US Shelves Europe Missile Plans

[quote]Jeff R wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
hedo wrote:

None of that is very good. The real issue for an aggressor is hitting somebody like the Russians or Israeli’s. Not much doubt what there response would be, thus making retaliation an effective deterrent.

Right. Where NK has long range missles, and where Iran now has the bomb, and where Russia is working with our enemies…that all constitutes us weakening our poisition in the world stage. After all people, it’s 1,000 miles away, and Healthcare and Cap and Tax are the real issues.

Good god we definately have lost here.

If I wanted to single hanfdedly demolish the US power, economy and society, I’d be doing exactly what Obama is doing. Way to go CHANGE!

After a while, you do wonder if only the Right reads history books.

Let me sum it up for everyone: It only matters what one person thinks. That person is V. Putin.

It doesn’t matter if it was a good idea to begin with.

It was there, obama removed it without any tangible quid pro quo, and V. Putin won.

He sees this as weakness. Doesn’t matter if he SHOULD. Doesn’t matter if you WOULD.

We lost today and Putin will be on the prowl.

Just wait.

JeffR
[/quote]

Putin isn’t in any of the history books yet.

The funniest part of this is that Obama followed the unanimous recommendation of Gates and the Joint Chiefs to scrap this poorly designed piece of shit give-away to the defense industry, and yet if he’d have ignored their advice and proceeded with the system, the same pack of screaming jackasses would be just as loudly condemning him for that.

Mark that day in the calendar - almost all of us here on PWI, from both (or all four) sides, seem to agree for once that this is rather a good thing. Is there a god after all? :wink:

Makkun

PS: Oh, hi JeffR - haven’t seen you in a long time. Not that I missed you… :wink:

Welcome back, JeffRo.

I was starting to miss your particular brand of stupidity around here, but Rockhead, pusshy and several others have been trying hard to make up for it.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
I’m happy that this occurred. From my understanding, missile defense systems are a waste of money as all they cause is a form of escalation on the other side. The only “defensive” measures we need are good relations with our neighbors and possibly a small number of offensive weapons we can deploy from home.[/quote]

I do hereby request that I be shot at dawn if ever I get this lost.

Not a moment too soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090918/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iran_nuclear

for Iran.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Not a moment too soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090918/ap_on_re_eu/eu_iran_nuclear

for Iran.[/quote]

Apparently you didn’t hear Gibbs today.

Now enters Isreal.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Now enters Isreal.[/quote]

That was my thought, seems to me like we are just going to let Israel clean up this mess.

[quote]tme wrote:
Welcome back, JeffRo.

I was starting to miss your particular brand of stupidity around here, but Rockhead, pusshy and several others have been trying hard to make up for it.

[/quote]

Thanks, tme!!!

I’m glad my Righteous brothers have been taking care of business. You, like mold, have to be kept at bay.

[quote]makkun wrote:
Mark that day in the calendar - almost all of us here on PWI, from both (or all four) sides, seem to agree for once that this is rather a good thing. Is there a god after all? :wink:

Makkun

PS: Oh, hi JeffR - haven’t seen you in a long time. Not that I missed you… ;-)[/quote]

Hey, Makkun. Thanks for the “warm” welcome!!!

In all seriousness, aren’t you even slightly worried about the message this sends to Putin? You and I don’t usually agree on things, but, I know you think through issues.

It’s ironic that I’ve been reading about chamberlin this week. I see plenty of ol’ neville in obama.

Worse, I’ll bet Putin would agree.

To make it worse, obama does this on the 70th anniversary of the soviet invasion of Poland. Further, the u.n. finally decides that iran can build a nuclear weapon. Then our brain damaged Vice President announces, “iran is not a threat.”

Imagine the glee in moscow and tehran.

You can’t really tell me they respect the guy MORE.

They are laughing their ass off and looking for ways to exploit neville II.

JeffR

Sounds to me like Eastern Europe needs to squeeze it’s own citizens for missile defense monies. When did these defense-welfare queens become states of the US?

Putin is happy, but is now requesting that Obama eliminate trade barriers between US and Russia.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i0xBv8YQwWSZqAQgjd42RCvU1uEAD9APM6E00

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Sounds to me like Eastern Europe needs to squeeze it’s own citizens for missile defense monies. When did these defense-welfare queens become states of the US?[/quote]

I agree Sloth. However, the missile defense system was put in place. obama removed them under russian pressure.

The damage has been done.

In your scenario, obama should have made it public that we will be training the allies to take over the maintenance/upkeep/enhancements to the Europeans “Now that they have been trained adequately.”

You don’t just CAVE.

Amateurish. Appeasment. Weakness. Emboldening putin.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Putin is happy, but is now requesting that Obama eliminate trade barriers between US and Russia.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i0xBv8YQwWSZqAQgjd42RCvU1uEAD9APM6E00

[/quote]

Well, that didn’t take long.

Hey, tme, are you paying attention?

Give a putin an inch and he’ll demand a mile.

Keep an eye on the former soviet Republics.

It’s so sad that people don’t read their history.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
BackInAction wrote:
I’m happy that this occurred. From my understanding, missile defense systems are a waste of money as all they cause is a form of escalation on the other side. The only “defensive” measures we need are good relations with our neighbors and possibly a small number of offensive weapons we can deploy from home.

I do hereby request that I be shot at dawn if ever I get this lost.[/quote]

Care to explain?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

This sums it up pretty well for me:

P.S. I didn’t look up the author/his voting record/his personal life. If he’s an Arch-Conservative, I don’t really care. I agree with the premise. So no liberal attacking the messenger.

Tiribulus wrote:
BackInAction wrote:
I’m happy that this occurred. From my understanding, missile defense systems are a waste of money as all they cause is a form of escalation on the other side. The only “defensive” measures we need are good relations with our neighbors and possibly a small number of offensive weapons we can deploy from home.

Care to explain?[/quote]

Just so I can explain my point in case you don’t get to this:

Missile defense systems are a waste of money. The reason being is that once they are built, they put pressure on the other side to develop a system that can penetrate it. This causes two things: 1) Puts two countries in a continual tech race that wastes money 2) Hurts relations considerably.

A better solution in my opinion would be to, first, promote better diplomatic relations with other countries as most problems in the world can be resolved without military action. And second, have a open policy on retaliation if any attacks are conducted against your country (this includes full use of nuclear weapons).

You have to realize that most of this spending on missile defense is a waste of money. It will never be used (against intercontinental weapons) because of the threat of retaliatory strikes.

Tiribulus wrote:
BackInAction wrote:

Care to explain?[/quote]

Your utopian fantasy is very loudly scoffed at by the whole of recorded history.

[quote]Jeff R wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

Well, that didn’t take long.

Hey, tme, are you paying attention?

Give a putin an inch and he’ll demand a mile.

Keep an eye on the former soviet Republics.

It’s so sad that people don’t read their history.

[/quote]

Sorry, I always forget the “evil empire” bullshit dogma that you still live by. Thought we had moved on to other bad guys that we have to hate and not talk to now. My bad.