T Nation

Using a Power Rack or Smith Machine

I currently use a power rack for bench and squat, am I doing myself a disservice and should I move to solely free weights? There is no squat rack, so that will have to suffice, but there is bench equipment outside.

I also see lots of people benching on the smith machine, I tried it and it seems easier, but I assume less effective.

Edit: it’s not a power rack

How about finding a new gym that does have a squat rack? Is there one nearby?

I live in Korea so finding a new gym is a bit of a stretch, plus my gym is 2 floors below me which is awesome.

If you have one of these then you don’t need anything else. The smith has its uses in bodybuilding but I reccomend most beginners use freeweights as much as possible until they’ve built some initial mass, coordination and joint strength and have decent numbers.

I don’t understand this discussion. Since when are power racks not free weights? And are you concerned with squatting in it or benching in it?

Ahh, I don’t think I meant power rack. I can’t find a picture, it’s basically a power rack with a vertical bar on runners. The weight freely moves forward and backwards, but not to the left or right. Sorry for the confusion, I think it has a slave rack.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
Ahh, I don’t think I meant power rack. I can’t find a picture, it’s basically a power rack with a vertical bar on runners. The weight freely moves forward and backwards, but not to the left or right. Sorry for the confusion, I think it has a slave rack.[/quote]

3D smith machine?

lol, this has become confusing now, maybe this thread should die.

I don’t know what the machine is, I just know that I can lift more weight when I use the smith machine. A smith machine has a small counter weight and you can push against the fixed rods which makes lifting weight easier for me, especially with CGBP. The machine I use doesn’t have any fixed bearing apart from left and right, so I guess it uses more stabiliser muscles than the smith machine, but its not literally a free weight.

Oh well… I have no choice but to use it anyway, I’m moving gyms in 3 months so I don’t have to worry too much.

is this what you’re talking about?

http://www.body-builders.com/images/thejones.jpg

this model is called the “jones” its a smith machine with the spotting rails on a gantry system which allow for 3D movement while still allowing the machine to spot you. not sure on how well they work tbh i dod’t know how the runners affect the movement of weight or how well the weight is counter ballanced (if at all).

how this clears some stuff up