Using a Belt

Would using a belt on deads and squats neglect my muscle development in my lower back?

I don’t know if it would necessarily neglects the muscles, but that it doesn’t provide as much work for them. I know I always use to use a belt, and switched off from them. When I did, my dead and my squat numbers decreased a bit, it was humbling.

I like it because it forces me perform the moves with more efficiency raw, and when I DO put on a belt it feels really easy to go higher for a 1RM.

Yea thats what I worry about. But I also worry when im going for a big lift that I can ruin my back. I think I will get a belt but, only use it when im maxing out.

thats generally reccomended. Save the belt for the heavy reps to avoid forgetting how to activate all the smaller back muscles in a lift.

I have read (somewhere in here probably) that using a belt has minimal effect on muscle growth as compared to using knee wraps which can cause the knee joint to not advance at the same rate as they rest of the body.

At the same time, I am with the other guys, I do my “warm up” sets without a belt. Then when I get into heavier sets I go to the belt. The last thing I want to do is blow out my back. For instance, when dead lifting I will go up to 315 without a belt and anything over I use one.

One of the things I like about the belt is knowing that I have a belly full of air which helps stabilize the body during a heavy lift. With the belt on I tighten it when relaxed and then make sure I expand my stomach against it before I start the lift. I guess it is kind of a measuring device for me.

Unless you’re a power-lifter, ditch the belt.

While I used to always use my belt for heavy deads and squats, the past few years my philosophy has been to always have it on hand, but try not to need it.

S

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Unless you’re a power-lifter, ditch the belt.[/quote]

im by no means a “power-lifter” but i don’t think ill be ditching my belt when im doing my heavy deads…

[quote]passionhawaii wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

im by no means a “power-lifter” but i don’t think ill be ditching my belt when im doing my heavy deads…[/quote]

If the goal is hypertrophy or general fitness I see no reason for a belt, you could use your internal belt, the transverse abdominus, just an idea :shrug:

I don’t anymore. My abs and lower back are my “built in” belt.

I’ve got shorter arms than most people, so my deadlifts are pretty much all stiff legged. While most of my hamstring work is through Romanian Deadlifts/Good Mornings anyway, I’m looking into getting a belt for when I want to test my 1RM on the deadlift.

Anyone have a particularly good experience with the type of belt they bought? Something in a moderate price range.

http://www.intrex.net/JAVELAND/braces/javeland_braces.htm

I’m going to buy one of these vary soon, should help with support and safety while not neglecting anything. Its not the safest, and if I’m going to max I will always use a real belt.

I have an Inzer, single prong, Suede PL belt. I think it ran me about $35-40 or so (had it for years now). THere were days under the squat bar where it felt like that damn belt was all that was holding my vertebrae in place.

S

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
passionhawaii wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

im by no means a “power-lifter” but i don’t think ill be ditching my belt when im doing my heavy deads…

If the goal is hypertrophy or general fitness I see no reason for a belt, you could use your internal belt, the transverse abdominus, just an idea :shrug:

[/quote]

Until you get hurt from heavy deads of squats, I bet you are going to change your opinion.

I use the belt for heavy deads and squats.

Use a belt if you get close to your 1rm.

Pretty sure the belt, provides a lot of extra support, which is what the muscles in you lower back provide. I think the back muscles just are not used as much when you wear a belt which is why it’s not good to wear it for everything you do. Just wear it for heavy reps.

i get ZERO extra weight with a belt.

I have built up my deadlift from 40kg to 160-170kg without needing one. I do it in bare feet, no belt - just straps.

I think as a BB NOONE needs to go over 4 plates for reps on the DL and squat nor more than 3 plates on the BB Bench press for reps…

And it is above those weights that the PL equipment comes into itas own.

PL equipment is there to MAKE A LIFT EASIER… Bench shirts, wraps and straps etc…that isnt what BB is about at all.

I use the straps to make the lift easier on my grip so my back can be overloaded…

The belt is there to push your abdomen against to get a large amount of pressure in the trunk to stabilize the spine, this is necessary when straining, a BB wouldnt be satrining on the first lift like this - if they were training max strength then that is a different matter of course!
In sub max work, the TVA should be doing the work that a PL relies on a belt to help with.

JJ

[quote] JJ wrote:
I think as a BB NOONE needs to go over 4 plates for reps on the DL and squat nor more than 3 plates on the BB Bench press for reps…
[/quote]

Sorry to go off-topic, but why?

If you are to get bigger, it may call for lifting more than 4 plates on a deadlift, or 3 plates on a bench.

Why do you think this?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=205&m=PD&pid=1378

Awesome belt right there.

Belts don’t cause your abs and low back to weaken, I’ve seen studies where it increases activation of the abs and low back.

I see the belt as being useful in helping me keep tight, I find it much easier to stick my stomach into the belt and pull air into my stomach, than I would doing that without the belt.

[quote] JJ wrote:
i get ZERO extra weight with a belt.

I have built up my deadlift from 40kg to 160-170kg without needing one. I do it in bare feet, no belt - just straps.

And it is above those weights that the PL equipment comes into itas own.

PL equipment is there to MAKE A LIFT EASIER… Bench shirts, wraps and straps etc…that isnt what BB is about at all.

I use the straps to make the lift easier on my grip so my back can be overloaded…

The belt is there to push your abdomen against to get a large amount of pressure in the trunk to stabilize the spine, this is necessary when straining, a BB wouldnt be satrining on the first lift like this - if they were training max strength then that is a different matter of course!

In sub max work, the TVA should be doing the work that a PL relies on a belt to help with.

JJ[/quote]

The belt helps someone keep tight to avoid injury, being injured isn’t terribly anabolic.

Why don’t you think bodybuilders need strength, I’m sure someone would be able to stimulate hypertrophy better if they are able to do reps with 5 plates on the deadlift rather than 4 plates. It seems like most successful bodybuilders have focused on getting strong (not necessarily for a single)

Sergio Oliva, Arnold, Ronnie Coleman, Dorian Yates etc.