T Nation

Upset Stomach Around Workouts

Hey guys im sort of new to the supplements, but lately I have been taking 3 different things before and after my workouts. The problem is my stomach gets upset like crazy and I get real gaggy like I am going to throw up while I am working out.

I take uni-lever desicated liver tabs, I am drinking a 60gram protein shake half before workout half after with some tuna, and I am taking some generic caffeine energy pills right when i wake up.

My schedule- 7:30 wake up
8:00 eat energy pills
8:30 Eat a real food breakfast protein based (like eggs)
8:40 Take 6 tabs of the desicated liver pills
9:00 1/2 of my 60 gram protein drink
9:30-10:00 I usually get to the gym between 9:30 and 10:00

If some one could help me figure out why I am gaggy and have the upset stomach I would appreciate it, it makes working out with intensity a bitch because then I really want to puke.

Drop the nasty liver tablets and see what happens. If you want liver, eat the real thing.

If no effect, drop caffeine, too. This probably isn’t something you want to use on a daily basis anyway.

If these 2 don’t make a difference, cut out the protein powder for a couple of days.

Upon looking at your schedule further, I can’t understand why you’re drinking a protein shake 30 minutes after breakfast with your training only 30 minutes away. With your breakfast only an hour prior to training, it makes more sense to save the protein powder until after your workout.

Ok so you think maybe I am over doing the protein pre-workout? Ill try that first I will save the whole protein drink for post work out and see how that works. Then if that does nothing I will do like you said and start at the liver tabs, then the caffeine. I hope it is just to much protein right before my lift. That would make things so easy to just drink the shake afterwards

dude, caffeine on empty stomach, liver tabs, tuna, fairly large protein shake. ANY of that could be causing nausea.

Either eliminate items one by one… or eliminate all but one and work your way up.

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:
Ok so you think maybe I am over doing the protein pre-workout? Ill try that first I will save the whole protein drink for post work out and see how that works. Then if that does nothing I will do like you said and start at the liver tabs, then the caffeine. I hope it is just to much protein right before my lift. That would make things so easy to just drink the shake afterwards
[/quote]

What brand liver are you taking? How long have you taken it? Take it any other time during the day?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:
Ok so you think maybe I am over doing the protein pre-workout? Ill try that first I will save the whole protein drink for post work out and see how that works. Then if that does nothing I will do like you said and start at the liver tabs, then the caffeine. I hope it is just to much protein right before my lift. That would make things so easy to just drink the shake afterwards
[/quote]

What brand liver are you taking? How long have you taken it? Take it any other time during the day? [/quote]

It is called uni-lever I have been taking it for a week and a half. I take it 3 or 4 times through the day 6 tabs each time. Usually right before or after a meal.

I think my X-Men capability is that I can eat a ton of anything and workout 15 minutes later without any problems. Just wanted to share that, I have no helpful suggestions for the OP.

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:
Ok so you think maybe I am over doing the protein pre-workout? Ill try that first I will save the whole protein drink for post work out and see how that works. Then if that does nothing I will do like you said and start at the liver tabs, then the caffeine. I hope it is just to much protein right before my lift. That would make things so easy to just drink the shake afterwards
[/quote]

What brand liver are you taking? How long have you taken it? Take it any other time during the day? [/quote]

It is called uni-lever I have been taking it for a week and a half. I take it 3 or 4 times through the day 6 tabs each time. Usually right before or after a meal.[/quote]

Uni-Lever had the same effect on me - try Beverly Int’l Ultra 40. Make sure you chew the tabs up really well.

Ok thanks for the advice, Mutsanah

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I think my X-Men capability is that I can eat a ton of anything and workout 15 minutes later without any problems. Just wanted to share that, I have no helpful suggestions for the OP.[/quote]

I envy you. TS, what I do is try not to overcomplicate things. I puke on anything except water/Surge Workout Fuel and I workout 3 hours after bfast. I follow the Surge protocol exactly as stated on the bottles and it’s worked great. I actually look foward to drinking Surge like a dopesick junkie needs a fix. Anything else I dread attempting.

What kind of energy pills are you taking? Do you drink coffee with your bfast? You should try Spike, it’s hands down the best energy supplement out there.

I don’t typically get an upset stomach. But almost everytime I walk into the gym I have to take a massive shit.

[quote]mcstoots082 wrote:
Ok thanks for the advice, Mutsanah
[/quote]

Also, start with just 2 liver tabs each meal - each week add 1 tab per meal until you build back up to the 6 per meal. Beverly Int’l suggests 1 tab per 10lbs bodyweight. So 180lb man 18 tabs per day spread out.

Thanks for the help guys. And on a side note I always have to take a dump right before I lift as well.