Using Different Deadlift Grips

Should I stick to only one grip style when deadlifting? I prefer an over/over grip, but I’ve found that an over/under grip feels more secure with heavier weights. Actually, on the days when I’m going for a 1RM, I’ll stick to the over/under if I don’t want to resort to lifting straps. Am I limiting myself by sticking to one or the other?

[quote]juphoff wrote:
Should I stick to only one grip style when deadlifting? I prefer an over/over grip, but I’ve found that an over/under grip feels more secure with heavier weights. Actually, on the days when I’m going for a 1RM, I’ll stick to the over/under if I don’t want to resort to lifting straps. Am I limiting myself by sticking to one or the other?[/quote]

Some people may say you’ll build an imbalance by only using a over/under grip. I’ll leave that stone unturned. Here’s a link to a similar thread: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1557664&pageNo=0#1557743

One thing, I’ll recommend is not to use your straps while deadlifting conventional-style.

If you switch sides every set with the mixed grip, this becomes pretty much a non-issue. You’ll find that one side may be a little stronger so you’ll probably want to stick with that for max attempts.

Personally, a double overhand grip doesn’t allow me to use enough weight

Sure mix it up BUT if your competing find your strong grip and use it the most on heavy pulls etc to get that shit ingrained

Phill

I find I have to go mix grip, in order to support heavier weight. Since im training for stregth that means I tend to stick with the mixed grip.

Thanks guys. I’ll try switching the dominant hand with a mixed grip the next time I’m going for heavier weights. Also, I found that when I did use straps on a deadlift I was limiting myself; all I had to do was push myself a little harder and everything worked out.

I personally like to use a “clean” grip (over/over) during a DL session up to the point where the bar is about to come out of my hands. Then I’ll switch to over/under for the heavier weights. I feel that over/over works my grip and so makes my supporting grip (over/under) that much stronger.

You are supposed to switch your hands back and forth if you pull w/ a over under grip so your back doesn’t get stronger on one side. I know guys who use a hook grip to avoid that. The hook grip hurts me too bad to hold any good weight.

The hook grip is an option hurts like a mother but in time you will get used to it

Phill

If your training for a competition you probably should use 1 the majority of time. If your just training, mix it up. If you have to deadlift your refrigerator, couch or tv, you can’t always use one grip.

Skip the tv I forget hey come lighter now.

[quote]Phill wrote:
The hook grip is an option hurts like a mother but in time you will get used to it

Phill[/quote]

If you do try the hook grip, use some athletic tape on your thumb. Doesn’t make it hurt much less, but stops the risk of ripping the skin off your thumb.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
I personally like to use a “clean” grip (over/over) during a DL session up to the point where the bar is about to come out of my hands. Then I’ll switch to over/under for the heavier weights. I feel that over/over works my grip and so makes my supporting grip (over/under) that much stronger.[/quote]

I agree. I think this is the best way to do it because you still get the grip stimulus from working up with a clean grip, but you don’t limit your max attempts. It also adds more motivation as you try to hang on longer and get closer to your 1RM before having to change grips. Before you know it you’ll be using a clean grip on weights that used to be your 1RM!

This is all great advice and I’m going to start switching my grip when I resort to a mixed grip. Actually, grip strength is very important to me right now because I’m learning how to climb at the moment. Thanks all.