T Nation

Useless info thread

The Bonobo, or Pygmy Chimpanzee, engages in intercourse (heterosexual and homosexual) for pleasure. Actually, it’s more of a greeting, equivalent to the “handshake” of our society.

-poo is tapered so your asshole doesn’t slam shut.

The real longest place name is, as recorded in the Guiness Book of Records is in NZ, towit -

Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronuku pokaiwhenuaakitanarahu, - 92 letters.

Wales has only got 58 letters.

However, Thailand allegedly has the longest place name at 163 letters-

Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphop
nopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharn
amornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit.

Reference: http://www.thailandlife.com/ericshackle/placename.html

Total, religion has killed more people than any other source you can think of.

Smoking kills 16 times more people than asbestos, percentage wise.

Charlemagne did not try to order the sea back in order to prove how great he was. He was sick of all the sycophancy and eventually one pillock said said Charlemagne was greater than God and so Charlemagne, knowing the futility of the action, ordered the sea back to show he wasn’t.

Franz Liszt’s piano stool had one leg shorter than the others.

The only winner in the war of 1812 was Tchaikovsky

My bad, thanks for the correction Mage. I guess I had the most useless info then because it was wrong. :slight_smile:

In Pulp Fiction the word “fuck” is uttered an average 1.5 times per minute.

I was bored. Leave me alone.

A chicken once had its head cut off and survived for over eighteen months, headless.

After the “Popeye” comic strip started in 1931, spinach consumption went up by thirty-three percent in the United States.

The spray WD-40 got its name because there were forty attempts needed before the creation of the “water displacing” substance.

Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by falling coconuts.

The IRS employees tax manual has instructions for collecting taxes after a nuclear war.

The gracilis muscle was named such by early anatomists who were also very Religious. In a woman the gracilis muscle runs up the inner thigh right up to the vagina, aka heaven or grace, hence gracilis.

Reasearch has shown that by putting the toilet paper so that it dispenses over the top and toward you, you will use a signigantly smaller amount of toilet paper over time as opposed to putting it the other way.

cont’d
8. In 1939 a novel was published called The Gadsby. There were 50,000 words but the letter e turns up only 3 times, in the author’s name, Ernest Vincent Wright.
9. The shortest english word containing all the vowels is eunioa, meaning “alertness.” The shortest with all 5 vowels + y is unquestionably.
10. the word “typewriter” can be spelled using only keys fromt he top row of a keyboard
11. A Kentucky law says that it’s illegal for a married man to buy a hat unless his wife goes with him to pick it out
12. The world’s shortest scheduled flight (in 1979 anyway) takes people between 2 of the Orkney Islands in Scotland. Usually it takes 2 minutes but with the right wind it has taken as little as 69 seconds.
13. In Siena, Italy it’s illegal for a woman named Mary to work as a protitute
14. The names of the cards in a deck (king, queen, jack, ten, etc) have 52 letters in them if you add them up
15. there are 20,000 species of orchid but vanilla is the only one that is commercially useful

In reality the tallest member of the Fellowship of the Ring is Gimli the dwarf( John Ryhs Davies) who stands at 6 foot 1.

In 14th and 15th century italian city-states the wearing of earings (predominantly hoops) was frequently required of prostitutes and jewish women. This was an attempt by town leaders-- under influence of mendicant preachers-- to stigmatize jewelry and decadent forms of display.

On a related note–

Prostitution was not only tolerated, but in many cases even organised and run by the church authorities in medieval italy. It was believed by the authorities in the church that lavish spending by women were making wives unaffordable to many younger or poorer men, thus delaying them from marrying. These men being without companionship or sex and in need of outlet would then turn to homosexuallity if prostitutes were not available to satisfy them. Homosexuality would in turn bring fire and brimstone (or at least famine or fire) upon the city. Thus prostitutes were considered vital to the security, health and welfare of the city, as was any policy which could limit female spending.

A little long for common factoids, but it was the shortest thing that popped into my head.

Here’s my initial contribution: 10 most cited refernces, living or dead.

1. Marx,
  2. Lenin
  3. Shakespeare
  4. Aristotle
  5. the Bible
  6. Plato
  7. Freud
  8. Chomsky
  9. Hegel
    10.Cicero <<

Just wondering: What is your criteria here? Whose ideas were most influential? Who is directly cited most often? This list is obviously very eurocentric, but is it in any particular order; and if so, why this order?

the money in everyone’s wallet/purse does not belong to them. it is owned by the Federal Reserve, which is not a government owned bank but privately supported by appx. a dozen private backers (including other banks). each bill is leased by the american government even though it has the ability to print it’s own money.