US Embassy Cables Leak Sparks Crisis

The United States was catapulted into a worldwide diplomatic crisis today, with the leaking to the Guardian and other international media of more than 250,000 classified cables from its embassies, many sent as recently as February this year.

Are they going to leak any info from other countries or have they just singled out America?

I think the Middle East countries come out particuarly badly about this as well. Italy and Russia’s relationship is questioned as well

Wikileaks before the whole “Collateral Murder” thing was different. There was a lot more diversity in the documents that were leaked. Wikileaks - Wikileaks

Wikileaks is developing an uncensorable system for untracable mass document leaking and public analysis. Our primary interests are in Asia, the former Soviet bloc, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East, but we expect to be of assistance to peoples of all countries who wish to reveal unethical behavior in their governments and corporations.

So much for that.

I can’t blame him for that.

The other stuff though, man, that may be tough to talk around.
They’ll do it, but it won’t be easy.

It should be no surprise that rape charges have suddenly been leveled at Julian Assange.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Are they going to leak any info from other countries or have they just singled out America?[/quote]

Maybe you should read a bit about them.

i heard about how american diplomats were told (by hilary clinton - why the fuck did she sign her name on that?) to collect stuff like biometric data, finacial info etc on people in foreign governments. they probably took one look at that, laughed and used it to light a cigar

They wanted some info on a MP too, right? Not pretty.

[quote]Dijon wrote:
Wikileaks before the whole “Collateral Murder” thing was different. There was a lot more diversity in the documents that were leaked. Wikileaks - Wikileaks

Wikileaks is developing an uncensorable system for untracable mass document leaking and public analysis. Our primary interests are in Asia, the former Soviet bloc, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East, but we expect to be of assistance to peoples of all countries who wish to reveal unethical behavior in their governments and corporations.

So much for that. [/quote]

yeah when wikileaks first started I really saw them as a good organization. They had items like the enslavement of europe through the EU, and press gag orders in england, and documents that exposed corruption in churches among other things. I was ok with a lot of the stuff on the iraq war as well. but this latest deal is really hard to justify.

You’re a hypocrite if you support transparency only when it isn’t damaging to your government.

[quote]koffea wrote:

[quote]Dijon wrote:

So much for that. [/quote]

yeah when wikileaks first started I really saw them as a good organization. They had items like the enslavement of europe through the EU, and press gag orders in england, and documents that exposed corruption in churches among other things. I was ok with a lot of the stuff on the iraq war as well. but this latest deal is really hard to justify.
[/quote]

A government “by the people, foe the people, through the people”.

No, that was not hard at all.

“through the people” ???

im not against exposing corruption within the u.s. i think that people in the US need to see and read the stuff that was released on iraq. i guess i fail to see how this latest release demonstrates corruption which is the charter. The primary impact of this will result in stymied communication amongst all nations, not just the US, in a period of time when we need increased communications.

i dont think that blanket transparency in the current world is necessarily a good thing. Perhaps one day in the future, but not now.

but hey if you guys in europe dont want to read about what the EU is up too, or see how the press is being muzzled than pardon my assumption. by all means, lets put the shroud back over it all. its really none of my business.

On the contrary, I hope WikiLeaks expose the massive corruption in Brussels and continue to publish details of gagging orders and super injunctions in the UK.

It’s very hard not to justify it.

On an individual level, transparency is screwing everyone harder then ever, thanks to technology and certain political ideas du jour.
But satan forbid it targets the structural mafia that we call politics!
Aren’t they supposed to anwer to us?

In my utopia, government is the model for transparent decisions and the shining opposite of secret policy.

There is NO intellectual and moral basis for defending governmental secrecy.

p.s. lol@ wikileaks was cool, but now it’s kinda antiamerican and mean.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
[/quote]

Who said anything like that?

Assange is going to “disappear”. The way he’s “trickling” the data is simply astoundingly stupid. He may as well as put a sign on his chest, “Kill me before I leak your secrets”. I’ll bet half of the world’s governments are fighting for the chance to take this guy out. What a clusterfuck.

The fucker that leaked this information should be hung for treason to set an example.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
It’s very hard not to justify it.

On an individual level, transparency is screwing everyone harder then ever, thanks to technology and certain political ideas du jour.
But satan forbid it targets the structural mafia that we call politics!
Aren’t they supposed to anwer to us?

In my utopia, government is the model for transparent decisions and the shining opposite of secret policy.

There is NO intellectual and moral basis for defending governmental secrecy.

[/quote]

really none? how about the Allies use of secrecy in policy during WWII. I suppose that you would argue that the manhatten project updates be sent directly to all parties in the war, both axis and allies? Announce D-Day months in advance? gotta keep things transparent after all even if your opponent wont.

transparency in diplomacy most often results in gridlock. transparency in industry often leads to collusion. transparency in strategy allows your opponents to come up with effective counter strategies that you will not have the same access too. lastly, transparency does not keep people from jumping to conclusions. in fact transparency often causes people to jump to conclusions simply because they dont want to wade through all the facts.

i agree that we need more transparency here in the US, but blanket transparency is unwise at best.

[quote]koffea wrote:

i agree that we need more transparency here in the US, but blanket transparency is unwise at best.[/quote]

Although, you must admit that it should be interesting to the general public how a major sponsor of international terrorism (Saudi Arabia) is lobbying hard for a strike on Iran.

Not defending Iran, just pointing out the fact that the US foreign policy shouldn’t be dictated by Israel and Saudi Arabia.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Assange is going to “disappear”. The way he’s “trickling” the data is simply astoundingly stupid. He may as well as put a sign on his chest, “Kill me before I leak your secrets”. I’ll bet half of the world’s governments are fighting for the chance to take this guy out. What a clusterfuck.

The fucker that leaked this information should be hung for treason to set an example.[/quote]

The US mighthave tolerated him a bit further but he’s now pissed off Russia, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran…

this will not end well