T Nation

USA, USA, USA

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver’s license with HER FACE COVERED, one American had had enough. This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper.

“IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or his culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the “politically correct” crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely comprised of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.
This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! “In God We Trust” is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right-wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, a fact which is abundantly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
If the Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don’t like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don’t care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion, and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you’re done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom: THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.”

I suppose some liberal do gooder will rip this apart but guess what? I can exercise exercise my right NOT to read any of the replies. Flame on Libbies.

This is old, and it’s been passed through the Internet tied to a variety of different stories of Why the author wrote this story.

Chads, burkas. What’s next for Florida?

Come on, a covered face on a driver’s license? Who in their right mind would allow that? Remember the “Unknown Comic” from years ago? Why not just have his driver’s license with a paper bag? Geez! So what would happen if she just happened to wear a different colored veil that day?

BTW, I agree pretty much with this. It’s interesting to see how all these people who come to this country want the money and lifestyle, but nothing else of the culture. Hey, keeping the memory of your roots is all fine and dandy, but I’m not going around wearing skins and carrying a broadsword (but that may not be such a bad idea).

Well said.

I never understood where this womans freedom was being stepped on during this whole issue, she has the freedom to come to America, where she is given the freedom of choice to take her vail off or take the bus! Besides that, is it not against her culture for a woman to drive? If she can break that tradition, whats wrong with breaking one more! I guess you get to pick and choose which traditions everyone else has to adapt to in order to suit you?

Check out the National Association of Tactical Officers website for more fun on this one. And the purpose of photo ID is?
Best of Luck.

Yeah, I’m a liberal, and that letter almost made me vomit. Yes, she should take off her burka for a drivers license. No, the rest of the things she said are complete crap. This nation was founded by slave owners as well as Christians, and peoples with 9 original language dialects not including the hundreds of native american dialects that preexisted us. If we are to remember some of our “roots” than why not others? Anyhow, to love a country is as stupid as hating a country, it discounts or eliminates individual differences, the celebration of which is what makes the experience that is America unique.

The only fallacy in this article is the idea that we should allow, or force, our goverment to teach our children about God.

DON’T GET ME WRONG…if you have read my posts you would get the idea that I am a devout Christian and am passionate about my faith in Christ. However, it is up to us Christians (rather than the lost, secular goverment) to teach our children about God, the 10 commandments, the gospel of Christ, etc. Throwing up a copy of the 10 commandments on the wall of a school ain’t changing nobodies’ life. But the gospel of Christ can. And this is where the church comes in. My point is, it’s a waste of time, especially with such demonic groups as the ACLU. So if you want to educate america about God, be a man: take them to church and sunday school every week. That’s were the effort needs to be placed. Sihhhh…finally got that out. Sorry.

If they put up copies of Christian material, I should be able to put up copies of whatever satanist material I want.

I agree with what he wrote. My parents are from Argentina. My dad told me once that you respect and accept the customs and wages of the country you are in. I totally agreed with him. He came to America to make a better life for us and I thank him every day for it! He learned English and took up American customs. As when I visit Argentina I take up there customes and don’t complain if they are foolish. I speak as much spanish as I can and try to be nice with those I interact as not to offend there ways. Why can’t they do the same for us. Im tired of people saying this country all people are immigrants. Its been long enough we are our own people too. If you go with the logic of immigration and everyone moved. Then all the people that live in South America, Europe, and Asia are immigrants too. Well all came from Africa 50,000 years ago.
And Sickened about this nation was founded by slave owners. WHO CARES. ALL through out history slavery was a common thing. The roman empire had millions of slaves. The Chinese, everyone did. This is how it went in the old days. Group A fights Group B, Group B looses, Group A takes everything of Group B including them. Nothing new there. Its happened hundereds of times all over the world. About the language. Your right there has been multiple languages spoken in this country. But as countries fought (french and english, dutch) the winner’s language spread. Go back to the whole Group A fights Group B thing. Also the big thing, what language is the CONSITUTION written? ENGLISH!!!

