US Super League Rugby Training

[quote]bluebear wrote:
ah, its nice to see another fitness and rugby obsessed hooker on T-Nation.

Why is it always us Hookers ??

I’m 5’8 and 95kg.

Struggling to get back into the swing of things since I displaced my pelvis deadlifting back in December. It turned out I hand some ligament damage from a game prior to the session.[/quote]

What team do you play for?

95kg - same height and weight as me. Fatty. lol.

Re hookers: Because we’re gluttons for punishment bro, what can I say? Unfortunately its not working too well right now, as we’re two months into season and i’m nursin the flu and pulled hamstrings!

I’ve noticed a big problem for me has been eating enough calories. Probably why I can’t shed this bit of bodyfat (stuck around 11-12%). Yesterday had a 2hr team session from 7-9 and I probably ingested around 2000 cal, if that. No wonder i’m hitting a wall at the end of training. Although considering i’ve been hacking up a lung, among other delightful flu-symptoms i’d rather not get into, just glad to survive the session. I’ve had to start setting the alarm on my phone for every 2.5 hrs so I frickin eat…possibly a symptom of being a FFB?

[quote]supermick wrote:
bluebear wrote:

I’m 5’8 and 95kg.

Struggling to get back into the swing of things since I displaced my pelvis deadlifting back in December. It turned out I hand some ligament damage from a game prior to the session.

What team do you play for?

95kg - same height and weight as me. Fatty. lol.[/quote]

I play at Cambridge rugby club, in, um, Cambridge funnily enough…

Hey - ease off on the fatties jibe - according to my doctor on the BMI I’m almost clinically obese…

back problems and therefore not training over the Christmas period did for my fat% this year sadly.

[quote]sledge2 wrote:
Re hookers: Because we’re gluttons for punishment bro, what can I say? Unfortunately its not working too well right now, as we’re two months into season and i’m nursin the flu and pulled hamstrings!

I’ve noticed a big problem for me has been eating enough calories. Probably why I can’t shed this bit of bodyfat (stuck around 11-12%). Yesterday had a 2hr team session from 7-9 and I probably ingested around 2000 cal, if that. No wonder i’m hitting a wall at the end of training. Although considering i’ve been hacking up a lung, among other delightful flu-symptoms i’d rather not get into, just glad to survive the session. I’ve had to start setting the alarm on my phone for every 2.5 hrs so I frickin eat…possibly a symptom of being a FFB? [/quote]

Gluttons for punishment is right - the hardest trainers in a rugby team are usually either the hooker or the openside. Which is a right pain when you’re another hooker and you see people palying who don;t train half as hard.

I have the same problems with calories and therefore energy levels. Sympathies.

Warning: This is a rant and in no way is related to rugby.

Why is it that people ask for training/nutrition help, and then when you offer advice they complain? Sitting with a female friend in a little chinese place close to campus, she is going to spring break in Florida next week and asked me for some ideas on how to chop some lbs off fast.

Since I follow Precision Nutrition, I pulled up the 7 Habits article from Doc Berardi. First thing I hear, as she dug into a plate of chicken, veggies and a shit ton of white rice (picking the veggies out I might add) and a huge Coke:

“BUT I CAN’T GIVE UP MY CARBS!”
“I dont want some high protein diet!”
“You’re takin away my carbs”

She also asked me what she should do to work out and drop some weight. And she used the “t” word; TONE. “I wanna just get toned, I dont wanna lift weights”. This from someone who does absolutely nothing. So I said hit the treadmill and do one of the interval programs a couple days a

“But I dont wanna run, it hurts my knees”
Then hit the elliptical
“But I dont wanna work out indoors”
Then go ride your bike at the park
“Yeah I guess…”

If you’re not even going to LISTEN to what i’m offering, why even ask? And who looks like a shithead to everyone else?? ME

Sorry…rant over…back to the good stuff…

Flu has just abotu run its course and the hammies are better…planning on getting some light recovery/sled work tomorrow…just finishing class with training to come tonite…

3/8 Team Training

Scrummaging
Lineouts
Continuity Work
Team semi-opposed work for Div II team.

Match on the weekend was cancelled so we’re having an extra training session before our Div II side starts their spring playoff season. I couldn’t be happier, since i’m sick as hell and I need to get these hammies healed up. But of course I wasnt going to skip playing, like a true stubborn idiot

[quote]sledge2 wrote:
Warning: This is a rant and in no way is related to rugby.

