T Nation

US Gives Egypt F 16 Jets

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2013/January/US-Gives-F-16-Jets-to-Egypt-Despite-Morsi-Flap/

Why did we do this?? I cannot understand any reason for this.

JB can certainly give much better insights on this than I can…but if I understand something he posted once, the Egyptian Military ultimately “runs” things and are much more likely to provide some sense of RELATIVE stability to Egypt.

It seems as though the Military (whom these Jets and Tanks will go to) holds the key to keeping the Jihadist/Islamist in check (in addition to the people who are not buying what they are selling).

Again…JB most likely has better insights.

Mufasa

And no…it is NOT because the President is Anti-Israel…

Mufasa

But I thought the leader of Egypt controls the army and I’ve read he is very extreme.

He is extreme…but he doesn’t control the Military.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
JB can certainly give much better insights on this than I can…but if I understand something he posted once, the Egyptian Military ultimately “runs” things and are much more likely to provide some sense of RELATIVE stability to Egypt.

It seems as though the Military (whom these Jets and Tanks will go to) holds the key to keeping the Jihadist/Islamist in check (in addition to the people who are not buying what they are selling).

Again…JB most likely has better insights.

Mufasa

[/quote]

Yep
except all this story about the antagoism between “the military” and “the religious” is dangerously outdated.

It was (maybe) a reality decades ago, while “secular” influences like ba’athism, nasserism and, well, marxism were strong. But it’s not the case anymore. Khadafi and Saddam were the last ones.

Now, “the military” is largely composed of people who weren’t born during the decolonization era, who were never attended a western school and do not know how to spell “panarabism” nor “nationalism”.

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
JB can certainly give much better insights on this than I can…but if I understand something he posted once, the Egyptian Military ultimately “runs” things and are much more likely to provide some sense of RELATIVE stability to Egypt.

It seems as though the Military (whom these Jets and Tanks will go to) holds the key to keeping the Jihadist/Islamist in check (in addition to the people who are not buying what they are selling).

Again…JB most likely has better insights.

Mufasa

[/quote]

Yep
except all this story about the antagoism between “the military” and “the religious” is dangerously outdated.

It was (maybe) a reality decades ago, while “secular” influences like ba’athism, nasserism and, well, marxism were strong. But it’s not the case anymore. Khadafi and Saddam were the last ones.

Now, “the military” is largely composed of people who weren’t born during the decolonization era, who were never attended a western school and do not know how to spell “panarabism” nor “nationalism”.
[/quote]

Morsi and the Brotherhood effectively staged a coup in August last year purging the upper echelons of the Egyptian military.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
And no…it is NOT because the President is Anti-Israel…

Mufasa[/quote]

Of course not! What a silly notion![/quote]

It is a silly notion.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
And no…it is NOT because the President is Anti-Israel…

Mufasa[/quote]

Of course not! What a silly notion![/quote]

It is a silly notion.

Mufasa[/quote]

Indeed it is, and Morsi’s relationship with Israel is more complicated than “pro” or “anti.”

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
And no…it is NOT because the President is Anti-Israel…

Mufasa[/quote]

Of course not! What a silly notion![/quote]

It is a silly notion.

Mufasa[/quote]

Now, I was never one to understand the politics of the Pentagon, now know the palace intrigue, I have to admit being disturbed by who Obama is promoting within the upper ranks.

Basically guys who would attack Israel or even US citizens. Real boot-lickers.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Indeed it is, and Morsi’s relationship with Israel is more complicated than “pro” or “anti.” [/quote]

http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/01/25/beyond-apes-and-pigs-ten-morsi-quotes-that-tell-all/

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Indeed it is, and Morsi’s relationship with Israel is more complicated than “pro” or “anti.” [/quote]

http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/01/25/beyond-apes-and-pigs-ten-morsi-quotes-that-tell-all/

[/quote]

Indeed, which is why I used the term “complicated,” or has the FJP rescinded its promise to honor the Egyptian-Israeli Peace Treaty?

It really just comes down to politics. If the United States wants Egypt’s support on anything it comes with a price, the price is an aid package. There’s also the reality of Egypt getting jets and tanks regardless of whether they’re from this nation or another nation, they want it to be American product because then American companies can make money off of it. American companies also put the money up to have politicians facilitate these aid packages so any long term risk isn’t something put into consideration, the defense industry has a lot of money to throw around too.

Personally, I’m not bothered by these aid packages. No nation in that area is a true ally to us besides Israel and how effective those tanks or jets are also depends entirely on training. Let’s say Egypt does make the decision put them to use, I don’t doubt Israel’s ability to handle it. I’m sure most Western nations would offer support in some way too. Stuff like this can often be a necessary evil for the United States to protect its interests.


.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
…has the FJP rescinded its promise to honor the Egyptian-Israeli Peace Treaty?[/quote]

Did Hitler rescind his promise not to invade Czechoslovakia?

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
And no…it is NOT because the President is Anti-Israel…

Mufasa[/quote]

Of course not! What a silly notion![/quote]

It is a silly notion.

Mufasa[/quote]

Indeed it is…[/quote]

Absolutely. I mean just because Obama’s administration is filled with Muslim Brotherhood spies…

…and just because it seems like he’s trying to force Israel into unilateral concessions whilst arming Fatah…

…and just because he put pressure on Israel not to strike Iranian nuclear facilities…

…the real reason he toppled Mubarak, supported the Muslim Brotherhood and ignored the Iranian spring was…

…well, we don’t know the real reason. He must’ve had a good one because it’s a “silly notion” to suggest Obama might be hostile to the nation of Israel…just silly. After all, everyone on the left supports Israel don’t they?

A January 2009 Pew Research Center study found that, when asked “which side do you sympathize with more”, 42% of Democrats and 33% of liberals (a plurality in both groups) sympathize most with the Israelis.

Hey wait. You think Obama might be a Democrat and a liberal? Maybe even further to the left than that? What a silly notion!

Sexmachine–Mufasa and I said it was silly to think that Egypt, which has been receiving billions in military aid from the United States for years since 1979, is suddenly getting some F-16s because of a mutual hostility to Israel.

Major military aid to Egypt, in fact, has its origin in the '79 treaty with…wait for it…Israel.

So, yeah, that is a fatuous and historically ignorant position.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Sexmachine–Mufasa and I said it was silly to think that Egypt, which has been receiving billions in military aid from the United States for years since 1979, is suddenly getting some F-16s because of a mutual hostility to Israel.

Major military aid to Egypt, in fact, has its origin in the '79 treaty with…wait for it…Israel.

So, yeah, that is a fatuous and historically ignorant position.[/quote]

Perhaps, but given the current instability of the country and it’s more militant leanings, giving them high tech weaponry at this point seems to be a bit foolish. It could be benign, but I wouldn’t take my chances until we know how it’s going to shake out and that they will in fact honor the Israeli peace treaties, without exception. I don’t think we know that for sure right now.