US Teachers' Hours Among World's Longest

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
Education not important either. We can all teach our kids creationism at home. Wonder how that will turn out?[/quote]

Fancy nice of you. Way to stereotype. I know about 2 dozen homeschooling families, both relatives and nonrelative. Without exception their kids are all way the hell ahead of their age group in all subjects. One family in particular has 3 kids on full academic scholarship and 1 going to law school…oh and by the way the daughter going to law school is 2 years younger than her “peers” because she was that far ahead of everyone else in public school.

In addition the homeschooled kids that I knew in college, while definitely not aware of most pop culture references and having certain (very minor, mind you) deficiencies in social cuing were without a doubt the smartest and most logically advanced people I knew. Private academy people were up there with them, but I didn’t know many of those.

I have certain concerns with homeschooling, but one thing that has never been a concern has been the ability of the child to outperform pretty much everybody in school subject matter. And 100% of my experience has born that out.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

Just what I thought. Insults instead of the truth. [/quote]

I think you threw the first punch by claiming that home schooled kids think science is a dirty word. But you can’t count that right? That’s because you said it and whatever comes out of your golden liberal mouth is pure and perfect - HA

[quote]The truth is you will NEVER homeschool your kids because:[/1) You and your wife (if you are married) actually work for a living and do not have time to do all that is inviolved and you need a free babysitter.

or…

1. You are UNABLE because you don’t know these subjects yourself! I would LOVE to see you try to understand advanced math or science.[/quote]

You are amazing…you can look at someone’s post and with ZERO knowledge of their economic, or educational background claim to know why they don’t home school their kids. Unfortunately, for YOU, you’re wrong on both counts.

A decent school and great friends made the decision for us.

If you were actually as astute as you pretend to be you’d notice that I have no shortage of responses of all types. The ones that you are treated to are usually down and dirty because you are a fraud. Sound familiar? :wink:

Furthermore, when you remark about science being a dirty word to home school kids that’s an insult. And it’s pretty typical of the crap that you throw around on this board. You have a bias against people of faith. And also a strong one against republicans in general. That you cannot admit that is foolish as it shows through in many of your posts. So if you want to keep that little secret to yourself you better try harder “Professor”.

But at least I have the balls to go out in to the real world and earn my money. I don’t hide in an academic institution like you SAY you do. I actually help the economy with what I do. All you do (if you’re telling the truth and at this point I’m quite sure you’re not) is poison young people’s minds. Who is the worthless fuck? LOL

Really, they’re voting against their own economic interests by wanting their taxes to be lowered and for government to be smaller? That argument might work on a 19 year old kid but doesn’t wash very well with adults. That could be why you’ve not been very well received here on T Nation. Or at least not in the PWI threads, but then you knew that right?

And congrats on stereotyping AGAIN. LOL-- I dare say if you were a real Professor you’d have enough class to mask this nonsense and go another route. On the other hand if you were say…someone else. Someone that usually talks this way in his private life then of course this would be expected. The next thing I know you’ll be challenging me to meet you somewhere to fight. Isn’t that way keyboard warriors like you do? FRAUD!

[quote]It is obvious that you resent education (and educators) because you are STUPID and did not do well in school.
[/quote]

Ha ha…thank you for the belly laugh. But as always you’re wrong again. How many times is that? I just can’t keep track. But of course you know all of these things because you are an Internet warrior. And a “Professor” LOL.

Go away idiot. The more you post the more people realize what you are and who you are.

:slight_smile: (Remember that?)

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

English and Literature, Science(dirty word) [/quote]

Seriously? You like these snide passing “throwaway” comments and pretend they aren’t arrogant. Your implications are obvious. Come out and say what you have to say instead of being passive-aggressive.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS, hope this doesn’t discourage you from sharing your experience. How did homeschooling work out for you? I read at a very early age, as well and was generally bored in school.[/quote]

What a big boy you were! Sooo smart that school just bored you huh? Please tell us more of this fantasy.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
The funniest thing was that YOU called ME a bigot! Read your posts on gay marriage btw you fucking child.[/quote]

Not one time have I ever used a homosexual slur. Furthermore being against gay marriage does not make anyone a bigot. If so then about 70% of the American public are bigots. Politicians and liberal judges have brought us gay marriage. When it is up for referendum it fails every time.