Give an inch, take a foot. My family came from Cuba in the early 50’s and werent given a damn thing. They had nothing but the shirts on their back when they came and had to work their asses off to provide for their children. Many places wouldnt even rent to “blacks or Cubans” and finding work was difficult back then when you didnt speak English. Yet, despite all their hardships in adapting to a new country, they were very grateful. To this day, you better not say one negative thing about the US to anyone in my family or you will be eaten alive. That goes for the majority of the thousands of Cubans that came back then.
Now, they come and have govt handouts, their own tv stations, newspapers, and dont even need to learn the language to survive AND THEY STILL BITCH. The first thing they look for is a cell phone and the addresses to the trendiest clubs on South Beach. Trust me, i hate having to say this, but not only are they ungrateful to MY country, they give all Cubans a bad name.

ps: go heavy or go home

I think it is a given that any time you chose to visit or live in any country, you should expect to have to live by thier rules, customs, and respect thier beliefs and values. It seems like simple common sense to me and to alot of other people, including many immigrants. The natives of every other country I have visited has expected that of me. I am truly puzzled by the silly idiots that try to accomodate everybody no matter what, clearly it’s not possible to do that without creating even greater public outcry. Keep on making exceptions for everybody that complains and see where that gets you. Smack dab in the middle of a major goatf**k. Personally I feel discriminated against whenever lawmakers in my own country make special rules and allowances to newcomers to my country without granting the same leeway with me. If I tried to claim that my religion prevented me from having a picture of my face on my drivers license I would get tossed in the loony bin, or be denied the right to own a drivers license and no-one would argue in my defense. Seems like a double standard to me.

It amazes me how people can decide to move to another country and not learn the language. This applies to Americans as well; I know people here in Japan who’ve been here for years and still can’t speak a lick of Japanese other than daily greetings and such. Pitiful. Disrespectful. Absurd. And, ultimately, they are the ones who lose out (as laziness always ends up sticking the lazy person in the ass), because when you learn another language your mind expands in a way that is absolutely impossible to attain any other way.

They lose out other ways, too. True story: A Marine who’d been here for two years was at a bar trying to make time with a Japanese girl. He asked me to interpret for him. Having known this guy before and having asked him why he didn’t bother learning the language (his answer: “Why, dude? What’s the point?”), I agreed.

Him to me: Ask her what her phone number is.

Me to the girl (in Japanese): He says he wants to bend you over and march you from here to northern Hokkaido.

The girl: [stares at me in horror and shakes her head mutely]

Me to the guy: She doesn’t want to give you her number, man.

Guy: Damn. [Finishes his beer, leaves the bar shortly thereafter]

Me to the girl: I’m really sorry for what that asshole said. Can I get you something…?

“Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! “In God We Trust” is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right-wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, a fact which is abundantly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.”

What the hell??? WTF are you and the rest of the people who believe this crap smoking? Did you sleep through every history class through 12 years of school?

This country was founded by people seeking freedom of oppression from their CHOICE of religion. They got sick of the assholes back “home” who were shoving a particular practice of religion on them. So they came here to practice how they wanted. And to give that right to CHOOSE to anyone who wanted it. Your choice may be Christianity, but it is far from your RIGHT to force that crap down anyone’s throat.

Rights? You have the RIGHT to talk about whatever religion you want. But me and my children have the right not to sit and listen to your bullshit propoganda. So get it out of my schools and out of other places my taxes pay to build and run.

And along the same vein, these people have the RIGHT to speak whatever the hell they want. They can be ostracized for not speaking it, but last time I checked, we didn’t have an official national language.<br

Does all this make a me a “liberal”? Maybe so, maybe not. Do I give a shit? Not really.

Heh, I agree with the language thing. I mean damn, how can you come into a country and not learn the language? My parents had it right when they brought me here. They raised me on English only. I kinda wish I knew the Filipino stuff now, and I still don’t see how I didn’t learn Spanish considering I lived in L.A. and spent summers in San Diego for 6 years, but oh well.

