T Nation

USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Apparel Regulations

Hi everyone, I’m a new member to this forum and am hoping you all can help me out. I am planning competing in an upcoming PL meet and I am having a hard time fully understanding what the rules are for apparel as far as logos and the such go.

So, for the quick and simple version of my question…

Would I be allowed to buy a competition legal singlet and then have as many logos from sponsors as I possibly can grab screen-printed on it?
Just one?
I think I understood that my t-shirt is allowed to have one non-offensive logo in it, which would by the gym I train at in this case.

I wasn’t quite able to discern that from the USAPL book, but I read a passage saying something about a sponsor needing to pay to be displayed on the platform? I’m not sure if that meant the platform proper or merely the presence of the logo on the platform, period.

I really appreciate the help from you all and am glad to be part of T-Nation.

Cheers, everyone.

I don’t have a perfect answer for you but I wanted to mention 2 things - first it might depend on what meet you are doing. Meaning if you are doing a smaller, local USAPL meet it is unlikely (although not impossible) that the meet director will care if you have a singlet with some logos on it, assuming they are not offensive. However if you are doing Nationals or higher level they are more likely to be picky about the rules.

I would suggest you contact the meet director (info is usually found on the entry form), explain that you are new, and explain your question and then see what he/she says, and then you will have a definitive answer. Meet directors (at least in theory) want/need people to show up and they want new people to do it (who might become regulars) so they are usually pretty friendly and happy to help you out assuming you are nice and polite to them as well.

Hope that helps, good luck with your meet - it sounds like you might be going “Nascar” style with your singlet which could be kind of cool.
Tim

From IPF Rulebook (USAPL is an IPF affiliate):
www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_01_2012.pdf

“The lifting suit may bear the badge, emblem, logo and / or inscription of the lifter?s national
association, or sponsor. That which is offensive or liable to bring the sport into disrepute is not
allowed. (Refer to Inspection of Personal Equipment item 10 for Sponsor?s Logos. The lifter?s
name may be placed on the costume, or any item of personal apparel.”

Also,

“A lifting costume must be worn and shall be of a one - piece full length lifting suit of one - ply stretch
material without any patches, padding or division into panels by means of seams not necessary in the
manufacture of the costume. Any seams, false or otherwise, that in the opinion of the Technical
Committee, Jury, or in their absence the referees are incorporated into the costume purely as a form of
reinforcement or bracing, shall invalidate the costume from being used in the competition”

BUT

“Nations or lifters wishing to take advantage of the rules regarding sponsor?s logos being worn on
articles of personal equipment must apply for permission to the General Secretary. The application
must be made at least three months prior to the publication of the first competition, and must be
accompanied by a fee to be determined by the Executive. Upon permission being granted, the logo
may be suitably displayed in a position agreed between the IPF and the nation or lifter. It may be
worn for the remainder of the year and the following calendar year. The fee shall cover one
sponsor and one nation.
The IPF reserves the right to refuse permission if it considers that a logo falls below the required
standard of good taste or contravenes any prior commitment undertaken by the IPF with any
contractor such as television or championship promoter.
The IPF Executive Committee reserves the right to limit the size of the logo. Nations or lifters may
display national emblems or badges without payment of a fee. Similarly manufacturer?s logos
displayed upon IPF approved items of equipment for which a sanction fee has been paid will not
require additional fees.
Lifters wishing to wear sponsor?s logos must present a current permit or receipt to the referees
examining equipment unless it is featured on the IPF Approved list. Manufacturer?s logos printed
or embroidered measuring no more than 10 cm?s x 2 cm?s on non-supportive suits, T-shirts, and
belts need not be masked/covered.
Should the logo also feature a manufacturer?s emblem, this need not be masked”

So in summation.

Like Tim said, contact your meet director.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:
From IPF Rulebook (USAPL is an IPF affiliate):
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_01_2012.pdf

“The lifting suit may bear the badge, emblem, logo and / or inscription of the lifter?s national
association, or sponsor. That which is offensive or liable to bring the sport into disrepute is not
allowed. (Refer to Inspection of Personal Equipment item 10 for Sponsor?s Logos. The lifter?s
name may be placed on the costume, or any item of personal apparel.”

Also,

“A lifting costume must be worn and shall be of a one - piece full length lifting suit of one - ply stretch
material without any patches, padding or division into panels by means of seams not necessary in the
manufacture of the costume. Any seams, false or otherwise, that in the opinion of the Technical
Committee, Jury, or in their absence the referees are incorporated into the costume purely as a form of
reinforcement or bracing, shall invalidate the costume from being used in the competition”

BUT

“Nations or lifters wishing to take advantage of the rules regarding sponsor?s logos being worn on
articles of personal equipment must apply for permission to the General Secretary. The application
must be made at least three months prior to the publication of the first competition, and must be
accompanied by a fee to be determined by the Executive. Upon permission being granted, the logo
may be suitably displayed in a position agreed between the IPF and the nation or lifter. It may be
worn for the remainder of the year and the following calendar year. The fee shall cover one
sponsor and one nation.
The IPF reserves the right to refuse permission if it considers that a logo falls below the required
standard of good taste or contravenes any prior commitment undertaken by the IPF with any
contractor such as television or championship promoter.
The IPF Executive Committee reserves the right to limit the size of the logo. Nations or lifters may
display national emblems or badges without payment of a fee. Similarly manufacturer?s logos
displayed upon IPF approved items of equipment for which a sanction fee has been paid will not
require additional fees.
Lifters wishing to wear sponsor?s logos must present a current permit or receipt to the referees
examining equipment unless it is featured on the IPF Approved list. Manufacturer?s logos printed
or embroidered measuring no more than 10 cm?s x 2 cm?s on non-supportive suits, T-shirts, and
belts need not be masked/covered.
Should the logo also feature a manufacturer?s emblem, this need not be masked”

So in summation.

Like Tim said, contact your meet director.[/quote]
jeez your still alive, So up date your friggen log