Owned again “Professor”

FRAUD!

Actually, all I pretty much did was ask questions. This is EXACTLY what I expected, though.

If you don’t believe in evolution, as most religious nuts don’t, you might homeschool your children to keep them from learning about it, right? You don’t believe christianity has been anti-science for thousands of years? You know what I meant, you are just pissed that it is true.

So much hate here. More personal attacks. More BS about professor this and fraud that. If you are not rich and vote to lower taxes on the rich, while services you use are cut, you truely are out of your mind. You people are so far gone that there is no point in debate.

Zeb, your kids must be proud. You are simply an asshole. An abrasive, loud-mouthed, ignorant asshole. I have no more time for this. Make sure you break out Turners Diaries for their bedtime stories.

I teach a class in social media, so I have to plan to perhaps make a project out of this, so everyone can experience these batshit viewpoints and sheer hatred. I won’t have to poison anyone’s mind. You expose yourselves for the people you are.

Thanks for being the exact stereotype that you were denying.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
What do you know about it, Zeb? Do you home school your kids?[/quote]

I know that liberals like yourself stereotype things that you don’t understand. To you all republicans are red necks, and if anyone home schools their child they automatically fall into a group of closed mind people. And no I don’t home school my children. But after so many years dealing with the public school system, which is a gigantic inefficient dinosaur, I can see why there is a growing number of people who do choose home schooling.[/quote]

Now now, pumpkin, not all republicans are rednecks, just like not all liberals aren’t. It’s the fundamentalist religious people that are rednecks.

=)

inb4 accusations of christian bashing

I have a sister that is much younger than me (12 years) . She is ten years old and I have here doing algebra that she wouldn’t be starting till grade 9/10.

I without a doubt will either home school my kids or send them to a private school. If i’m not in a position to do this then I would wait and not have children. The public school system is a disaster. I can teach my sister in a week what she would learn in school in 3 months in public school. Truly pathetic. The system teaches to the lowest common denominator and discourages independent thinking and achievement. When the kids that are faster finish their work they either get to go play or clean the classroom. Never are kids pushed to the next level. This is whats typical in a B.C public school.

To anyone who thinks only the religious would homeschool- I myself am a staunch atheist ( perhaps antitheist…) and a prescriber to the scientific method.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
I have a sister that is much younger than me (12 years) . She is ten years old and I have here doing algebra that she wouldn’t be starting till grade 9/10.

I without a doubt will either home school my kids or send them to a private school. If i’m not in a position to do this then I would wait and not have children. The public school system is a disaster. I can teach my sister in a week what she would learn in school in 3 months in public school. Truly pathetic. The system teaches to the lowest common denominator and discourages independent thinking and achievement. When the kids that are faster finish their work they either get to go play or clean the classroom. Never are kids pushed to the next level. This is whats typical in a B.C public school.

To anyone who thinks only the religious would homeschool- I myself am a staunch atheist ( perhaps antitheist…) and a prescriber to the scientific method.[/quote]

Guess I’m not finished w/this thread now that real people have stated opinions lol.

I agree with all of this. Not sure about Canada, but now our schools are grouping learning disabled students in with the regular students. This is insane, IMO.

The lowest common denominator thing is right on. I come from a family of educators and we all agree on this point. Put the morons in a class for morons and smart kids with smart kids.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS, hope this doesn’t discourage you from sharing your experience. How did homeschooling work out for you? I read at a very early age, as well and was generally bored in school.[/quote]

I was still successfully indoctrinated into the system.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

To anyone who thinks only the religious would homeschool- I myself am a staunch atheist ( perhaps antitheist…) and a prescriber to the scientific method.[/quote]

Guess I’m not finished w/this thread now that real people have stated opinions lol.

I agree with all of this. Not sure about Canada, but now our schools are grouping learning disabled students in with the regular students. This is insane, IMO.

