US/Mexican Border, Insufficient Security

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Legalize pot and shoot the cocaine smugglers and dealers and the problem will go away.[/quote]

Not a bad prescription.

[quote]BigPaul wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
I’m not sure how to tell Vicente Fox how to go fuck himself in spanish, but Bush does, and that’s exactly what he should do.

Ve te a la chingada Presidente Fox (this is the one of many variants of the phrase I learned growing up).

I don’t know if our president actually does know how to say this in Spanish though, have you heard him attempt to speak spanish briefly in some of his speeches? But this is neither here nor there, there are plenty of translators in the white house who could help out, and I don’t doubt that Fox knows enough english to understand a good old fashioned fuck you.

[/quote}
The US needs to seriously reevaluate our relationship w/r/t Mexico.

Sadly, I doubt this will ever happen given the structure of our country’s international trade at this point in time.[/quote]

I think the problem is much more one of domestic politics than international trade. Bush and the GOP have finally found a minority group (the fastest growing one too) that will vote for them, and they will do everything possible not to alienate them. The Democrats are even worse of course. I think fears about illegal immigration are overblown, and a lot of that is attributable to racism. But if you’re a sovereign nation you have to make some effort to secure your borders.

[quote]buffballswell wrote:
Place some American manufacturing companies south of the border, cheap labor =cheaper products for American consumption=less Mexicans crossing the border.

Chingada[/quote]

RCA,Dodge,and alot of Harleys components have been made south of the border for several years and i am sure there are other products that i am not aware of being made there.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
masterblaster wrote:
The latest regarding this issue: Mexico’s foreign relations secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez insinuated that the military garb clad individuals (with 50 caliber guns on Hummers) who confronted the US Sheriff in Hudsepth County Texas as drugs were being crossed into the US were actually US Military service men assigned to protect the drug runners. The sheriff, Alvin West responded “The guy just confirmed that he is a complete idiot”; “There’s no doubt about it, it was the Mexican military”.

This is par for the course over here on the US/Mexican border; these are the issues and problems we face DAILY.

Again, I believe our govt has to take on a much more aggressive stance toward the Mexican govt and their shananigins.

MB

You’re damn right we do.

[/quote]
I get sick of hearing all the B.S. about Homeland security when its common knowledge how our southern border is unprotected.Hell with the millions Osama has,Im sure he could buy his way right up through mexico with some WMDs.I live in the Ohio,Indiana ,Kentucky area and for the last few yrs.

we have been having a growing crime rate with illegals.Big jump in the kidnap and rape cases,then the criminals usually have 4 or 5 alias and they dont catch them .the just move either back south or another part of the country.This all costs more state and local dollars to try to catch and house them in jail.

Not to mention Ive had a few friends have car wrecks with illegals,no license or insurance,eventually our insurance rates will rise to cover the costs.
Also our school systems have to hire interpreters for the children and free lunch programs etc.Plus hard telling how many of them are getting welfare benefits under their different aliases.

Pull all conventional forces back home and put them on the BORDERS (plural). Let SOCOM and the intelligence community deal with the world wide issues. Use our Air Superiority to target the Mexican army’s “Armed Reconnaissance Missions” onto our soil. When questioned about JDAM-ing their drug running generals into the eternal red mist, call a spade a spade. Tell the Mexican Government and the world that we were reacting to an armed invasion on U.S. soil.

Either that or start arming the Minutemen with heavier weapons, munitions, support and put them on the payroll. That’s how we helped the Afghanis get rid of the Russians in the eighties.

A really good article detailing some of the threats our nation faces daily. It’s not getting any better and we need to do something about it now.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/columnists/zito/s_417921.html

Down on the border

By Salena Zito
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 29, 2006

If you ever happen to tag along with the Border Patrol after dark along the El Paso County, Texas, line and Mexico, be proficient in acronyms. And bring your night-vision paraphernalia.
Because once you are at the border, you are briefed about OTMs, MS-13s and SIAs. And you’re warned that no lights are allowed since it sort of draws unwanted attention from the federales, armed men with anger issues.

For the acronym-deficient:

An OTM is an illegal immigrant whose background is Other Than Mexican.

The MS-13s are El Salvadorian gang members with the MS, meaning Mara Salvatrucha. Mara stands for “gang” and Salvatrucha is Spanish slang for being alert, vigilant and ready. The 13 comes from the Los Angeles area and demonstrates an alliance with the Mexican mafia, a brutal prison gang.

Finally there are the SIAs (Special Interest Aliens), foreign nationals from countries with a known al-Qaida presence.
Describing them is the easy part; dissecting their intentions is another story.

