T Nation

USA vs China


#1

China has been dredging and building some man made islands in contested waters of the South China sea. The US has said they fear that China is doing this for military purposes. The US has sent aircraft over these islands and China has threatened those US aircraft, once with a CNN reporter on board documenting the event.

China has been building it's military in recent years.

This was reported around a week after the encounter with the CNN reporter on the US aircraft.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/us-air-force-confirms-boeings-electromagnetic-pulse-weapon/

I would like to get some feedback on what some of you think a war would look like, if one broke out with China. Do you think Russia, Iran, North Korea, and China would be an alliance?

Where do you think the battles would take place? Mostly in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Asia, and South America?

Do you think the US would ever let battles reach our soil before using nuclear weapons?


#2

IMO the US and China are too economically intertwined to go to war;

Also, Russia and China are not as close of allies as everyone believes, this is apparent if you read RT network and Chinese media


#3

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#4

I am not saying I think a war with China is for sure going to happen. I am asking what the posters in here, who over the years have had strong opinions about different wars and what they believe a war with China would look like?


#5

True Irony . I just got back from China 4 days in Beijing 8 days in Shanghai . America better be careful or China will eat it’s lunch


#6

This may be China’s attempt to fortify their defenses, since they lack carriers and don’t actually have any real way to project conventional force beyond their own borders.

In any case, gut feeling says that this is just people hyping things up.

There has to be a very special reason (as in, the country feels like it’s in literal mortal danger) for China and the U.S. to fight one another.


#7

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#8

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#9

[quote]mbdix wrote:

Do you think the US would ever let battles reach our soil before using nuclear weapons?

[/quote]

With Obama as President anything is possible. He treats our friends as enemies and our enemies as our friends.


#10

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
True Irony . I just got back from China 4 days in Beijing 8 days in Shanghai . America better be careful or China will eat it’s lunch [/quote]

I don’t feel that way, about China “eating our lunch”.

How does your experience in China give you the impression that they would dominate us in conflict?


#11

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Clancy wrote a novel about this a few years ago. I think it was Clancy.[/quote]

The Bear and the Dragon, by Tom Clancy.


#12

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Clancy wrote a novel about this a few years ago. I think it was Clancy.[/quote]

I didn’t see this post earlier. I will look for the book. I like reading Clancy’s work.


#13

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Clancy wrote a novel about this a few years ago. I think it was Clancy.[/quote]

The Bear and the Dragon, by Tom Clancy.

[/quote]

Cool


#14

http://www.forbes.com/sites/donaldkirk/2015/05/30/war-cloouds-over-south-china-sea-as-u-s-declares-right-to-waters-and-u-s-warship-arrives-at-syubic/


#15

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
This may be China’s attempt to fortify their defenses, since they lack carriers and don’t actually have any real way to project conventional force beyond their own borders.

In any case, gut feeling says that this is just people hyping things up.

There has to be a very special reason (as in, the country feels like it’s in literal mortal danger) for China and the U.S. to fight one another.
[/quote]

Iircc, you are wrong about the carriers.

[/quote]

China isn’t as interested in projecting their power beyond their borders as in countering the ability for the US to project power within its borders, and their expanding border claims.

It’s been going on for awhile now but the media tends to blow things up when they run out of other things to talk about:


#16

“I have been critical of China for a pattern of provocative actions that they’ve begun in the recent past. Like unilaterally declaring an air-defense identification zone over the East China Sea, parking a mobile oil platform off the Vietnam coast, and their lack of clarity on their outrageous claim - preposterous claim, really - to 90% of the South China Sea… All these examples, I think, are inconsistent with international laws and norms. They make China’s neighbors nervous, it increases tensions in the region, and I think they are destabilizing for peace in the region… They have manufactured land there at a staggering pace just in the last months. They’ve created about 2,000 acres of these man-made islands. That’s equivalent to about 1,500 football fields, if I get my math right, and they’re still going… They’ve also made massive construction projects on artificial islands for what are clearly, in my point of view, military purposes, including large airstrips and ports.”

  • the next head of US Pacific Command, Admiral Harry Harris

Cant wait for you know who to post, and tell us there’s nothing to see here despite all evidence suggesting otherwise.


#17

[quote]Aggv wrote:
“I have been critical of China for a pattern of provocative actions that they’ve begun in the recent past. Like unilaterally declaring an air-defense identification zone over the East China Sea, parking a mobile oil platform off the Vietnam coast, and their lack of clarity on their outrageous claim - preposterous claim, really - to 90% of the South China Sea… All these examples, I think, are inconsistent with international laws and norms. They make China’s neighbors nervous, it increases tensions in the region, and I think they are destabilizing for peace in the region… They have manufactured land there at a staggering pace just in the last months. They’ve created about 2,000 acres of these man-made islands. That’s equivalent to about 1,500 football fields, if I get my math right, and they’re still going… They’ve also made massive construction projects on artificial islands for what are clearly, in my point of view, military purposes, including large airstrips and ports.”

  • the next head of US Pacific Command, Admiral Harry Harris

Cant wait for you know who to post, and tell us there’s nothing to see here despite all evidence suggesting otherwise. [/quote]

I agree. Also, China is way to complex and their history is so scattered in practices it is to hard, especially for a civilian with limited data to make an iron clad judgement on their international intentions and goals.


#18

[quote]theuofh wrote:
their expanding border claims.

[/quote]

Isn’t this a starting point for most of the wars?


#19

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
True Irony . I just got back from China 4 days in Beijing 8 days in Shanghai . America better be careful or China will eat it’s lunch [/quote]

Please consider staying there permanently next time.[/quote]

Other than pollution , it would be a pleasure and of course the lack of a good pot connection :slight_smile:


#20

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

Other than pollution

[/quote]

This is my only true issue with china. I have no problem with them competing from global prominence, but the way they treat the environment is downright shameful and disgusting.