Used to Lift for 10 Years Straight from 14-24 Y/O, Then Life Happened

So I lifted consistently with very little knowledge of what I was doing from about 14-24 years old. The last 3 years of that I was in physical therapy school and started actually programming, working muscles for symmetry, strength balances etc. I became rather strong (relative to most people I’ve lifted with) but then at 24 got married, got doctoral degree, started career and had 3 kids. Long story short I’m 33 years old now and have life set in order to the point where I can consistently train 5-6 days a week. Should I start with a beginners program and let muscle memory guide me or just jump full swing into it. I was thinking of going the route of following the best damn workout guide for natural lifters. Any pointers are appreciated.

My fave:

It was kinda hard to estimate the starting weight, so I started light.

The most important thing won’t be the program that you follow, but getting into the habit of going to the gym. It sounds great that you have life set to the point where you will be able to consistently train 5-6 days a week. Start by getting some days in consistently, whether or not that is 5-6 days or 3 days doesn’t matter.

Personally, I thrive on a higher training frequency as I’m a creature of habit and am more consistent on a 6 day a week program than a three day a week program.

I tried finding a quote from here on the forums with regards to program, but I couldn’t find it so I’ll paraphrase it. The reason there are 2 day a week programs, 3 day a week programs and 6 day a week programs is because they all work. Consistency reigns supreme.

How physically active have you been during this time? You might have some mobility issues that you aren’t aware of yet. It’s time to relearn the fundamental movement patterns The 6 Foundational Movement Patterns so it might be better to have say 3 days dedicated to strength training and the other 2-3 to practicing movements, and mobility.

I think Wendler has a pretty great post on his site, Help a Friend Get Stronger. If I had a friend ask me the same thing as you did, that’s where I would point them.

1 Like

Ease back into it slowly. No need to force things. Initial gains will probably be something like “noob gains”

Stay consistent. Train conservatively for now. Perfect technique. Eat right. Recover right. Only a matter of time until you get back to previous levels.

1 Like

I’ve been quite active other than weightlifting, think hiking, bike riding. I live in NYC and walk at least 5 miles total a day as per Apple watch.
As I stated before I’m a physical therapist and do mobility work every morning and night almost 6 days a week. So I haven’t really been a couch potato, I just get very serious when I make up my mind.
Thanks for the tips all. I used to frequent the forums here back in the day, probably first or day I’ve made in years. Always learned great anecdotal info here.

That’s awesome you’ve stayed active while building your business and family. Many do not. Mobility work is great also and will help you as you progress with a body building program. That being said, outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and walking wont prepare your body for a full blown hard training split. If you jump back in after doing no weight training, you will be so sore you wont want to go back. This is why everyone is saying just ease back in. Go a couple days a week, dont train like an animal or to failure. I’ve mad this mistake many times after a few short 2-6 week breaks over the years and I ALWAYS regret not starting slow and eating back into my routine.

2 Likes