I got a firsthand look at the comings and goings along the Texas-Mexico border on a recent drive-by viewing with the Texas Border Patrol. Border security is an easy policy issue that cannot rationally be attacked.

This is not “Houston, we’ve got a problem”; this is a regional occurrence with a national impact.

Texas currently is a gateway for MS-13 into the United States, although their final destination is not always Texas. They are spread throughout the United States. Law enforcement has to deal with them in places like Virginia and our nation’s capital. They follow a simple model – migrate to where you already have a foothold.

The OTMs and SIAs are watered-down versions of the MS-13s in terms of known violence. Their mystery is shrouded in their intent.

The only other illegals left who come en masse and sans acronyms are Mexicans. But don’t look for the Mexican government to offer a solution. Neither will you find President Vicente Fox standing at the border shouting to the Americans to “let my people go.”

Fox’s policy is “see you later.” For Fox, immigration is economic development; the largest single source of income in his country comes from Mexicans living in the United States sending cash home. Illegal immigration exorcises his political demons – abysmal poverty and a languishing market.

Yes, standing at the border watching the illegals through night-vision goggles confirms that this is a complex problem with no simple solutions.

No question, there need to be additional Border Patrol agents. But it takes time to recruit, train, equip and field them. All of which comes with a price tag that too many elected officials seem unwilling to cover.

Have they forgotten the latest little audio tape that Osama bin Laden had delivered by donkey?

Mexican human smuggling organizations can charge individuals from Middle Eastern countries $25,000 for safe passage into the United States. And none of these troublemakers are the good guys – members of al-Qaida, MS-13s, OTMs and SIAs all have shady intent.

The threat to our national security and way of life is real and the threat is urgent. It is out there, somewhere in the heartland. What happens at the border never stays at the border. And it may very well be coming to a neighborhood near you.

Just like prohibition the federal Government is driving up the price of marijuana it is probably close to the price of gold. And you can grow it fast and easy. Sounds like an Idea situation for organized crime

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Just like prohibition the federal Government is driving up the price of marijuana it is probably close to the price of gold. And you can grow it fast and easy. Sounds like an Idea situation for organized crime[/quote]

I agree 100%

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
Just like prohibition the federal Government is driving up the price of marijuana it is probably close to the price of gold. And you can grow it fast and easy. Sounds like an Idea situation for organized crime

I agree 100%[/quote]

Including marijuana in the war on drugs is a huge mistake.

It is time to legalize it. Unfortunately I don’t think it is going to happen.

Border incursions rattling Arizonans
Incident near Arivaca involved copter

Susan Carroll
Arizona Republic Tucson Bureau
Feb. 3, 2006 12:00 AM

ARIVACA R.D. Ayers remembers hearing the heavy whirl and chop of helicopter blades cutting through the sky above the Tres Bellotas Ranch, a sprawling swath of oak trees and barberry brush right on the U.S.-Mexican border.

Even from inside the ranch house, Ayers could tell it must be a big helicopter. He headed outside, thinking it might be U.S. customs, maybe a drug bust.

Instead, Ayers walked right into a group of armed, masked men speaking Spanish and dressed like agents from the Federal Investigative Agency, Mexico’s FBI. advertisement

The encounter on U.S. soil would be investigated by the FBI, U.S. Border Patrol and Mexican authorities, one of the latest in a long list of suspected incursions from Mexico into U.S. border states.

After long downplaying the number of incursions along the Southwestern border, top Border Patrol officials now acknowledge such incidents are all too common. Over the past decade, the Department of Homeland Security has reported 231 incursions along the border, including 63 in Arizona. Homeland Security defines an incursion as an unauthorized crossing by Mexican military or police, or suspected drug or people smugglers dressed in uniforms.

Incursions gained international attention after the Sheriff’s Office in Hudspeth County, Texas, reported on Jan. 23 that men dressed as members of the Mexican military provided cover for drug runners near the Rio Grande.

At a news conference Jan. 26, Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar said that although the number has decreased in recent years, incursions are “a tremendous problem that needs to be addressed.”

Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl called for an investigation into the Texas incident and others along the border, asking Homeland Security how it handles incursions. Kyl intends to hold hearings on incursions starting March 1 with Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

The growing controversy led to angry denials from officials at the top levels of the Mexican government and strained relations between Washington and Mexico City.

U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Tony Garza said the Texas incident is part of increased drug violence along the border that “highlights the inability of the Mexican government to police its own communities south of the border.”

Mexico, meanwhile, says drug smugglers often wear military fatigues to disguise themselves.

