Upping My Deadlift...

Hi, I have a 1RM of 315lb at the moment on the deadlift at 6’1, 170lbs bodyweight…What would be a reasonable time frame for getting to 400lbs in the deadlift?

Give yourself 10 years. You should be there by then, I’d say thats reasonable. Honestly, who knows. The body doesn’t work in a linear or predictable fashion. If it did we’d all be deadlifting 1,600 lbs and 450 lbs with contest conditioning. It depends on how long you’ve been training. If your new to deadlifting, you can probably expect to see it get there quicker than if you’ve been training for years.

Ya I hear ya on the progression not being linear…I guess what I should ask is if a 400lb deadlift is attainable by the average trainee…nice back btw (no homo)

Thanks. Yes its very attainable. I’ve reached that mark and so have 2 people that have trained with me in the past year (they were <170lbs). If you train for strength and incorporate lots of low reps and singles, you’ll get there.

If you train for strength, i would say you can get it in the next 6 months tops.

[quote]spinach wrote:
Ya I hear ya on the progression not being linear…I guess what I should ask is if a 400lb deadlift is attainable by the average trainee…nice back btw (no homo)[/quote]

That’s easily attainable, a lot of people can pull that with 9 to 12 months of training, sometimes much quicker.

cool thanks for the replies guys.

According to the stronglifts.com 5x5 program with a 3RM of 285lbs I’ll be able to reach 1x5x400lbs in 10 weeks. Although it is just a spreadsheet…but I am going to give it a damn good beasting.

it just depends.

I never used to do deads and my powerlifting friend got me into them. I used to be afraid of the weight, esp that I was gonna hurt my back, but he told me not to be a pussy and worked with me for two weeks on my technique.

My first pull ever was 285. The next time i got 320. And 5 weeks later i was at 405. I was 6 foot 250lbs and fat, but still had lifted for 2 years.

The point is…like everyone mentioned…progress at different rates…but 400lbs is easily attainable, esp if that is your main goal to reach that weight. I would say 12 weeks…