US Strike Kills Afghan Police

From the fresh-news-department, there seems to be yet another case of Americans shooting first and asking questions later…

[i]"Seven Afghan policemen have been killed by US forces in a “friendly fire” incident in the eastern province of Nangarhar, Afghan officials say. […]

Local Afghan police insist that US-led forces opened fire on them first in the friendly fire incident at a security post in Nangarhar province on Monday night.

Speaking to the BBC, a senior police officer, Nasir Ahmad Safi, described the incident as “brutal”.

“Last night the Americans attacked our police post in the district and then they asked for air support. They attacked us from ground and air,” he said."[/i]

After the 21 civilians you bombed in Sangin…

After opening fire on civilians in a road until everyone was dead…

After the thousands and thousands of slaughtered kids since 2001…

Can anyone still wonder why some might shout “death to America”?

[quote]lixy wrote:
From the fresh-news-department, there seems to be yet another case of Americans shooting first and asking questions later…

[i]"Seven Afghan policemen have been killed by US forces in a “friendly fire” incident in the eastern province of Nangarhar, Afghan officials say. […]

Local Afghan police insist that US-led forces opened fire on them first in the friendly fire incident at a security post in Nangarhar province on Monday night.

Speaking to the BBC, a senior police officer, Nasir Ahmad Safi, described the incident as “brutal”.

“Last night the Americans attacked our police post in the district and then they asked for air support. They attacked us from ground and air,” he said."[/i]

After the 21 civilians you bombed in Sangin…

After opening fire on civilians in a road until everyone was dead…

After the thousands and thousands of slaughtered kids since 2001…

Can anyone still wonder why some might shout “death to America”?[/quote]

No chance those local Afghan police are full of shit I guess, lord knows there are no taliban fghters amongst the police. I’m not here to dispute your other links. As for death to America, they have been shouting that long before we stepped foot in Afghanistan. I know, I know they are all peace loving people who would stop killing us as long as we convert to islam and the only reason they are committing acts of terror is beacause we forced them to. Did I cover all my bases lixy?

Poor Lixy - a victim of his own crime of not doing his homework in the media:

[i]U.S. Mistakenly Kills 7 Afghan Police
By AMIR SHAH

Afghan police men are seen near the blood stain where their colleagues were mistakenly killed by US forces in Khogyani district of Nangarhar province east of Kabul, Afghanistan on Tuesday, June 12, 2007. Afghan police mistook U.S. troops on a nighttime mission for Taliban fighters and opened fire on them, prompting U.S. forces to return fire and call in attack aircraft, killing seven Afghan police, officials said Tuesday. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

[u]KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan police mistook U.S. troops on a nighttime mission for Taliban fighters and opened fire on them early Tuesday, prompting U.S. forces to return fire and call in attack aircraft. Seven Afghan police were killed.[/u]

Gunmen on motorbikes, meanwhile, killed two schoolgirls Tuesday in central Afghanistan, as U.S.-led coalition and Afghan troops killed more than 24 suspected Taliban fighters during a battle in the south on Monday, officials said.

[b][u]President Hamid Karzai’s spokesman said the deaths of the Afghan police were “a tragic incident” caused by a lack of communication.

“The police forces were not aware of the coalition’s operation,” said spokesman Karim Rahimi. “The police checkpoint in the area thought that they were the enemy, so police opened fire on the coalition, and then the coalition thought that the enemies were firing on them, so they returned fire back.”[/b][/u]

The commander at the remote checkpoint in the eastern province of Nangarhar, Esanullah, who goes by one name, said U.S. gunfire and helicopter rockets killed seven policemen and wounded four.

Maj. Chris Belcher, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition, said a combined coalition-Afghan force was ambushed by small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades from two sides while on the way to conduct an operation against a suspected Taliban safe house.

“Afghan and coalition forces took incoming fire and they responded to it,” Belcher said. The forces called in air support, he said.

A policeman at the remote checkpoint said police called out for the approaching U.S. forces to halt.

“I thought they were Taliban, and we shouted at them to stop, but they came closer and they opened fire,” said Khan Mohammad, one of the policemen at the post. “I’m very angry. We are here to protect the Afghan government and help serve the Afghan government, but the Americans have come to kill us.”

Rahimi said the incident was being investigated and showed why Karzai has repeatedly called for increased cooperation and communication between Afghan and international troops, which would also help solve the ongoing problem of civilian casualties in Afghanistan.

In Nangarhar province in March _ the same province of Tuesday’s police shootings _ 19 civilians were killed and 50 wounded by U.S. Marines Special Operations Forces who fired on civilians while speeding away from the site of a suicide bomb attack, casualties that sparked angry protests and denunciations of the U.S. presence there.