On the border
Ayers lives in Arivaca, a small southern Arizona town about 11 miles north of the Arizona-Mexico border. A former EMT, Ayers, 49, is now a backhoe operator who dabbles in the local community theater. He says that after his encounter, the FBI and Border Patrol conducted a brief interview, but that he has heard nothing else about his story.

Ayers gives this account: On the morning of April 22, he rode his ATV down from Arivaca to the Tres Bellotas Ranch. The ranch is owned by the local veterinarian, Lyle Robinson, who was taking care of Ayers’ dog.

The veterinarian had to head into town for a few hours for a clinic but left Ayers there.

At 11:30 a.m., Ayers heard the helicopter. From his days as an EMT, he thought it sounded like a pretty big helicopter, unusual out this way. He headed out to see. Outside, he looked up and saw a big black Huey helicopter circle and touch down. He also saw a Tucson Fuel Co. truck had just arrived to fill up the Robinsons’ tanks.

“That helicopter, I mean, it didn’t even look like it was 40 feet over that truck,” he said.

Ayers, who speaks limited Spanish, said he stood between the truck and the helicopter.

“When I approached them, I saw on their sleeves it said, ‘Mexico.’ There were five of them. They were fully clad, with masks over their faces. They had helmets on and body armor and were all carrying rifles,” he said. “I told them they were in the United States and they had no business here and to go back home.”

Ayers said the men held him at gunpoint as the leader kept asking about the truck and finally ordered everyone back into the helicopter and flew away.

Ayers said the men’s uniforms said “AFI” on the back in big letters, but he thought they could also be drug smugglers.

“I think they were interested in the tanker,” he said. “I believe they were going to take the truck across the border, dump the fuel. Shoot, you could put 20,000 pounds of marijuana in there or 20,000 pounds of cocaine.”

The Federal Investigative Agency, or AFI, was created by President Vicente Fox’s government to investigate drug smuggling and other federal crimes. During raids, AFI agents usually wear paramilitary uniforms, carry heavy weapons and wear masks so that drug traffickers cannot identify them.

The agency has five Huey helicopters based in Sonora state, according to a 2005 U.S. State Department report. All were donated by the U.S. government.

It is unclear what the agents may have been doing along the border on April 22, but news releases from the Mexican Justice Department show AFI was involved in raids in nearby Nogales, Sonora that week.

After the men in the helicopter took off, Ayers tried to call for help with his cellphone but could not get a signal. The Tres Bellotas Ranch has no telephone lines. The tanker driver was able to call authorities from a nearby ranch. Ayers said he waited several hours and then, when no one came, he headed home.

When Ayers got home, there was a message on his machine from an FBI agent. He asked Ayers to call back. When Ayers did, the agent took a report on what he saw at Tres Bellotas.

The investigation
Gus Soto, a Border Patrol Agent and spokesman, confirmed there was an investigation into the suspected incursion but said there were “conflicting reports” about what happened from the witnesses.

The tanker driver, contacted by The Republic, declined to be interviewed for this story. The FBI declined to comment.

A spokeswoman for the Mexican Justice Department said officials there had no record of the border crossing and could not comment on Ayers’ report.

At the Jan. 26 news conference in Nogales, Aguilar said incursions are a “very, very high concern to us; there is no question in our minds that we have a problem.”

Although federal agents stressed that they take each report seriously, they were careful to say that some seemed to be unintentional. Aguilar said the incursions have gone both ways, confirming reports that Border Patrol agents had strayed into Mexico.

Back in Arivaca, Ayers is still waiting to hear from the Border Patrol or the FBI agent who interviewed him…

“I’m really shocked that our government would even allow something like this and be so passe about it,” Ayers said. "I mean, these guys had loaded weapons, cocked (and) aimed at me on this side of the border.

“My biggest concern in all this, to tell the truth . . . is that our president says we’re in the middle of a terrorist war. And our government says they’ve got some kind of control on (the border). These people can come across so easy it’s pathetic.”

Mexico City reporter Chris Hawley contributed to this article.

Why do we have such and ‘open’ border with Mexico?

The answer to that question is that same as the answer to this question:

Who benefits from having and ‘open’ boarder with Mexico?

Cheers!

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Why do we have such and ‘open’ border with Mexico?

The answer to that question is that same as the answer to this question:

Who benefits from having and ‘open’ boarder with Mexico?

Cheers![/quote]

Why do we have an open border with Canada?

Who benefits from having an open border with Canada?

For the short history of our country we have always had open borders.

It is not an evil political plot.

You are barking up the wrong tree Marmadogg.

Nuevo Laredo Mexico?s News Paper is going to cease all articles on Narco Gangs due to the assault on their news paper office.