The lowest common denominator thing is right on. I come from a family of educators and we all agree on this point. Put the morons in a class for morons and smart kids with smart kids.[/quote]

A family of educators would be familiar with Gaskins Law. Sad but true.

http://www.psea.org/uploadedFiles/TeachingandLearning/Gaskin%20v.%20Pde.pdf

Thus, your “learning disabled” kids will be in the classroom with regular kids, with “the appropriate supports” however. Now, if you have a child thats deaf or some other non learning related disability, it would not be that much of an issue. But the way IEP’s are given out these days you get some real interesting cases in the classroom filled with normal kids. Couple this with the pressure for a teacher meeting AYP under No Child Left behind and you have the stress of the modern day public school teacher trying to do their job when the system is generally stacked against them.

Then you have charter schools. A novel idea that can render solutions. There are several very successful ones, KIPP and others. Charter schools pick who goes into their programs. They also receive state funds, that now in the state of Pennsylvania are non reimbursable to the host districts. Conflict of Interest?

Summers off is finally being realized as being a relatively benign idea. I believe there can be both public and private solutions to education… buts its definitely an uphill battle in this country. FWIW I do think kids can learn more at a faster rate if the bar is raised.

Homeschooling is in the rise, and not with only religious people. My girlfriends 12 year old sister gets homeschooled and since that started she has learned more in a year then she learned in the previous 3 easily… by the time she can drive she will be more prepared for college then most sophomores already in college… it helps that her mother originally wanted to teach but was appalled at the pay / how crappy other teachers were so she went into the banking industry training people…

I help them with the more difficult science (physics / basic engineering)… We will be using two college level books this year to work on physics and materials engineering… When i have children they will either attend a private school (where critical thinking is emphasized) or I will teach them myself…

oh, and with homeschooling the opertunities to tailor and education towards the childs interests are much greater. My girlfriends sister really likes art so for her birthday we got her a drawing tablet and the coputer software to learn graphic design (along with a book i got at the college bookstore)… in less then 3 months she worked through the entire book on her own…

Children are naturally curious and ready to learn and what do most of American parents do? shove them in a room with bullies and adults that don’t like children where hey are taught to “fit in”, obey and above all else to not question authority. They have their minds washed of their imagination all so they can be force-fed the mythology of American exceptionalism.

Children are naturally curious and ready to learn and what do most of American parents do? shove them in a room with bullies and adults that don’t like children where hey are taught to “fit in”, obey and above all else to not question authority. They have their minds washed of their imagination all so they can be force-fed the mythology of American exceptionalism.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Children are naturally curious and ready to learn and what do most of American parents do? shove them in a room with bullies and adults that don’t like children where hey are taught to “fit in”, obey and above all else to not question authority. They have their minds washed of their imagination all so they can be force-fed the mythology of American exceptionalism.[/quote]

Agreed. An excellent book on the subject is " Separating School and State" by Sheldon Richman.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

The lowest common denominator thing is right on. I come from a family of educators and we all agree on this point. Put the morons in a class for morons and smart kids with smart kids.[/quote]

So you agree that public schools are doing things that are “insane” and yet you are opposed to homeschooling ?

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
Education not important either. We can all teach our kids creationism at home. Wonder how that will turn out?[/quote]

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp

I think the facts speak for themselves.

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:
Actually, all I pretty much did was ask questions. This is EXACTLY what I expected, though.

If you don’t believe in evolution, as most religious nuts don’t, you might homeschool your children to keep them from learning about it, right? You don’t believe christianity has been anti-science for thousands of years? You know what I meant, you are just pissed that it is true.

So much hate here. More personal attacks. More BS about professor this and fraud that. If you are not rich and vote to lower taxes on the rich, while services you use are cut, you truely are out of your mind. You people are so far gone that there is no point in debate.[/quote]

This only demonstrates that you don’t understand supporting something on principle. People of principle vote & support things because they are right, not based on how much money it put’s in their pocket.

While homeschooling is obviously a positive thing. Lower income community children and parents would have a hard time participating in this. I believe the real issue is how to properly address that part of the equation.