A U.S. military commander later determined that the Marines used excessive force.

The International Committee of the Red Cross on Tuesday said the impact of violence on civilians in Afghanistan is worse now than it was a year ago.

Pierre Kraehenbuehl, the ICRC’s director of operations, said fighting between armed opposition groups and the Afghan army supported by international forces had intensified significantly in the south and east of the country since 2006 and was spreading to the north and west.

“Civilians suffer horribly from mounting threats to their security,” such as increasing numbers of roadside bombs, suicide attacks and airstrikes, he said in a statement.

In central Logar province, gunmen on two motorbikes opened fire on students leaving an all-girls school, killing two schoolgirls and wounding six others, said Education Minister Mohammad Hanif Atmar.

In the southern Kandahar province, U.S.-led coalition and Afghan troops killed more than 24 suspected Taliban fighters during an eight-hour battle in Shah Wali Kot in southern Kandahar province, the coalition said Tuesday.

The troops were ambushed by militants, who retreated after several of their fighters were killed. A force of some 30 Taliban later attacked the same coalition convoy, who called in airstrikes on a compound and a vehicle, killing “over two dozen enemy fighters,” the coalition said.

Violence has spiked in Afghanistan in recent weeks. More than 2,300 people have died in insurgency-related violence this year, according to an Associated Press count based on U.S., NATO and Afghan figures.

Associated Press writer Rahim Faiez in Kabul contributed to this report.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)[/i]

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/06/12/ap/headlines/d8pn9eio0.txt

Lixy can’t wait to try and exploit every story as part of his radical propaganda. Looks like the police and the military had a miscommunication.

Does Lixy tell you this?

[quote]lixy wrote:
From the fresh-news-department, there seems to be yet another case of Americans shooting first and asking questions later…[/quote]

Who shot first, Lixy?

Thunderbolt you scared Lixy away.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
No chance those local Afghan police are full of shit I guess, lord knows there are no taliban fghters amongst the police. [/quote]

That’s besides the point. You’re evidently willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the US soldiers, but guess who the Muslim world would side with? Americans or Afghans?

And you think exacerbating the issue is the way to go?

if you’re refering to the tragic events of Sept. 11, I would agree with your sarcastic comment. But for every “bad guy” you get, you slaughter hundreds of innocents. There’s the distinct possibility that the relatives of those innocents might then turn into bad guys themselves.

You lost close to 3000 people on 9/11. You killed many many many times more since then. Do you think that’s a good strategy? I’m curious.

Another very telling bit of information.

Lixy’s article in the BBC actually does reference the fact that President Karzai supported the American account of what happened:

[i]In the capital, Kabul, a spokesman for President Hamid Karzai, Karim Rahimi, supported the American account in what he called a “tragic accident”.

“The police checkpoint in the area thought that they were the enemy, so police opened fire on the coalition, and then the coalition thought that the enemies were firing on them, so they returned fire back,” Mr Rahimi said, according to the Associated Press news agency.[/i]

(near bottom of page)

But Lixy curiously omits that from the part he quoted - interesting.

It is an important point in what was a tragic event. But Lixy never presents that nugget of information, despite it being in the article he quoted from.

Lixy, you understand propaganda better than you let on.

Or do you just read a fraction of an article, get a portion that fits within your ideology, make a snap conclusion, and ignore the rest of the pertinent information?

It was either intentional or unintentional - either way, it is damning.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Who shot first, Lixy? [/quote]

Did you even read the BBC article I posted?

“Local Afghan police insist that US-led forces opened fire on them first in the friendly fire incident at a security post in Nangarhar province on Monday night.”

[quote]lixy wrote:
snipeout wrote:
No chance those local Afghan police are full of shit I guess, lord knows there are no taliban fghters amongst the police.

That’s besides the point. You’re evidently willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the US soldiers, but guess who the Muslim world would side with? Americans or Afghans?

As for death to America, they have been shouting that long before we stepped foot in Afghanistan.

And you think exacerbating the issue is the way to go?

I know, I know they are all peace loving people who would stop killing us as long as we convert to islam

if you’re refering to the tragic events of Sept. 11, I would agree with your sarcastic comment. But for every “bad guy” you get, you slaughter hundreds of innocents. There’s the distinct possibility that the relatives of those innocents might then turn into bad guys themselves.

You lost close to 3000 people on 9/11. You killed many many many times more since then. Do you think that’s a good strategy? I’m curious.

[/quote]

Thats right lixy, you ignore where he completely shut you up. Just ignore that post and hope it goes away.

[quote]lixy wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
Who shot first, Lixy?

