T Nation

USAPL Nationals

Hey all-

Going to my first national-level contest in St.Louis in July. Just wanted to know if anyone here has competed or attended a national level contest before.

Also, what kinds of things can I expect? Specifically, how long will I have between my 3rd squat attempt and 1st deadlift attempt, for example. Any other helpful or hilarious advice would be greatly appreciated.

TM,

It will be the fastest Meet you have ever been in. After weigh ins get started loosening up because in 2 hours after weigh in you start. Right after squats pull off squat suit and warm up BP. Fast Fast fast. Have a plan and a plan B.

Bring a lot of water and a towel. Focus on your own lifting because it is easy to get wowed by everybody else. You earned being there, so do yoru thing and let the chips fall in the dl. Build your subtotal carefully then DL for place then PRs.

A great experience.

jack

TM,

I will be at the meet. What weight class are you lifting in? and do you have some one to help you?

Malinda

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
Hey all-

Going to my first national-level contest in St.Louis in July. Just wanted to know if anyone here has competed or attended a national level contest before.

Also, what kinds of things can I expect? Specifically, how long will I have between my 3rd squat attempt and 1st deadlift attempt, for example. Any other helpful or hilarious advice would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

I will be lifting in the 275 class. Look for the clueless one trying desperately to get his new squat suit on. I am bringing a friend who helped me with my local contest; look forward to seeing you there!

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
TM,

I will be at the meet. What weight class are you lifting in? and do you have some one to help you?

Malinda

TunaMonkey wrote:
Hey all-

Going to my first national-level contest in St.Louis in July. Just wanted to know if anyone here has competed or attended a national level contest before.

Also, what kinds of things can I expect? Specifically, how long will I have between my 3rd squat attempt and 1st deadlift attempt, for example. Any other helpful or hilarious advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

Make sure your squats are deep and clean, USAPL national meets are picky to say the least. Bench press is another place you want to make sure your lifts are clean. Make sure you can get your feet flat if you use a big arch, and your butt doesn’t move. (don’t be surprised if your butt stays on the bench but still moves and you get called for it).

Practice holding weights at lockout before and after the lift, there will be a seemingly endless wait for the start and press command. Make sure your opener looks effortless.

I like to massage my legs/hips/back since they get used so much in all three and put horse liniment on them between lifts. Bringing a monster energy drink or two with you might not hurt.

I might be loading at that meet (can you say GPP?) I’ll let you know if I am. Gotta take care of the 242Lber from our gym. good luck

If you need some more help let me know. I will be down working with a 242’er as well that day.

Malinda

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
I will be lifting in the 275 class. Look for the clueless one trying desperately to get his new squat suit on. I am bringing a friend who helped me with my local contest; look forward to seeing you there!

firebug9 wrote:
TM,

I will be at the meet. What weight class are you lifting in? and do you have some one to help you?

Malinda

TunaMonkey wrote:
Hey all-

Going to my first national-level contest in St.Louis in July. Just wanted to know if anyone here has competed or attended a national level contest before.

Also, what kinds of things can I expect? Specifically, how long will I have between my 3rd squat attempt and 1st deadlift attempt, for example. Any other helpful or hilarious advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]