T Nation

Urban HS Math Proficiency Exam

This test was devised by the Atlanta City School Board to improve test scores.

URBAN H. S. MATH PROFICIENCY EXAM

NAME:__________ ALIAS:_________ GANG:__________

1. Nicolas S. has an AK-47 with a 30 round clip. He also has a spare clip. If he misses 8 of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attend before he has to go home to pick up more ammo?
  2. Quanta has 2 oz?s of cocaine. He sells an 8-ball to the Washington family for $320 and 2 grams to Ray P. For $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he does not cut it?
  3. Patrick F. is pimping three girls for Shunte. He gets $35 each. How many tricks must each girl turn to pay for Shunte?s $300 per day crack habit?

4. Collar wants to cut her 1/2 pound of cocaine to make 20% more money. How much cutting will she need?

5. Michael W. Gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for stealing a Chevy, and $400 for a 4X4. If he has stolen 2 BMW?s and 3 Chevys, how many 4X4?s will he have to steal to make $800?
  6. Ajamu is in prison for 6 years for murder. He got $10,000 for the hit. If his common law wife spends $100 month, how much money will he have left when he gets out of jail?

Bonus: How many years will he get for killing the bitch that spent all ?his? money?
7. Kendall C. knocks up 6 girls in his gang. If there are 27 girls in his gang, what per cent of the gang did he knock-up?
8. If a can of spray paint covers 22 square feet, and the average letter is 8 feet square, how many letters can Veronica S. spray if she steals 3 full cans and finds one 1/2 full can by the Wal-Mart?

1. Monique R. can cook dinner for her 16 brothers an sisters for $16 per night. Her ?aunteeee? gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325 per month public housing rent goes up, how many children does the family have to have to cover expenses?
  2. Brian C. was arrested for dealing crack and his bail is set at $25,000. If he pays a bail bondsman 12% and runs to New Jersey, how much money will he loose by jumping bail??

I have mixed feelings about this test. I would be happy if the kids could figure out the correct answers. What would really stink would be if in addition to having all this unwholesome content, they are going to grade the damn thing so liberally that the kids only need partial credit on two or three of the questions to pass.

While we're being horribly deplorably racist here, I'd like to point out that the gangsta kids don't actually take the test themselves -- they threaten to cap Hong Lee Kwon in the dome if he doesn't do the test for them.

Every Atlanta kid knows that guns are for getting your way, and that Asians are good at math.

I don't mean to pick a fight here, but I am curious. How is this racist?

People who cry "racism" are most insecure about their relations towards other races. They project this insecurity by claiming everything to be racist.

The media has been the most influential role in perpetuating racial stereotypes because you don't often see integrated racial communities, therefore everything you've learned about a race has been through the tube or on the big screen.

Rather than racist, you can call that test "stereotypical of poor communities." Be aware of the difference between "race" and "culture."

I'm printing out and giving this test to my kids next hour!

HH

:slight_smile:

Have you ever been to Atlanta? 80% black. And poor, as well, I will definitely give you that. But rather than heckle me for being some kind of PC pussy, perhaps you guys could get out and see some of the world first.

The test was entitled "Atlanta school board..." for a reason. Go ahead... guess why.

Because Atlanta produced it?

And why the fuck did you bother bringing up racism, how do you know the poster is'nt black? Oh wait, only black people can be stereotyped against right? Fuck you guys who squabble all the time.

What I don't get is that black comedians can impersonate white people all the time and do whatever other schtick they do with it and people laugh. Buuut, you feel the need to call racism on this...you're prolly laughing in the crowd are'nt you?

And besides if it is 80% black and poor i'm sure that most can't afford $380 worth crack anyways, so the question is bunk.......

that spray paint question is kinda tough.

I sincerely hope you didn't; a teacher was fired for handing out this test to his students.

Please relax.

The test is supposed to be funny. To some people it is.

Obviously, the teacher that got fired over this "joke" might beg to differ.

And before anybody else jumps my shit about my use of the word "racist", open your eyes. The test is an obvious slam against black gangsta/rapper culture, and its pervasiveness in Atlanta.

Is it funny? Yes. Is it inappropriate? Yes, that's why it's funny. I hope I don't see any more posts whining about me properly labelling this "test" for what it is.

This is a lame imitation of an email that went around years ago. That was funny stuff.

I recall another one as well that was Latino-oriented. Tell you what...look up Mike Tyson's Ebonics Test.

As part of his parole agreement, Mike Tyson has to go back to school and finish grade five. This is Mike's Ebonics homework vocabulary assignment. He must use each new word in a sentence.