Why is it that people ask for training/nutrition help, and then when you offer advice they complain? Sitting with a female friend in a little chinese place close to campus, she is going to spring break in Florida next week and asked me for some ideas on how to chop some lbs off fast.

Since I follow Precision Nutrition, I pulled up the 7 Habits article from Doc Berardi. First thing I hear, as she dug into a plate of chicken, veggies and a shit ton of white rice (picking the veggies out I might add) and a huge Coke:

“BUT I CAN’T GIVE UP MY CARBS!”
“I dont want some high protein diet!”
“You’re takin away my carbs”

She also asked me what she should do to work out and drop some weight. And she used the “t” word; TONE. “I wanna just get toned, I dont wanna lift weights”. This from someone who does absolutely nothing. So I said hit the treadmill and do one of the interval programs a couple days a

“But I dont wanna run, it hurts my knees”
Then hit the elliptical
“But I dont wanna work out indoors”
Then go ride your bike at the park
“Yeah I guess…”

If you’re not even going to LISTEN to what i’m offering, why even ask? And who looks like a shithead to everyone else?? ME

Sorry…rant over…back to the good stuff…

Flu has just abotu run its course and the hammies are better…planning on getting some light recovery/sled work tomorrow…just finishing class with training to come tonite… [/quote]

Its been my experience that women especially don’t want to hear the truth, they want someone to moan at and someone who ‘understands’

she was after validation that she was attractive, not to actually have her self neuroses agreed with.

but anyway i digress from the topic of rugby and training. Sounds like you’re on the way back up - get yourself match fit before playing otherwise you’re storing up problems for burnout later on. One game here is not worth the expense of a match winning performance when it really matters.

[quote]bluebear wrote:

…[/quote]

Little man syndrome?

Face it. You are an ugly forward without the impressive size other forwards have.

Backs may not be huge but at least we are dashing and handsome.

Sorry about the rant, that shit drives me up the wall though…I understand the validation game and all that bullshit; I just don’t like to play it…

3/9 DE/RE Upper
Single Arm Jammer Press 8x3x65
Palms In Alt Arm Bench 4x12x55
DB Row 4x12x65
Bradford Press 4x12x75
Hanging Leg Raise 3x8
Floor Wipers 3x15

3/10
An hour of Yoga and some dynamic flexibility movements

3/11 Training
Forward Unit Continuity Work
Team run
Fitness
-obstacle coursex6
-(sprint length, jog width, sprint length, walk width)x5

3/12 Team Training

Film Session
Unit Work: Lineouts
Team Run

3/13: Rowing Workout
(1 Min Hard, 1 Min Easy)x15

hey bro,

Good to see you putting the effort in. I’m just starting my off season. Gonna give 4-6 weeks low cardion high gym. I’m just a amateur here in the Uk, any suggestions or hints for a 2nd row in the off season?

hey bro,

Good to see you putting the effort in. I’m just starting my off season. Gonna give 4-6 weeks low cardion high gym. I’m just a amateur here in the Uk, any suggestions or hints for a 2nd row in the off season?

The way the US Super League season is structured, the season only runs from January-June or so, excluding internationals (ie Churchill Cup, NA4, etc) so if you’re not an international, you can really devote a good 4-5 months to JUST lifting and speed work (no conditioning) or something before pre-season comes around again. I think its a good idea to hit the gym nice and hard and not bother with fitness for a little while, or at least make it a minor part of training just to keep from falling totally off the wagin!

…as Mike Boyle once said “It takes an athlete weeks to get fit, but takes years to get FAST”

3/14 ME Upper

Close Grip 95x5 135x5 165x5 185x3 205x3 215x3 225x3 235x3
DB Row 80x6 80x6 85x6 90x6
Military Press 105x6 105x6 115x6 115x6

3/15 Team Training
Film Session
Unit Work; Scrummaging and Lineouts
Team Run

It’s great to see a rugby training topic on here. I play club rugby in indiana and am currently 5’11’’ 240 lbs playing tighthead prop. I was thinking about doing the following split:
SUN: recovery walk, shower, foam roller
MON: ME UPPER
TUES: Practice
WED: ME Lower
THURS: Practice
FRI: Rest
SAT: Match

I was thinking about lifting on Sunday and moving the days foward to I could fit in a Rep Upper day. I followed the WSB4SB this offseason and had great results. I don’t know how lifting would go on Sunday considering I am usually sore from all the scrums.

Any input you veterans have is much appreciated since I just started playing last year. I used the new touch rule down in floridia in a tourney this year and i actually favor it from last year. the scrums are alot more stable but maybe that was just my inexperience last year.