Usain Bolt 19.67! Fastest 200m of Year

[quote]eic wrote:
saps wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
eic wrote:
I got a question . . . How is it that the WR in the 200 is 19.32, which translates to 9.66 over 100 meters, but the fastest 100 meter time ever, with illegal wind, is only 9.68? What am I missing?

The second 100m of the 200 is from a flying start, so it is much faster.

Exactly, the second 100m of a sub 20sec 200m is done is less than 9 seconds.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was just thinking about the fact that even the elite sprinters start losing speed at around the 60 meter mark of the 100, so I was wondering how they could sustain the speed through the 200. I guess the flying start really makes more of a difference than I thought. Any idea what the fastest split ever is for the second 100 meters of the 200? I bet it is BLAZING![/quote]

You should look at 4x100m relay splits! Flying starts and sometimes they don’t even carry the baton 100m. Jamaica is going to own the 4x100. I want Asafa Powell to win the 100m though and Bolt can take the 200m. Asafa needs a gold medal. He can’t choke up this time. I think Liu Xiang wins gold in a WR time. And Merritt beats Wariner for the gold.

Let’s play a fill in the blank game instead.
Be bold, make your predictions right here:

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games ___________________________.

TKO’s

Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will be so anti-climactic they’ll make my weiner soft.

Ya! Ya! Ret’s Get Agglesive!!

This is what I want.

• Cheerleaders leave the court area during a break at the European Beach Volleyball Championship Final in Hamburg July 11,

This is what we’ll get, damn it.

• Members of the Huayi Cheerleading Team practise in their neighbourhood in Beijing July 11, 2008. The cheerleading team which members are between 49 and 73 years old, will cheer on the stands in the stadiums during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

Does anyone else think Bolt’s speed seems unnatural, I assume they drug test very strictly at these competitions but he is blowing away the pack.

He is very impressive.

[quote]mjc381 wrote:
Does anyone else think Bolt’s speed seems unnatural, I assume they drug test very strictly at these competitions but he is blowing away the pack.

He is very impressive.[/quote]

He ran 21.73 in the 200 at age 14 and 20.13 as a scrawny 16 year old. Bolt just has crazy genetics for speed.

What are everyones predictions for the Olympics?

Mine are:

100m - Powell to win in 9.75, Bolt second in 9.78 and Gay third in 9.81.

200m - Bolt first and Spearmon second

400m - Wariner followed by Merit

[quote]eic wrote:
saps wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
eic wrote:
I got a question . . . How is it that the WR in the 200 is 19.32, which translates to 9.66 over 100 meters, but the fastest 100 meter time ever, with illegal wind, is only 9.68? What am I missing?

Exactly, the second 100m of a sub 20sec 200m is done is less than 9 seconds.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was just thinking about the fact that even the elite sprinters start losing speed at around the 60 meter mark of the 100, so I was wondering how they could sustain the speed through the 200. I guess the flying start really makes more of a difference than I thought. Any idea what the fastest split ever is for the second 100 meters of the 200? I bet it is BLAZING![/quote]

I think your confusing acceleration with velocity. Many sprinters don’t even hit full speed until the 50 or 60 meter mark.

Prediction

100m
Powell 9.68WR Bolt 9.70 Gay (DNF Injury)

200m Bolt 19.51 PR Spearman 19.91

400m Wariner 43.25 PR Meritt 43.40 PR

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:

Mine are:

[/quote]

100m - Headwind, Powell. Neutral or tail, Bolt.

[quote]saps wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
eic wrote:

Exactly, the second 100m of a sub 20sec 200m is done is less than 9 seconds.[/quote]

Not quite. MJ’s split was 10.12 during his 200m WR, putting his second 100 at 9.2. You will usually see the best guys anywhere from 9.3 to 9.6.

EDIT: For eic, I’m pretty sure that 9.20 by MJ was the fastest ever.

Bolt also has an unusually fast body for his size, he is so tall and lengthy that his strides are just so much better then a shorter sprinter. If bolt even gets a half way decent start his top speed will beat anyones and end up winning the race.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

Mine are:

100m - Headwind, Powell. Neutral or tail, Bolt.[/quote]

Does everyone really think Powell will win the 100m? I do, but I kind of expected to see more people betting on Bolt. I’m really hoping conditions are right to break 9.7.

I also agree that Gay will likely pull up or scratch before the finals. A month just isn’t enough time to fully recover from even a minor hamstring strain, but I wish him well.

My predictions:

100m - Powell in 9.69, Bolt in 9.71, Patton in 9.85

200m - Bolt 19.5x, Spearmon 19.7x, Dix 19.7x

400m - Wariner reigns, Meritt, who knows?

That’s nothing. My 200M is 25.9. I win right? more is always better right?

But seriously, Bolt will break the 200M record eventually.

Agreed, he’s got the potential. 41.5 strides for 100m, dayum…

My predictions for the sprints:

100m - Bolt - gold, Powell - silver, Gay - bronze

200m - Bolt - gold, Dix - silver, Spearmon - bronze

400m - Merritt - gold, Wariner - silver, Brown - bronze

I’m a little surprised nobody picked Gay as the favorite. He is great sprinter and I really like his technique, talk about high knees and dorsiflexion. The hamstring pull at the 200m trials was a shame, hope he can fully recover in time.

We are going to see the three fastest 100m sprinters of all time going on 100% against each other, if all goes well. It’s going to be a memorable year for the track and field.