US Embassy Cables Leak Sparks Crisis

I read some of the things that got released. Nothing surprising at all really.

The US spies on its allies.
Russia is still run by Putin.
There is corruption at the EU at the highest levels.
Israel never keeps its promises.
Saudi Arabia wanted U.S. to invade Iran (Price of oil would skyrocket, so would demand for dollars, Saudi Arabia is holding alot of dollars)

…wow what a shock.

[quote]koffea wrote:

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
It’s very hard not to justify it.

On an individual level, transparency is screwing everyone harder then ever, thanks to technology and certain political ideas du jour.
But satan forbid it targets the structural mafia that we call politics!
Aren’t they supposed to anwer to us?

In my utopia, government is the model for transparent decisions and the shining opposite of secret policy.

There is NO intellectual and moral basis for defending governmental secrecy.

p.s. lol@ wikileaks was cool, but now it’s kinda antiamerican and mean.
[/quote]

really none? how about the Allies use of secrecy in policy during WWII. I suppose that you would argue that the manhatten project updates be sent directly to all parties in the war, both axis and allies? Announce D-Day months in advance? gotta keep things transparent after all even if your opponent wont.

transparency in diplomacy most often results in gridlock. transparency in industry often leads to collusion. transparency in strategy allows your opponents to come up with effective counter strategies that you will not have the same access too. lastly, transparency does not keep people from jumping to conclusions. in fact transparency often causes people to jump to conclusions simply because they dont want to wade through all the facts.

i agree that we need more transparency here in the US, but blanket transparency is unwise at best.[/quote]

War, and especially tactical operation is, without saying (!), an altogether different case.
However, the bs war angst that is invoked every day by western leaders is not.
Nobody argues for backstabbin fighting troops here.

Real war means a caesura for everyday politics.

The phoney war “against terror” we have right now is EXACTLY the kind of cover big government uses just to push through major league bs. It doesn’t end or makes anybody safer, but works busily to obfuscate it’s own shady agendas while exposing citizens and trampling their rights.

So, again: real, everyday politics can be transparent as day.
If you pretend you live in an undefined state of war, you better get yourself a better gov.

The chinese can know we have a problem with their idea of human rights, just as the turks can know we think of them as a mafia state.
As if Putin/Berlusconi didn’t know or give a shit about diplomats spreading rumours how he’s screwing 20 year olds!
The war card is just a lame excuse.

I like my democratically elected politicians as vitreous as it gets.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Assange is going to “disappear”. The way he’s “trickling” the data is simply astoundingly stupid. He may as well as put a sign on his chest, “Kill me before I leak your secrets”. I’ll bet half of the world’s governments are fighting for the chance to take this guy out. What a clusterfuck.

The fucker that leaked this information should be hung for treason to set an example.[/quote]

some people call it differently when a small group of individuals risk their necks to fight an unjust system that is so much more powerful.

Was it freedom hater?
I think it was heerough or something like that…

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

Assange is going to “disappear”. The way he’s “trickling” the data is simply astoundingly stupid. He may as well as put a sign on his chest, “Kill me before I leak your secrets”. I’ll bet half of the world’s governments are fighting for the chance to take this guy out. What a clusterfuck.

The fucker that leaked this information should be hung for treason to set an example.[/quote]

some people call it differently when a small group of individuals risk their necks to fight an unjust system that is so much more powerful.

Was it freedom hater?
I think it was heerough or something like that…[/quote]

German info is leaked too, so which system is injust? All, some, none?

He is a pro-Iranian freak and about to be convicted rapist. Ironically, he pissed off his “freinds” as much if not more than his enemies.

I agree with Charlemagne and Angry Chicken (love the name, btw). The info really just confirms what everybody thought but couldn’t prove. China is our enemy not our ally, Iran has no friends and even their arab neighbors hate their guts. Russia is a dictatorship, and pretty much GWB’s “Axis of evil” was spot on.
Actually, if you look at it in hind sight, GWB’s whole “Axis of evil” speech was a security breech, because it outed these behind the scene facts.

[quote]Bambi wrote:

The US mighthave tolerated him a bit further but he’s now pissed off Russia, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran…

this will not end well[/quote]

Since he declared himself an enemy of the U.S. and seeks to do as much harm to us as possible, I am not going to be placing any phone calls to Amnesty International on his behalf…I agree, look for him to be dead real soon.

Info on some forthcoming items from Wikileaks: WikiLeaks plans to release a U.S. bank's documents | Reuters

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Bambi wrote:

The US mighthave tolerated him a bit further but he’s now pissed off Russia, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran…

this will not end well[/quote]

Since he declared himself an enemy of the U.S. and seeks to do as much harm to us as possible, I am not going to be placing any phone calls to Amnesty International on his behalf…I agree, look for him to be dead real soon.[/quote]

What United States?

The States?

The Government?

The people?

What kind of harm does he seek to do?

Could a any of the entities above be harmed by one thing that benefits the other?