Upright Rows

Does anyone else get a sharp pain in their shoulder when doing them?

Is there a perfect alternative for them?

-dizzle

I used to get them but i widened my grip a few inches and it stopped.
as of alternatives, i’d also like to know

Alternatives? Military Press - and not nearly as rough on the rotator cuff :slight_smile:

Try them with a rope instead of a bar, easier on the shoulder…They are a great exercise but use in moderation,

ShadoW

Upright rows = death to your rotators

Haven’t done them myself in well over a decade when I read the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.

Here’s the question why are you upright rowing? After you answer that question select the proper exercises.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:

-dizzle[/quote]

Let’s just say, you’re not the only one. Lots of people feel your pain.

When looking for a perfect alternative, you want to exclude the pain?
I’m not kidding, there was this big guy in our club who used to complain about shouler pain to me, between sets of upright rows.

Anyway, upright rows with db’s. Or lateral raises.
Also, read anything there is to read on this site about shoulder health.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:

-dizzle[/quote]

If you absolutely must perform a variation of this exercise (but who really needs to?) try performing them from a low pulley using the rope attachment. This attachment will allow you to keep your thumbs pointed towards the sky at all times which makes it easier on your wrists.

To minimize shoulder discomfort try stepping back so that the cable is about at 45-60 degrees from the ground. This should get rid of the discomfort in your shoulders.

If all else fails, just ditch the exercise. There are plenty of other good ones out there.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:

-dizzle[/quote]

Use to love them, haven’t done them in maybe 13 years or more due to the pain.

Lateral raises with dumbbells and cables.

Upright Rows seem to kill some people’s shoulders. They started bothering me at some point, so I stopped using them altogether.

Try them with a shoulder-width grip (the narrow grip is what causes most shoulder problems) and keep the bar 8-12 inches away from your body. Only pull it high enough to reach your upper pecs. This is the method Vince Gironda was fond of using to hit the lateral head of the shoulder.

Thanks a lot guys, great advice.

To everyone who is asking why I must do them: the answer is that I really don’t NEED to do them, but they’re an excercise listed in the Superhero Program from CT which I’m going to be starting in 2 weeks.

On most of the shoulder days upright rows are listed as well as lateral raises, and even incline lateral raises on the same day in some cases.

Here’s the link: http://www.T-Nation.com/portal_includes/articles/2006/06-021B-training.html

I will second the upright with dumbells. I also stopped this excercise with a bar due to pain, but DBs do not give me any issues.

I always felt like upright rows somehow gave my shoulders a more ripped look more than anything else did and also I feel like they improved my posture.

They only reason I dont do them all the time is that I just have reduced my workouts to the most basic compound exercises only out of time constraints.

[quote]cueball wrote:
I will second the upright with dumbells. I also stopped this excercise with a bar due to pain, but DBs do not give me any issues.[/quote]

Holding the dumbbells to the side or infront of you (like you would with a barbell)?

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
cueball wrote:
I will second the upright with dumbells. I also stopped this excercise with a bar due to pain, but DBs do not give me any issues.

Holding the dumbbells to the side or infront of you (like you would with a barbell)?[/quote]

In front of you.

edit- this allows your hands to follow a natural arc out to the sides as you raise your elbows then back in at the top. A barbell will not allow this.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Try them with a shoulder-width grip (the narrow grip is what causes most shoulder problems) and keep the bar 8-12 inches away from your body. Only pull it high enough to reach your upper pecs. This is the method Vince Gironda was fond of using to hit the lateral head of the shoulder.[/quote]

I second that. Feels OK when I go a bit wider than shoulder width and use lighter weight. When using an narrower grip I lean forward around 10 degrees. This takes the stress off my joints and I can use more weight.

Thib says that he only recommends that you do them with a wider (shoulder width) grip and that you only bring the bar to the sternum. I have also read many times that you should not be going very heavy on these due to the amount of shoulder stress they create.

You can also do them with a rope or with db’s. The clean grip high pull is a good alternative also, I think.

If you want the most bang for your buck, try some variations of the clean. These will allow you to use more weight more safely than a strict upright row.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:

-dizzle[/quote]

Shrugs should do the trick.

I think if you grip the bar like in a power clean and keep your elbows out of the impingement zone(above shoulder height) that should be safe.

Shrugs work great for the upper traps but a lot folks do upright rows to hit the lower region. I’ve heard pull downs behind the neck and rows with a stretch at the bottom letting your shoulders move all the way forward also work the lower traps. Anyone else got any ideas how work that area without upright rows?