Did you even read the BBC article I posted?

“Local Afghan police insist that US-led forces opened fire on them first in the friendly fire incident at a security post in Nangarhar province on Monday night.”[/quote]

Did you even read [b[the rest[/b] of the BBC article you posted?

Come on lixy, you should know the US military would never lie about friendly fire incidents.

Djezus, what were you thinking? Talking about shooting yourself in the foot.

Hey, would that be a friendly fire incident, if you shoot yourself in the foot?

It is interesting that Karzai is taking the US side in this. After several bombing raids which locals complained of civilian casualties, Karzai tried to put a stop to this.

I am sure if the US was at fault, Karzai would speak out again. Being that he did not, I tend to believe the AP account.

Ah, spring is in the air, and lixy is in full bloom. The sweet smell of twisting half truths to further one’s own personal agenda.

sniff, sniff

Smells like crap to me.

Looks like Lixy abandoned the sinking ship…

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Looks like Lixy abandoned the sinking ship…[/quote]

Hardly unexpected. His pattern has become all too obvious.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Looks like Lixy abandoned the sinking ship…[/quote]

This thread isn’t about establishing what really happened. That’s something a court has to do.

The point of the thread was to discuss how such events are percieved in the Islamic world. You’re willing to grant your buddies the benefit of the doubt, but kids in Cairo or Algiers probably won’t. Guess what will happen to the ones that flunk out of college and can’t get a job?

So, yeah, unless you wanna discuss something relevant like the potential consequences of such incidents (as opposed to conjecturals “this side lies” and “I believe this side”), I’m not interested.

[quote]lixy wrote:
snipeout wrote:
Looks like Lixy abandoned the sinking ship…

This thread isn’t about establishing what really happened. That’s something a court has to do.

The point of the thread was to discuss how such events are percieved in the Islamic world. You’re willing to grant your buddies the benefit of the doubt, but kids in Cairo or Algiers probably won’t. Guess what will happen to the ones that flunk out of college and can’t get a job?

So, yeah, unless you wanna discuss something relevant like the potential consequences of such incidents (as opposed to conjecturals “this side lies” and “I believe this side”), I’m not interested.[/quote]

Wow, I never thought I would see you go to this point lixy. Trying to make us feel sorry for these kids so we won’t argue with you.

[quote]lixy wrote:

So, yeah, unless you wanna discuss something relevant like the potential consequences of such incidents (as opposed to conjecturals “this side lies” and “I believe this side”), I’m not interested.[/quote]

No, the point of this thread - perhaps unintentional - was to show Lixy’s desire to engage in propaganda.

You started this thread with a “in another shoot-first-ask-questions-later event” - which wasn’t the case at all, and your news piece said so.

Now, you have changed the subject - saying instead “it is a court’s place to decide”. Well, if that was true, why then did you jump to the conclusion that it was a “shoot-first-ask-questions-later” event on behalf of the Americans?

If you aren’t interested in having a discussion about “I believe this side”, etc., then why open with your belief in whose side you believed and then support it with half-truths?

You have been exposed, Lixy - just say “oops, got me”.

Lixy wrote:

“This thread isn’t about establishing what really happened. That’s something a court has to do”

Lixy - what “court” are you talking about?

The point of the thread was to discuss how such events are percieved in the Islamic world. You’re willing to grant your buddies the benefit of the doubt, but kids in Cairo or Algiers probably won’t. Guess what will happen to the ones that flunk out of college and can’t get a job?"

Lixy, perhaps those “kids” in Cairo or Algeirs should turn their attention to Arab on Arab violence in places like Beirut or Gaza, and not feign indignity over what’s happening in Afghaninstan - a war you cited you supported. Perhaps you supported it contingent on 100% error free fighting.

Anyway, last time I checked Hamas was throwing their rivals (Fatah) off of buildings, and murdering innocents and committing acts of violence and terror in the service of their brand of Islamic supremacism.

At the same time, Syria killed Druze leader Walid Eido, today in a car bomg. He was the seventh opponent of Damascus to be killed in two years in this conflict-ridden country.

During your trip to Sudan this summer, perhaps you can stop off at the campuses in Cairo or Algiers to lecture the fuck ups that flunked out of college to focus on their own dysfunctionality… It’s much closer to home…

You ARE going to Sudan aren’t you Lixy?

[quote]Tokoya wrote:
Anyway, last time I checked Hamas was throwing their rivals (Fatah) off of buildings, and murdering innocents and committing acts of violence and terror in the service of their brand of Islamic supremacism.
[/quote]

Ah, but it’s Israel and the USA’s fault for this. Right lixy?

Am I learning how to play this game like you yet? I’ll keep working on it.