T Nation

US Opposes G8 Climate Proposals

Once more, the US is totally isolated by rejecting international consensus.

The US appears to have rejected draft proposals by Germany for G8 members to agree tough measures in greenhouse gas emissions, leaked documents have shown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6694227.stm

How come the world’s richest country and leading fossile fuel burner is still reluctant to make minor sacrifices to temper the allegedely upcoming crisis? Shouldn’t the nation that’s polluted more than all the others have some kind of moral responsibility?

[quote]lixy wrote:

The US appears to have rejected draft proposals by Germany for G8 members to agree tough measures in greenhouse gas emissions, leaked documents have shown.

How come the world’s richest country and leading fossile fuel burner is still reluctant to make minor sacrifices to temper the allegedely upcoming crisis? Shouldn’t the nation that’s polluted more than all the others have some kind of moral responsibility?[/quote]

How many country’s have rejected it. And may I please ask you too look at those country’s.

[quote]John S. wrote:
How many country’s have rejected it. And may I please ask you too look at those country’s.[/quote]

Enlighten us.

My take. The US will invent the most efficient and effective means to achieve the same goals. Then, we’ll sell it to nations who’ve over-burdened their economies with standards many could not achieve.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
My take. The US will invent the most efficient and effective means to achieve the same goals. Then, we’ll sell it to nations who’ve over-burdened their economies with standards many could not achieve. [/quote]

Are you willing to bet any money on that?

My take, the US will continue to dodge it’s responsibility and will continue to be the greatest polluter on the planet, and the discrepancy will increase as other countries will start to clean up their act.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/policies/kyoto_arguments.shtml

according to this article, there are 20 nations involved with this, the US, Australia and Canada all refused to sign it.

I think we have a valid point. What about up and coming nations which pollute the air? What about China? Did they sign it or not. Are they even involved with this treaty?

All I hear about is how US industry is economically challenged because of EPA regulations. China can export here cheaper, pay for no eviromentally protective regulations, and put our workers out of work.

Does anyone agree with this or not?

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/policies/kyoto_arguments.shtml

according to this article, there are 20 nations involved with this, the US, Australia and Canada all refused to sign it. [/quote]

From your own link: “June 2002 - Australia says it will not ratify the Protocol until the USA does”

Canada never refused to sign the protocol. A few months ago, the government weaseled out of his obligations, but by any standard, they’ll be back on track before the end of the year thanks to bill C-288. I’m sure some Canadian might fill in here as I’m not following the devellopment of the affair.

So, until you think that there are still too many species on the planet, or that the rainforest is overhyped (origin of timber, anyone?), keep on doing what you do best and pray for a miracle.

Most nations hae no intention of meeting any of the outlined goals.

Once upon a time, there was a vast amount of reptiles inhabiting the Earth. This was due to an average global temperature far higher than today. It was the only way in which they survived, being cold blooded. The Earth was also heavily covered in plant life and less land mass.

You see, the Earth has been warmer before, and it thrived.

You should be concerned with pollution. It directly affects health, quality of life and it’s subsequent economics. When companies find that their benefits payments drop due to cleaner environments in which their employees live, then there will be a push from them as well as the Insurance Industry to clean things up.

Global warming is a joke. It’s like worrying the Sun will warm the Earth during day cycles. Wait a second… :wink:

[quote]lixy wrote:

So, until you think that there are still too many species on the planet, or that the rainforest is overhyped (origin of timber, anyone?), keep on doing what you do best and pray for a miracle.[/quote]

Yeah, we should stop cutting down our rainforests here in the US. Good point.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:

So, until you think that there are still too many species on the planet, or that the rainforest is overhyped (origin of timber, anyone?), keep on doing what you do best and pray for a miracle.

Yeah, we should stop cutting down our rainforests here in the US. Good point.[/quote]

Well, you could stop buying and usng the wood from the rainforests. Hey, just a thought.

Are you that stupid, or are you just pretending to be that stupid?

I’m thinking a refresher on who exactly is in the G8 is needed for some of you folks.
[i]
Which countries make up the G8?

The G8 is made up of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.[/i]

Any more brilliant questions?

Unfortunately, the Harper government has been trying to lip sync inself to the policies of the US. Canada doesn’t generally stray too far from the US, but it’s much more noticeable when we have our own conservatives in the house.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Shouldn’t the nation that’s polluted more than all the others have some kind of moral responsibility?[/quote]

We will, starting in about 602 days from now. Until then it’s smoke 'em if you got 'em, I’m afraid.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Gkhan wrote:
lixy wrote:

Yeah, we should stop cutting down our rainforests here in the US. Good point.

Well, you could stop buying and usng the wood from the rainforests. Hey, just a thought.

Are you that stupid, or are you just pretending to be that stupid?[/quote]

Using wood from the rain forests? Are you really that dumb?

I think you do not have a clue as to why the rain forests are being slashed and burned.

This article might give you some insight that there’s a lot more to rain forest deforestation than the US buying lumber.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
My take. The US will invent the most efficient and effective means to achieve the same goals. Then, we’ll sell it to nations who’ve over-burdened their economies with standards many could not achieve. [/quote]

Don’t hold your breath.

If you really want to look at progress into that kind of thing… look towards Japan. Not the US.

Don’t be so full of yourself you yank. There’s more than just your country on this planet. Progress happens elsewhere too.

[quote]lixy wrote:

How come the world’s richest country and leading fossile fuel burner is still reluctant to make minor sacrifices to temper the allegedely upcoming crisis? Shouldn’t the nation that’s polluted more than all the others have some kind of moral responsibility?[/quote]

So when will Sweden adopt US emission standards that are as strict as the US for cars and industry?

[quote]unbending wrote:
Sloth wrote:
My take. The US will invent the most efficient and effective means to achieve the same goals. Then, we’ll sell it to nations who’ve over-burdened their economies with standards many could not achieve.

Don’t hold your breath.

If you really want to look at progress into that kind of thing… look towards Japan. Not the US.

Don’t be so full of yourself you yank. There’s more than just your country on this planet. Progress happens elsewhere too.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but how am I full of myself? Was what I wrote truly that offensive to you? You seem rather thin skinned.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
I’m sorry, but how am I full of myself? Was what I wrote truly that offensive to you? You seem rather thin skinned.[/quote]

Not everybody has realized yet that the US is the best at everything and anything and can do no wrong. They’ll catch on eventually though… the ingrates.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Sloth wrote:
I’m sorry, but how am I full of myself? Was what I wrote truly that offensive to you? You seem rather thin skinned.

Not everybody has realized yet that the US is the best at everything and anything and can do no wrong. They’ll catch on eventually though… the ingrates.[/quote]

Ah, but are you two reading too much into my response? I simply believe the US will pioneer methods (or perfect the application of) that will achieve similar standards without unduly bogging down our industry. Perhaps I can’t be blamed for others’ sensitivity? I’m be awaiting the distortion of this post now.

Oh, and I suppose we could look at an older alternative, Nuclear Energy. But, some of the paranoia would have to be dealt with.