Using a Bent Barbell

Settle it boys.

@chris_ottawa @jbackos

Post videos of your squats, benches, and deadlifts. You two can agree on rep ranges.

Prove who’s advice is better, or if either is worthy.

2 Likes

The only actual way to settle this is a front squat competition. Come on now man.

2 Likes

AMEN :pray:t4:

2 Likes

Well this took a turn for the fantastic

1 Like

So, acording to your logic:

Bela Karolyi needed to be better at balance beam to coach Nadia Comaneci.

A football coach should be able to run the 40 faster than his players.

Every powerlifting coach needs to be able to total 2400 to have credibility.

Billy Martin had no business managing Reggie Jackson.

Mark Rippetoe’s best deadlift was only in the 500’s so he has no business coaching anyone.

Do you not see how invalid and truly stupid your argument is?

Ignorant people judge the individual rather than the information.

Yes because as Chris said, he posted to get help with his deadlift. While some of us were throwing out ideas trying to help him, some keyboard coaches decided that offerign assistance was somehow arrogant. There’s a very simple solution.

If someone doesn’t have an answer to the OP’s question (and many don’t because they’re snot nose idiots who have neither the training nor the coaching history to even have an opinion to offer) don’t chime in. STFU and listen and maybe learn something.

What is this, the OLYMPIC LIFTING forum?

3 Likes

Who said I cared about weight? We would judge your form as well.

Mostly I just want you to dodge videoing youself because you’re actually trolling.

1 Like

No troll here. Is this form good enough for you?

2 Likes

Very fast, shins very vertical!

Yessss I knew you were older and balding somehow by your writing tone.

You get a little loose in the bottom, at least it looks that way. Walkout is a little long, but somewhat expected when weights are maximal. Weight moves well, though.

Regardless of what I think, at least you actually took the time to compete. Props for that.

1 Like

My hips do a sideways wiggle to the right in the hole due to two things:

1. Mild case of scoliosis diagnosed last year when i had piriformis syndrome.
  2. Assymetrical hips resulting in the left foot turned out more than the right. The piriformis irritation was caused by me trying to make both feet symmetrical. I now let the feet fall where they want.

As for the walkout you should take your time and let the weight settle after unracking and before the descent.

In the past I used to do walkouts with 50 lbs more than anticipated max, and then static holds with 100-200 pounds more than anticipated max after each heavy day. I haven’t put them in the rotation yet - waiting to get some more accomodated to heavy poundage.

Different strokes. I personally wouldn’t squat that wide or coach an athlete to squat that wide unless it was incredibly comfortable for them. Also I was referring to your amount of leg movement during your steps and how often you’re shifting back and forth, not necessarily the time itself. But it’s nitpicking at my and your level of competition, especially with the sub-maximal nature of the squat.

Regardless, just to reiterate, thanks for being a competitor. It’s the only way to build the sport.

Okay, @chris_ottawa, what do you bring to the table?

The width is comfortable for me. I have retroverted hips (sockets at the rear of the pelvis) - I can spread wide, but can’t cross my legs. What I tell lifters is that width is highly individual but that it makes sense to squat as wide as possible (within the individuals anatomy) to shorten the stroke …
My training squats are usually about 1-1.5" narrower to save the hips from excessive use along with high bars and use of the manta ray.

Still agree to disagree, but you have a logical and thought-out reason for your stance and practices. No flaw there

Well yeah.

3 Likes

I also practice broomstick squats at home with eyes closed.

The last word on depth and I believe Coan mentioned this also is to find a combintion of foot width, turnout, back angle, etc. that permits you to drop to legal depth but not any deeper. When you fine tune these parameters you don’t need to think about your positioning and don’t need someone yelling down, down, down from the sidelines.

You just basically drop into the hole without thinking and the stretch reflex will bring you to the sticking point after which you push against the bar while thrusting the hips.

Was literally about to quote this. Pretty much everything sensical that Rip has said, has came directly from someone else’s mouth.

1 Like

Rip is mostly dead on. If you watch Coan’s clips he does everything Rip says except for the head position. The initial push out of the hole is against the bar while pushing the hips back and up. This is echoed by Wenning, Simmons, Tate and others. The catch is that the back and midsection must be able to support the weight in the inclined position.

Coan also says to control the descent to 3/4 of the way down then relax the hips and drop and rebound.

If you want to see the perfect squat try to find clips of Mike Bridges.

That argument ended long ago. Plus ability does not equal knowledge.