US Armed Services Tribute Thread

http://bigjournalism.com/myon/2010/02/26/from-canada-a-thank-you-to-u-s-service-members/

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/whispers.htm

previous post was a response to this story . . .

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
OG!

Must have been VERY early in WWII.

They are dressed more like the “Dough Boys” of WWI.

GREAT pic, though!

Mufasa[/quote]

AARRGGHH!!!

Mufasa you are right, it was WWI.

He was born in 1894.

I never knew him. He died young at 50yrs old.[/quote]

I too recognized it as WWI garb but then thought…“No, Celeste is too young to have a grandpappy that served in the Great War.”

Fabulous pic![/quote]

He was 16yrs older than my grandmother. =)

Here’s my dad as a Drill Instructor.

Had the privledge of a B-17 Flying Fortress coming through my neck of the woods last month. It was great to see again a plane similar to what my grandfather flew out of England.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3 (last one)

And just want to say thanks to all of my other family members and friends that have served with honor and pride!!

<<< Here’s my dad as a Drill Instructor. >>>[/quote]
Wow, I almost dropped to the floor and gave him 20 just looking at his picture.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
pic 3 (last one)

And just want to say thanks to all of my other family members and friends that have served with honor and pride!!

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the pics and our thanks to you (volunteer firefighter?) and your fmaily!

finally - another Av’s fan!!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Wow, I almost dropped to the floor and gave him 20 just looking at his picture.[/quote]

Definitely has that “adjustable” glare thing going - crazy how, just when you think they can’t get any mor eintense, they ratchet it up another notch

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Wow, I almost dropped to the floor and gave him 20 just looking at his picture.[/quote]

Definitely has that “adjustable” glare thing going - crazy how, just when you think they can’t get any mor eintense, they ratchet it up another notch[/quote]
Imagine seeing that over her shoulder picking her up for a date?

"Uhhhh, yessir, I’ll have her home early. In fact I’m not sure we should even leave.

I would like to honor my dad and uncles.

Cpl Able Ortega, entered the Army Infantry March 15, 1941. He served with the 192nd Tank Bn in the Philippine Islands where during the Battle of Bataan,he was wounded and imprisoned by the Japanese on the Island, Formosa, the “Hell Ships”, and Japan. He was involved in the infamous “Bataan Death March.” He also served in Korea during the Korean Conflict. He was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and CIB.

T/5 Samuel Ortega, entered the Army Cavalry Oct. 17, 1941. He served through 1945 participating in the campaigns of Rhineland and Central Europe. He was awarded two Bronze Stars and the CIB.

QM2/c Reuben Ortega, entered the Navy Nov. 24, 1942. He served through 1946 in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.

T/Sgt Benjamin Ortega, entered the Army Infantry April 21, 1943. He served through 1945 in the battles of Rome-Arno, So. France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. He was wounded during French Invasion. He was awarded four Bronze Stars, Purple Heart, and the CIB

Pfc Daniel Ortega, entered the Army Medical Corps May, 1943. He served in Europe where he paid the Supreme Sacrifice Aug 6 1944 while in combat in France. He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and the CMB.

Sgt Eliseo Ortega (my dad), entered the Army Air Corps Aug. 13, 1943. He served through 1946 in Air Offensive of Japan, Western Pacific, and Asiatic-Pacific. He was awarded two Bronze Stars.

S/SGT Edelmiro Vidaurri (brother-in-law), entered the Army Air Corps Feb. 14, 1941. He served through 1945 in the European Theater. He retired after 30 years of service

Edward Reedy (adopted), entered the Navy March 13, 1943. He served through 1946 in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.

^ much gratitude and honor to your family!!

My Grandfather, which I never met, died from a WWII related injury received during the Battle of Saint-Lo, France. The Battle of the Hedgerows. He had shrapnal (*sp) lodged in his heart. Died when my father, only child, was 11.

Thank you to all the men and women who have given their lives for our freedom, and to the families of those fallen heros thank you for your sacrifice.

BTW - I did title this US military services tribute - even if your family is not American and you’re proud of their military service, feel free to add them into the mix here.

I have a special love for the military because it was military service that gave my grandfather his citizenship and brought him over from Syria.

Thanks for sharing that with us DM! We can never honor their sacrifices enough!

Push - thanks for the battle pics. I have that book on to “to buy” list already - yours is about the hundreth recommendation for it.