likes

… when they load a 10 on one side and two 5s on the other :rage:

3 Likes

Never seen that, but God help me if I ever do

1 Like

Using only 45s and 25s, I would put the next set of plates on once I could get 14 reps in a single set. Worked well for me. Got up to a 465 squat for a triple at the top of a stripset at the end of a workout that way.

:joy: you’d hate my new laziness habit of only 4-6 25’s instead of taking any off

With a 45 or stand alone? I get using 25s for more ROM, but man, 4-6 with a 45 I would die

Nah 25 bumpers, normal circumference. all 25s, no 45’s :upside_down_face:

Oh, see that doesn’t bother me near as bad. I guess because of the size or something. Is that what you were doing when you were talking about “no math?”

Normally I couldn’t give a shit about how someone loads their bar, but that, that is wrong.

It’s worse. 145 is close to 135, and it’s easier to put another 25 on than to take a 25 off and put a 45 on. Mostly just for lifts with smaller jumps, like overhead or cleans.

I actually like 35’s when I deadlift sometimes. especially for the farthest out plates. easier to load and unload, and once I get past about 400, makes my jumps slightly smaller.

2 Likes