1. Catacomb
    I saw Don King at da fights the other night. Man, somebody get that cat a comb.

2. Foreclose
    If I pay alimony today, I got no money foreclose.

3. Rectum
    I had two Cadillac's, but my bitch rectum.

4. Disappointment
    My parole officer tol' me if I miss dis appointment, they gonna send me back to the joint.

5. Israel
    Tito try to sell me a Rolex. I say, "Man, it look fake." He say, "Bullshit! Is real."

6. Undermine
    There's a fine lookin' ho living in the apartment undermine.

7. Acoustic
    When I was little, my uncle bought me acoustic and took me to the pool hall.

8. Iraq
    When we got to the pool hall, I tol' my uncle, "I rack, you break."

9. Stain
    My mother-in-law stopped by and I axed her, "Do you plan on stain for dinner?"

10. Fortify
    I axed this ho on da street, "how much?" She say, "Forti fy."

11. Becoming - If I drink too much befo? sex, I becoming too quick

12. Hotel - I gave my girlfriend crabs, and the ho tel everybody.

13. Penis- I went to the doctor , he gave ma a cup and said penis.

14. Income- I just got in bed with a ho and income my wife.

Rescue workers say the stench of thousands of bodies in pakistan is unbearable to work in, Its only going to get worse now some of them are dead.

The joke was funny, but the truth does hurt. This "Rap", culture is ruining the young kids lives by giving them a false sense of hope, that if they can just stay in school until they cant take it any longer, and then leave school and go out and make a "rap" album, then they will be successful, and wont have to worry about being educated. They are foregoing there chances to make this world a better place with their minds, and instead they choose to make it a more "tolerable" place with their music, and lifestyle. The problem is, that this type of "lifestyle" only becomes a reality for the chosen few, and the rest of the kids are left for the drug dealers, and the gangbangers. The parents need to step up to the plate and make their children get their education first, and then if they want ot chose the "Rap" lifestyle, then at least they will hopefully know well enough how to manage their money, and to hopefully send a positive message to the younger kids to stay in school.

When I posted this, I was thinking about how they are going to introduce homosexuals into school books and test questions. I said Atlanta, because I live in Atlanta. I do think it is more cultural than racial; even if it is racial big deal. This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. See my other post on ?White Guilt?. Atlanta is the place to live if you are black. Most of the leadership is black and there are more opportunities here for minority business that probably any other place. It?s funny because it?s true. You don?t have the problems listed in the test outside of the inner cities, hence the word ?Urban?. You have others.

Think about all the jokes about rednecks, hicks or hillbillies. If Bubba marry?s his Aunt and they have three children how many cousins does he have? This politically correct BS has got to go. If you are dumb blond serving drinks on an airplane what I call you does not change what you are. You can?t call someone a secretary; they have to be called an administrative assistant. A police woman becomes a police person? Are you ashamed of who or what you are? You have a bigger problem if you let someone else define who you are.

I say , you have a right act or dress (providing that no crime has been committed) in a away that I think is funny and I have right to laugh and make fun of you. If you want to walk around with your pants hanging down like you crapped in them don?t get mad at me for giving you some depends undergarments.

Everything is not racially motivated (Cynthia McKinney). Don?t try to pass off your inability to speak proper English by creating a new ?language?. Regardless what you have heard, there is no such thing as reverse racism. Its just racism even if it comes from a minority.

Me Solomon Grundy

yeah, I thought that maybe I'd give it to and then remembered that there is nothing more politically correct, and spineless, than a public school administrator.

Here's an example of how they have no sense of humor. I once taught in an area close to an Indian Reservation. An announcement was given over the intercom that there was a meeting for all native Americans and then the room # and time was given. Being somewhat of a smart-ass, I polled my class. Everyone had been born in the United States. (I had Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, as well as white kids in my class.)

We all came to the conclusion that we were all "Native Americans." We all went to the meeting. When I got there, one of the people running the meeting told me that me and most of my kids weren't allowed in the meeting. I asked her if this was where the meeting for "Native Americans" was. She said yes, so I told her it was cool, we were all native Americans. She told me that only meant the Indian students.

I then remarked that she should have stated that in the first place so that any confusion might've been avoided. I took my class back to my room. Later that day, I was called into my principal's office. He said that off the record, that was the funniest thing he had seen in a while. On the record he told me if I ever pulled another stunt like that again, I would be fired.

I took it as a slam on educational fraud and lowest-common-denominator pandering foisted on urban black kids, most likely by liberal "educators". But that, of course, is racist thinking on my part. Right.