Useless Facts 1.0

Lee Harvey Oswald’s cadaver tag sold at an auction for $6,600 in 1992.

A cow produces 200 times more gas a day than a person.

A whale’s penis is called a dork.

Coal power plants produce expose their workers to more radiation than nuclear power plants.

SPAM stands for Shoulder Pork And haM

The scientific term for stomach rumbles or gurgles is borborygmi.

in 1977 a 13 year old found a tooth growing out of his left foot.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
SPAM stands for Shoulder Pork And haM[/quote]

Pretty sure it’s SPiced hAM.

The scientific term for MattXL’s tooth is a teratoma.

UH OH…CONTROVERSY!

after doing some very reliable wikipedia research…

ntroduced on July 5, 1937, the name “Spam” was chosen when the product, whose original name was far less memorable (Hormel Spiced Ham), began to lose market share. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name “Spam” was “Shoulder of Pork and Ham”.[8] According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam â?? The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president, who was given a $100 prize for creating the name.[9] At one time and persisting to this day in certain books, the theory behind the nomenclature of Spam was that the name was a portmanteau of “Spiced Meat and Ham”.[10] According to the British documentary-reality show “1940’s House”, when SPAM was offered by the United States to those affected by World War II in the UK, SPAM stood for Specially Processed American Meats. Yesterday’s Britain, a popular history published by Reader’s Digest in 1998 [p. 140], unpacks SPAM as “Supply Pressed American Meat” and describes it as an imported “wartime food” of the 1940s.
Many jocular backronyms have been devised, such as “Something Posing As Meat”, “Specially Processed Artificial Meat”, “Stuff, Pork and Ham”, “Spare Parts Animal Meat” and “Special Product of Austin Minnesota”.[11]
According to Hormel’s trademark guidelines, Spam should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective, as in the phrase “SPAM luncheon meat”.

[quote]Fishdog70 wrote:
The scientific term for MattXL’s tooth is a teratoma. [/quote]

holy shit, that sounds pretty bad ass

in a sentence…

“Ill put my teratoma up in yo ass!”

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
UH OH…CONTROVERSY!

after doing some very reliable wikipedia research…

ntroduced on July 5, 1937, the name “Spam” was chosen when the product, whose original name was far less memorable (Hormel Spiced Ham), began to lose market share. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name “Spam” was “Shoulder of Pork and Ham”.[8] According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam â?? The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president, who was given a $100 prize for creating the name.[9] At one time and persisting to this day in certain books, the theory behind the nomenclature of Spam was that the name was a portmanteau of “Spiced Meat and Ham”.[10] According to the British documentary-reality show “1940’s House”, when SPAM was offered by the United States to those affected by World War II in the UK, SPAM stood for Specially Processed American Meats. Yesterday’s Britain, a popular history published by Reader’s Digest in 1998 [p. 140], unpacks SPAM as “Supply Pressed American Meat” and describes it as an imported “wartime food” of the 1940s.
Many jocular backronyms have been devised, such as “Something Posing As Meat”, “Specially Processed Artificial Meat”, “Stuff, Pork and Ham”, “Spare Parts Animal Meat” and “Special Product of Austin Minnesota”.[11]
According to Hormel’s trademark guidelines, Spam should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective, as in the phrase “SPAM luncheon meat”.[/quote]

I bow to the omnipotence of wiki

A show on Adult Swim called Lucy Daughter of the Devil had a character that was called Terry the teratoma. He was the Devils talking teratoma who turned out to be more evil than the Devil…and also got it on with the Devils assistant.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Fishdog70 wrote:
The scientific term for MattXL’s tooth is a teratoma. [/quote]

holy shit, that sounds pretty bad ass

in a sentence…

“Ill put my teratoma up in yo ass!”
[/quote]

It certainly makes getting a kick in the ass a little more ominous.

Ulysses S. Grant’s real name was Hiram Ulysses Grant. The “Ulysses S” was due to a mistake during the enlistment process at West Point.

During the Civil War, all his soldier’s said his U.S. initials stood for “unconditional surrender”.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
My name is the same backwards as it is forward.
[/quote]

Palindrome…the longest one I’m aware of is “Able was I, ere I saw Elba.”

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
In Michigan it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.[/quote]

Note to self - don’t carry jousting rod down pant leg while in Michigan.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
In Michigan it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.[/quote]

Note to self - don’t carry jousting rod down pant leg while in Michigan.[/quote]

Lest all the ladies start handing you their phone numbers!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

[quote]Im_New_Feed_Me wrote:
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.[/quote]

You’ve obviously never flown QANTAS. Or perhaps there are no donkeys in Australia. One or the other.