Using a Bent Barbell

You are now officially banned for life by the IPF.

1 Like

No problem. I want nothing more to do with the IPF or their red-headed stepchild, the USAPL after they required that a handler needed to buy a card just to enter the warmup area. If I want tiny spotters I’ll have my kids spot me.

1 Like

First off, a ton of bb’ers do front squats so I don’t know where you got this. Obviously they use back squats more because of the weight thing, plus the back is the weak link (as you stated)

I wouldn’t say they are necessary, but the ability to build strong quads, strong backs, and strong trunks is hard to find in an exercise outside of front squats. Low bar guys can use them because they don’t get a ton of quad recruitment out of it. High bar guys can use hem because it’s a similar pattern without putting more strain on the spine or knees. Honestly, every person who plays sports, is active, or lacks abdominal/trunk/upper back strength could use a front squat.

1 Like

I wanted add too, when people pull, a common trend is the chest caving and the upper back rounding. Front squats fix that. When back squatting, most people lose tightness in the hole and fail to stay upright throughout. Front squats can fix that. Even for benching, a wider thicker back is going to give you a bigger base to press off of. They literally are one of the best accessory for powerlifting

I’m regularly going through different variations because of strongman. So I have like 3 or 4 variations of everything, plus I incorporate stone lifting and like half a dozen different carries. I’ll list some things I do regularly.

DEADLIFT - frame deadlift, regular bar deadlift, axle bar deadlift, wagon wheel (elevated) deadlift, trap bar deadlift

Squat - Back squat, SSB squat, front squat

carries - keg carry, hussafel stone, yoke, farmers handles, frame, sandbag

overhead press- straight bar, log, axle, circus db

Generally speaking, I’m rotating through different varieties every couple months, because that’s about how often I compete and I’m usually practicing a movement specific to my next show. Aside from these events, I’m doing dips, pull ups, rows (mostly db), lateral raises, bench press, incline press… Essentially putting my body through a lot more different ranges and types of motion.

The biggest weakness I had, which I’ve talked about a lot, was carries, because NOTHING I previously did moved my body in that sort of way. It’s been a big help for my hip health.

Final thing worth noting: not everything I listed is great for health. some of these have downsides. The ones I’d avoid for a non-competitive strongman would probably be very heavy yoke carries (lighter is not so bad), very heavy atlas stones (bad for biceps), and maybe the axle. I’ve developed elbow pain at times from this movement, particularly when I sucked at it. The better I’ve gotten at the movement, the less it hurts.

2 Likes

Pretty much every other squat variation.

It’s true about the chest caving and back rounding, that and the ability to stay upright seem to be the two main benefits of front squats for a powerlifter, but SSB squats do same thing while allowing you to handle more weight. High bar squats do the same to a lesser degree, you could always buy a manta ray as well. I did front squats regularly for a while, I never got anything out of them but SSB and high bar squats seem to work very well. As for benching, there are a million other exercises you can do to build your back. Front squats with a clean grip hurt my wrists and the arms-crossed grip hurts my shoulders, neither of which is going to help my bench.

Some people might do well with front squats, but I’m not one of them.

I use the manta ray on a box. I lean over though and use it for the conventional deadlift.

I said SSB at first and thought it was a given. Most do not have access to one outside of specialty gyms in my experience.

Outside of a front squat and SSB squat, no squat taxes those to a higher degree.

Also, what is the benefit of this? I’ve literally only seen maybe 5 guys ever talk about it.

I happen to have one at home, but maybe I’m special. If I didn’t, I still wouldn’t front squat though. At the moment I’m only using the SSB for good mornings and I’m doing high bar squats, I will squat with the SSB again at some point but my upper back is not limiting anything right now.

Front squats look so crispy.

1 Like

The first point, you are talking about quads, backs, and trunks? Well, if your back strength is limiting how much you can front squat then your quads won’t get much out of it. As for back and trunks (I assume you mean abs), any sort of squatting and deadlifting is going to work those and you can do other things to target those areas if needed. Again, I’m not opposed to front squats, I just haven’t gotten anything out of them and there are plenty world class lifters who don’t do them so I don’t see them as a necessity. The only necessities are the competition lifts and staying healthy so that you can actually progress.

Louie Simmons said that the manta ray forces you to do a super upright Olympic squat (I believe those were his words) which is sort of what the SSB makes you do. It’s not a SSB, but it’s a step in that direction.

Ssb feels quite like a front squat. Both very hard. Front squats safer imo.ssh feels like it will rip your head off. No longer have access to one. Will have to hit the commercial gym.
Used to own front squat version of mantra ray.didn’t like it much

Kinda off topic but… the thread has gone off topic: be careful with the bent bar especially in situations where it hasn’t had an opportunity to align itself onto or out of the rack catches or you pull it out of alignment during unracking or lifting.

The tendency will be to return to this alignment and at best will mess up your lifts and at worst can seriously injure you. Steve Gentili dropped 450ish on his chest because of a bent barbell.

I’d say your input was more on topic than at least the last 30 posts lol

1 Like

Just load it up with a bunch of weight in the rack overnight and voila, cheap Duffalo Bar.

Bruh…

1 Like

I wouldn’t say maybe. That fucker sidelined me for over 6 months at one point and so many people I know have been taken out for some time by it. I would be more than happy never to touch an axle again (well, I don’t mind deadlifting it haha)

Yep, stay clear of benching. Too easy for it to seem settled and then shift on you when you unrack it.

Depends on how bent as well…

The axle is growing on me. And I know some people don’t hate it.

Man, I fucking HATE axle deadlifts. Not so bad when they are elevated, but axle deadlifts off the floor are just goddamn brutal. They are definitely my least favorite deadlift variation. My leverages favor side handles quite a bit, so with the extra thickness of the axle, it puts me even further from my best position. I almost have to stiff-leg deadlift with an axle to lift any appreciable weight. Low hips don’t do me any favors on that particular lift.