As for choice of religion, what about athiests and agnostics? Who gives them representation? Now, I am an athiest and I don’t like the American Athiest Association or whatever they call themselves. Yeah, they may be doing some great things, but I’ve met a couple members and all I’ve seen are a bunch of arrogant assholes who think the fact they’re Darwinians makes them more intelligent than all the thiests out there. Grrr… they infuriate me.

“Did you sleep through every history class through 12 years of school?”

Nope, I sure didn't. This country was founded on Christian principles. "In God We Trust" isn't our national motto for nothing.

"This country was founded by people seeking freedom of oppression from their CHOICE of religion."

Yep, they were english speaking, God fearing people. If you think that is wrong you need to learn a bit more about our founding fathers.

"They got sick of the assholes back "home" who were shoving a particular practice of religion on them. So they came here to practice how they wanted. And to give that right to CHOOSE to anyone who wanted it. Your choice may be Christianity, but it is far from your RIGHT to force that crap down anyone's throat."

It wasn't being forced down anyone's throat. The writer of the article was stating what our culture, language, and beliefs are and the attempts by the radical left to disolve these things. The left wants the U.S more diversified, to the point that we will cease to be the United States. The radical left is beyond absurdity.

"Rights? You have the RIGHT to talk about whatever religion you want. But me and my children have the right not to sit and listen to your bullshit propoganda."

Sorry Spanky, but that article was correct from top to bottom. Perhaps your children should read that article. Or do you not let them for fear that they will learn the truth? Spanky, you are the definition of a liberal. Your all the same. I can't talk about Christianity because I'm forcing a belief on you, but I sure as hell can talk about atheism or Islam. Hell, the Muslims can build a damn mosque on ground zero in New York City, but I can't put God bless America anywhere without a liberal throwing a fit. Truth be told I'll probably get sued by you because I'm not being sensitive to your different opinions.

"So get it out of my schools and out of other places my taxes pay to build and run."

Sorry to break it you Spanky, but do you realize how much better off this country would be if more people had the opinion of the writer of this article? Do you realize how much better off this country would be if people like you didn't live here?

"And along the same vein, these people have the RIGHT to speak whatever the hell they want.

They sure do, but they sure as hell better learn english since that is the language our founding father spoke, and the language our constitution was written in.

"They can be ostracized for not speaking it, but last time I checked, we didn't have an official national language."

Yes we do you fool, it's english!

"Does all this make a me a "liberal"?

Does Howdie Doodie have wooden balls?

"Maybe so, maybe not. Do I give a shit? Not really."

You know Spanky, I don't want you to take any of what I said personally. You can't help being a brainwashed, radical liberal any more than a dog can help being a dog. You need to open your eyes to the world around you.

I shudder to think what this country would be like if someone like you were the president.It would be a place I wouldn't want to live.

Dustin

Avoids Roids for President!!

One question–if her face is covered on her license, will she drive with her face covered?

I wanted to stay out of all of these threads, cuz they usually degrade to nothing more than blubbering… but i got to address this one from spanky-

Spanky wrote: " Your choice may be Christianity, but it is far from your RIGHT to force that crap down anyone’s throat.

Rights? You have the RIGHT to talk about whatever religion you want. But me and my children have the right not to sit and listen to your bullshit propoganda. So get it out of my schools and out of other places my taxes pay to build and run."

Rights? You have the RIGHT to not believe in any religion, or in every religion. But me and my family have the right not to sit and listen to your bullshit propaganda, as well my friend. So get the agnostic/atheist teachings out, as well. If I do indeed believe in a greater power, than the teachings of evolution go against my beliefs. But I suppose since I do believe in God, I don?t count, huh? And any time a balance in the teachings is suggested ? equal time for intelligent design and evolutionary theories, ppl like yourself get in a damn uproar about keeping religion out of schools. I suppose my taxes don?t go to build and run schools or any other places for that matter…

I now steal a line from someone here ? kindly go uppercut yourself.

Conservative does not equate to Christian.

There is no official U.S. language.

A large number of the founding fathers were Deists, not Christians.